Boaters, fishermen, and water sports enthusiasts have numerous opportunities to enjoy fun on the water in Utah.
If you own a boat in Utah, you're required to carry boat insurance to protect you and other boaters from the financial impacts of an accident.
A local independent insurance agent can help you get quotes for the best boat insurance in Utah.
Is Boat Insurance Required in Utah?
Utah requires boat owners to purchase boat liability insurance with the following limits, at a minimum:
- $25,000/$50,000 bodily injury liability coverage
- $15,000 property damage liability overage
- $65,000 combined minimum per accident
Motorboats are exempt from this requirement if they are equipped with engines less than 50 horsepower, and all airboats are exempt as well.
Proof of insurance must be carried onboard the motorboat whenever it is in operation.
What Does Boat Insurance Cover in Utah?
There are over 11 million boats registered in the US. With that many boats out on the water, every boat owner faces the risk of causing or being a victim of accidents, injuries, and even death. The statistics below are staggering:
- Yearly boating deaths in the US: 613
- Yearly boating accidents in the US: 4,168
- Yearly boating injuries in the US: 2,559
- Annual amount of boating damage in the US: $455.32 million
That’s why boat insurance is so important in Utah, whether you have a speedboat, a fishing boat, a pontoon, a sailboat, a yacht, or even a simple paddleboat.
Most boat insurance policies provide coverage for physical damage to the boat, as well as liability protection as required by the state. This means that if your boat is damaged or if you cause bodily injury or property damage to someone else while operating your boat, your boat insurance policy will provide the coverage you need.
Boat insurance is similar to car insurance and usually includes the following types of coverage:
- Boat liability coverage: Includes both property damage and bodily injury liability, and pays for damage that you cause to someone’s property or injuries that you cause to an individual while you are operating your boat.
- Boat collision coverage: Pays for the cost of repairing or replacing your boat due to physical damage resulting from a collision.
- Boat comprehensive coverage: Pays for repairing or replacing your boat if it is stolen, vandalized, or damaged in some way other than a collision.
You can also add additional types of coverage, including underinsured and uninsured boater coverage, towing coverage, and coverage for fishing equipment, tools, life preservers, and other personal property on board your boat.
Save on Boat Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
How Much Does Boat Insurance Cost in Utah?
The average annual cost of boat insurance in Utah is $208. But different boats require different types of coverage, so boat insurance costs in Utah will vary.
Your boat insurance premiums will be based on the coverage and deductibles you choose, as well as the following:
- How often you use your boat
- Your driving record on and off the water
- Previous boat insurance claims
- Safety courses you have taken
- Horsepower of the motor
- Your age and gender
- The year, make, and model of the boat and motor
- Age of the boat
- Where the boat is stored (e.g., on a trailer or at a marina)
Each of these factors plays a role in your boat insurance quotes in Utah.
You might save some money if you’re eligible for an insurance company discount. Some insurance companies may offer a discount if you purchase other policies, such as homeowners insurance or car insurance, with the same company. Every insurance company offers different types of discounts. An independent insurance agent can help you determine which discounts you are eligible for.
Who Are the Best Boat Insurance Companies in Utah?
It can be simple to find the best boat insurance companies in Utah. A local independent insurance agent can help you get boat insurance quotes from multiple insurance companies, so you can select the best policy for your needs and budget.
How Can an Independent Insurance Agent Help Me Find the Best Boat Insurance in Utah?
Instead of getting an online quote, find an independent insurance agent now, and get one-on-one consultation and affordable options for the best coverage for your unique needs. Your agent will work with you free of charge, offering you a variety of boat insurance quotes in Utah, so you can make the best choice.
What’s more, your agent will be there for you when claim time comes. They know the ins and outs of the process and will make sure your claim is handled appropriately.
Contact an agent today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.