The state of Utah is one of the top destinations for ATV enthusiasts. Not only is the terrain ATV-friendly, but the whole state engages in ATV activities, ranging from ATV trail rides to races and jamborees.
The state government is also very active when it comes to ATV laws. They have strict usage rules, and encourage riders to respect trails, riders, and even their vehicles. Youths aged 8-15 must pass a "Know Before You Go" certification course in order to ride. Additionally, there are age requirements for certain engine sizes. Finally, all riders must wear helmets at all times, unless they're using the ATV for agricultural purposes.
One other very important way to protect yourself on your ATV is by purchasing ATV insurance to cover you and your vehicle while you're enjoying the trails.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Utah ATV Facts
- Between 2008 and 2011, there were 120 reported deaths caused by ATV accidents.
- Between 1982 and 2011, there were 539 reported deaths involving ATVs.
- The injury rate is increasing fastest for children under the age of 16.
It's incredibly important to stay safe while on the trails. This includes making sure your ATV is functioning properly, and that you have protective gear, extra supplies, and a first aid kit and fire extinguisher. One additional protection you need on the trail with your ATV is insurance. ATV insurance is meant to protect you from some of the most common risks you encounter while riding ATVs, and in the case of an accident, can help you pay for medical bills, legal fees and repairs.
What is ATV Insurance?
ATV insurance is a set of policies put in place to help protect you from common events such as accidents, breakdowns and theft. A typical ATV insurance policy may include the following:
- Liability: This coverage is extremely important. It can cover the damage you cause to others or their property or vehicles. If you're deemed at fault for an accident, this coverage is meant to help you avoid the possible financial impacts of an ATV accident.
- Collision: This helps cover costs associated with an ATV accident, regardless of who is at fault. It covers repairs to your ATV. Some policies can cover medical bills and rentals as well.
- Comprehensive: This coverage is also known as "everything other than collision." Got into a wreck with a tree? Was your ATV stolen? Whatever the case, if you're involved in an incident not including a collision with another rider, this insurance can help you get the repairs you need. It also includes coverage for events such as fire, wind, rain and arson.
- Uninsured or underinsured motorist: This pays for your injuries and property damage resulting from an accident caused by another driver who has limited or no insurance.
What Types of ATVs Are Covered by ATV Insurance?
Insurance companies understand that there are many types of ATVs out on the trails and parks in UT. Knowing this, they offer insurance policies for most types of ATVs, including the following:
- Racing ATVs
- Trail ATVs
- Farm ATVs
- Utility ATVs
- Jobsite ATVs
- Dune buggies
This list is not exhaustive, but includes just a few of the most popular types of ATVs covered by insurance.
How Much Liability Insurance Do I Need for My ATV?
When it comes to getting the best coverage for your individual situation, think about the following:
- Who will operate the ATV? It's important to think about who will be riding the ATV. Younger children and teenagers face a much higher rate than older riders. Additionally, impaired driving is a major factor in a large number of ATV accidents. It's against the law to drink or use drugs while riding an ATV in UT.
- Where will you ride your ATV? Do you typically spend a day on flat, open terrain, or do you enjoy forests and curvy trails? Your liability policy limits should reflect your riding style.
- How will you use your ATV? The purpose of your ATV insurance is important. Is it used for farm purposes, work purposes, hunting, or just leisure? The risks for someone who uses their ATV for farming are much different from those who use them for leisure.
- What assets must you protect? It's a fact: High net-worth individuals have virtual targets on their backs when it comes to lawsuits. In this litigious society, it's critical to have your assets protected by a sufficient ATV policy.
What Will My ATV Insurance Quote Look Like?
ATV insurance policies can vary in price, due to different riders facing different risks. When shopping for an insurance policy, be sure to have the following information in order to get an accurate quote:
- Your gender/age
- Where you live
- Where you ride
- Type of riding you do
- Who will operate the ATV
- Type of ATV
- Make/model of ATV
- Size of ATV
- Where ATV will be stored
- Preferred coverage
- Preferred deductible
All of these factors will be considered when giving you a quote for ATV insurance.
Are There Discounts on ATV Insurance?
Just like most other insurance policies, there are discounts available on ATV insurance as well. These may include the following:
- Multi-policy discount
- Multi-unit discount
- Paid-in-full discount
- Claims-free discount
- Good credit discount
- Safety course completion discount
These are just a few of the discounts that you may be eligible for. Each insurance company has different discounts available, so be sure to ask about any discounts you may not be aware of.
How Do I Get Utah ATV Insurance?
When it comes to purchasing ATV insurance in Utah, it's important to have a professional by your side to help you choose the best policies for you. A Trusted Choice® agent is always available to help guide you through confusing insurance wording, suggest coverages, or even help you file a claim.
These agents have years of experience working with Utah insurance providers, enabling them to find you a number of quotes from a variety of companies. Contact a Trusted Choice agent near you to get a quote for ATV insurance that fits your situation and your budget.