Some outsiders associate The Lone Star State with the typical southwestern desert landscape of a western movie. That image really only describes a small portion of this state. The state’s ocean coastline is the sixth longest in the United States, and Texas is also sixth in the nation for the number of registered boats. Major rivers define three state borders, and this state is also full of natural and manmade lakes, streams, and bayous. Any Texan who owns a boat should consider the value of Texas boat insurance.
A local member agent in the Trusted Choice® network can evaluate your unique requirements and suggest sensible policy options. These agents can also supply you with free Texas boat insurance quotes from multiple companies. Contact a Trusted Choice member agent today to get a list of quotes for your speedboat, pontoon boat, yacht and virtually any other watercraft on the market today.
Texas Boat Insurance Facts and Costs
- Insurance for personal boats may cost less than $1 a day
- Average personal boat insurance cost estimate: $300 to $500 a year
- Typical boat policies include these deductibles: $250 for property damage, $500 for theft, $1,000 for medical payments
- Liability limits may start at $15,000, but can be increased
State residents who operate commercial shrimp boats off of Galveston Island will have different coverage needs than Houstonians who pull their bass boats, sail boats, or kayaks out of storage a few times a year. Boat insurance premiums will depend on the value of your watercraft, the way it is used, your preferences, and other factors.
What Affects Texas Boat Insurance Quotes?
Boat Type: A commercial fishing boat will cost more to insure, and will need more comprehensive coverage than a small personal fishing boat.
Storage and Land Transportation: Do you leave your bass boat or sailboat in a marina slip or stored near the dock? Alternatively, do you tow it several miles to get to the water? A boat kept docked in a Clear Lake marina may have different coverage needs than one stored in a Dallas garage.
A package of protection for a small personal watercraft may only cost a few hundred dollars a year. Commercial boat insurance could cost thousands of dollars a year depending on the use and value of the boat.
- Just as with any other type of vehicle insurance, you may be able to earn discounts for things you do to your reduce risks. You may also get discounts if you opt to pay less frequently - paying once a year versus monthly often lowers your overall rate.
- Before purchasing any new or used boat, take the time to learn about the available coverage and which insurers provide the best rates.
- It pays to shop around if you are already own an insured boat. Your local Trusted Choice member agent can make this task easy.
What Does Typical Watercraft Insurance Cover?
Texas boat insurance is available with a variety of coverage options depending upon your specific needs and budget. This is a very brief explanation and you might discuss the details with your local Trusted Choice member agent.
- Boat property damage liability: This covers you if you damage somebody else’s boat or other property.
- Bodily injury liability: This protects you in case you cause an injury to someone else.
- Property damage coverage: This covers your own boat.
- Property coverage for equipment: If you carry extra equipment, like expensive scuba gear or fishing equipment and electronics, you may need to insure those separately.
- Towing coverage: If your boat or trailer gets damaged, preventing you from getting it home or to a repair shop, this can pay for transport.
- Medical payments coverage: This covers medical bills for injuries to you or your passengers.
- Uninsured/underinsured boaters: If your boat gets damaged by an uninsured or hit-and-run boater, you can be covered
If you tow your boat on a public roadway, your auto liability insurance may cover your trailer. It is less likely that your auto insurance will cover damages to your boat. You can ask a member agent in the Trusted Choice network how you might be covered in case your boat is involved in an auto accident.
Compare and Find Texas Boat Insurance
Boat policies can be complicated. Contacting your local member agent in the Trusted Choice network can help simplify the process. One of these local independent agents can offer you free competitive rate quotes, expert advice, and helpful service.
The right Texas boat insurance policy can save you money now and into the future. Contact a Trusted Choice network agent right away to learn more about which Texas boat insurance coverage is best for your situation.