Colorado is home to some of the best motorcycle roads in the country. From the San Juan Skyway to the Black Canyon Run, this state's diverse and picturesque scenery draws motorcycle enthusiasts from all over the country. It is little wonder then that so many Colorado residents are the proud owners of bikes.
Of course, you can’t take your bike out on the road without first securing an appropriate motorcycle insurance policy. When you are looking for the best and most affordable motorcycle coverage in Colorado, an independent insurance agent can help. Contact an insurance agent near you to start comparing quotes.
Is Motorcycle Insurance Required in Colorado?
Yes. Just like with car insurance, if you want to ride your bike around in Colorado, you will need to first make sure that it is covered by a suitable motorcycle insurance policy. In this state, your policy must include, at a minimum, liability insurance in the following amounts:
- Bodily injury coverage per person: Minimum of $25,000
- Total bodily injury coverage per incident: Minimum of $50,000
- Property damage coverage per incident: $15,000
All other coverage is optional.
Motorcycle insurance policies go with the bike, so if you are riding someone else’s motorcycle, your policy won't cover you. Rather, you will be covered by the policy held by the owner of that bike.
How Much Does Motorcycle Insurance Cost in Colorado?
The average cost of motorcycle insurance in Colorado is $534 a year. Of course, rates can vary from person to person because they are calculated on an individual basis. Factors that insurance companies will take into consideration when pricing your policy include:
- Details about the motorcycle you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, riding experience and traffic citation history
- Your claims history and credit score
- Whether you qualify for any offered policy discounts
An independent insurance agent in Colorado can help you find the policy that offers the best value by obtaining a variety of customized quotes from different insurance companies. Contact an insurance agent to look at quotes now.
What Does Motorcycle Insurance Cover?
Motorcycle insurance is very similar to car insurance. In Colorado, riders are required to have liability insurance, but all over coverage is optional. You can expect a typical Colorado motorcycle insurance policy to offer the following coverage:
- Liability coverage: This is the only coverage that is required. It is designed to cover third-party injuries and property damage if you are responsible for a collision while out on your bike.
- Collision coverage: This is designed to cover damage to your motorcycle caused by a collision, regardless of fault. You can purchase actual value or replacement value coverage to replace your bike in the event of a total loss.
- Comprehensive insurance: This is designed to cover damage to your motorcycle caused by a non-collision event such as a flood or tornado. It can also compensate you for your loss if your bike is stolen. As with collision insurance, you can purchase actual value or replacement value coverage.
- Personal injury protection coverage: This is designed to cover medical treatment for you and your passenger if you are injured in a motorcycle accident.
- Accessory coverage: This can cover any customized accessories or equipment that you have added to your motorcycle. It can also increase the bike’s assessed value if it is deemed a total loss due to a collision or non-collision event.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: If an uninsured driver hits your bike while you are out on the road, this can cover your medical treatment and damage without the need for you to sue the at-fault driver. Your insurance company will take on the burden of collecting from the uninsured driver instead.
- Towing and roadside assistance coverage: If your motorcycle becomes disabled while out on the road, you won't need to worry about the cost of a tow or mechanical assistance if you have this optional coverage.
Your local independent agent can further explain your coverage options and can provide you with quotes so you can see how much it will cost to add each coverage type to your policy.
Can I Earn Discounts on My Motorcycle Insurance Premiums?
Most motorcycle insurance providers in Colorado offer certain discounts for which you may qualify. Examples of savings opportunities you may encounter include discounts for:
- Passing a motorcycle safety course
- Being a member of a qualifying organization or riding association
- Owing your home
- Bundling your coverage with other policies like home insurance or condo insurance
- Paying your annual premium in full
Your local independent agent can help you take advantage of all the discount opportunities you qualify for when searching for the best motorcycle insurance policy to meet your coverage needs.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
Independent insurance agents provide professional, personalized service. These agents are not tied to a particular insurance provider, so they are free to shop around to find you the policies with the best coverage and most competitive prices.
There are more than 250 independent agents with offices in Colorado. Find an insurance agent near you to learn more and start comparing customized insurance quotes.