Westminster is home to more than 100,000 people. Many who work in the city of Denver choose to make the commute from this conveniently located municipality. If you are among the many homeowners in this scenic and lively city, you will want to be sure to cover your property with a comprehensive and reliable homeowners insurance policy.
Local independent insurance agents can help you find the best and most affordable coverage for your Westminster home. Contact an insurance agent near you to start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Westminster, CO?
The average cost of home insurance in this state is slightly higher than the national average. But in Westminster, the average rate is lower. This is great news for area homeowners who are looking for coverage at a competitive price.
Of course, your actual homeowners insurance quotes are likely to be different from this average rate. This is because costs are calculated individually according to several different factors. These can include:
- The age, size and value of your home
- The number of stories in your house and whether it has a basement
- The materials used in the construction of your house
- Your claims history and credit score
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance or life insurance
Each insurance company has its own way of assessing risk and computing rates, so comparing a variety of quotes lets you to choose the homeowners insurance policy that offers the coverage you need at the lowest price. Independent insurance agents in Westminster make comparison shopping easy.
What Kinds of Damage Are Covered by Westminster Home Insurance?
Home insurance policies are designed to cover your property against most of the hazards you are likely to face as a property owner in Westminster. This includes risks ranging from fires, whether accidental or caused by wildfires, to severe weather events. Dwelling insurance covers the structure of your house while contents insurance covers the personal belongings inside it.
Catastrophic Events in Colorado
- Number of federally declared disasters in Colorado: 95
- Most common reason for disasters in the state: Fires
- Average number of tornadoes per year in Colorado: 49.5
- Average amount of property damage per year in CO: $1.75 billion
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
Westminster residents are most at risk for damage caused by severe storms, hail, strong winds and, less frequently, tornadoes. Additionally, heavy snows and freezing temperatures have the potential to cause expensive damage to your home, particularly if a water pipe bursts. Fortunately, these hazards are covered by most home insurance policies.
Unfortunately, homeowners insurance does not cover damage caused by floods, landslides, mudslides, or earthquakes. If your property is at risk for any of these hazards, your local insurance agent can help you get the coverage you need through supplemental policies like flood insurance and earthquake insurance.
Why Is Liability Insurance Important for Westminster Homeowners?
We live in a litigious society. Liability lawsuits can be extremely expensive. Sometimes, they can even cause so much financial harm that you could potentially lose your home. That is why homeowners insurance also provides you with personal liability insurance as a standard part of your coverage.
Homeowners liability insurance is designed to cover court costs, legal fees, and financial damages if you are sued for a covered event. Some examples of times your homeowners liability coverage may be of use include:
- If a guest in your home is badly injured in an accident that can be attributed to negligence of upkeep on your part.
- If you accidentally cause injuries to someone while you are away from your home, such as while hitting the links at the Legacy Ridge Golf Course.
- If someone in your household, including your children or your pets, causes injuries or property damage to someone else.
- If you are accused of libel due to something you posted online.
If you want to have more liability coverage than your home insurance will provide, you can supplement your policy with umbrella insurance. This is a highly affordable way to boost all of your liability coverage. A local independent insurance agent can help you acquire all the liability coverage you want at a competitive price.
Does Westminster Homeowners Insurance Cover against Burglaries?
The burglary rate in Colorado is lower than the national rate, and in Westminster, the rate is even lower. This is not to say that the risk does not exist. Residents of this city report more than 325 burglaries every year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 3.76
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Colorado: 3.75
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Westminster: 3.29
While the risk of a burglary is relatively low, you may gain some peace of mind by knowing that if your house is broken into, your homeowners insurance can reimburse you for your losses as well as for any damage the burglar may have caused. If you own any particularly valuable possessions, you may need to purchase special endorsements or riders in order for them to be fully covered under your contents coverage. A local independent insurance agent can help you be sure that your property is properly insured.
What about Westminster Residents with Second Homes and Vacation Homes?
Maybe you maintain a winter vacation home in Arizona or California. Or perhaps you have a second home that you rent out for additional income. Whatever your reasons, if you own more than one house, you will need to be sure that all of your properties are covered by appropriate homeowners insurance policies.
When you own a house that is not used as your primary residence, there are often additional risk factors that insurance companies will take into consideration. In some cases, you may be required to purchase specialized home insurance coverage.
- Vacation properties that are not used for several months out of the year typically have an increased risk of property damage. Your insurer may require you to have vacant home insurance during the times your vacation house is unoccupied.
- Second homes that are occupied by tenants have higher liability risks and a greater chance of sustaining serious property damage. These homes typically need to be covered by landlord insurance.
A local independent insurance agent can help you be certain that all of your residential properties are properly covered by competitively priced policies.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Westminster, CO?
The easiest way to obtain the best and most affordable insurance for your Westminster home is by working with a local independent agent. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so they are able to shop around in order to find you reliable coverage at a competitive price.
Find an independent insurance agent with an office in Westminster to set up a one-on-one consultation. You can start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes in no time.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.