At the foot of the Berkshires, there’s a lot to do in and around Chicopee, MA. Whether it’s a day hike in the mountains or a trip to Boston to go shopping, there’s always a lot to do. But to enjoy it all takes getting around, which means owning a car is nearly a necessity. Driving a car in western Massachusetts means having car insurance, and the choices you have to make are complex. Fortunately, for residents of Chicopee, auto insurance comes at a very reasonable cost.
Your Independent Insurance Agent will not only help you navigate the requirements and options to find the best car insurance, but they will also get quotes from many different companies. You can then compare the quotes to find the most affordable policy that fits your lifestyle. There is no doubt that car insurance in Massachusetts is expensive. While that stems from the craziness of the cities on the coast, Chicopee auto insurance is more reasonable. The figures from recent years tell the story:
- The U.S. average is $1,311 per year for car insurance premiums.
- Massachusetts averages $1,460 every year.
- The Bay State ranks 16th overall in car insurance cost.
- Claimed losses totaled $6,530,654 in Massachusetts alone.
Car insurance is not there just to keep your car looking like new. The biggest costs of accidents stem from injuries suffered. Medical bills are nearly unlimited in potential liability even in relatively minor accidents. It is important to have the right coverage for the risk that you take by getting on the roads every day.
Massachusetts Car Insurance Requirements
Car insurance is required by state law in Massachusetts, and every driver has to have some minimum level of coverage against liability:
- Bodily Injury Liability: State law requires a minimum of $20,000 per person covered and a minimum of $40,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability: The state requires a minimum of $5,000 in protection against damage to any property in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection: This is also required for all motorists, with a minimum of $5,000 in protection against injury.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: Coverage against uninsured drivers is required in Massachusetts as well.
If you want to keep your car looking its best, you can also choose to have comprehensive coverage for your vehicle. This covers anything that happens to your vehicle, either while it is on the road or while it is parked. You can even elect to have a rental car included while your car is in the shop so you can always get around no matter what happens.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Massachusetts
Insurance is required by state law, but some Massachusetts drivers do not have any. That means that when an accident happens, you are left on your own to cover any expenses unless you have uninsured motorist coverage. You are required by law to carry uninsured motorist coverage for this reason. Consider these statistics from recent years:
- Nationally, 12.6% of all drivers do not have insurance.
- In Massachusetts, it’s a much more reasonable 3.9%.
While it’s not a huge problem here, the uninsured motorist protection you have to have protects you from the scofflaws who aren’t carrying the insurance they need.
Number of Auto Thefts in Massachusetts
While it may surprise you, Massachusetts has a very low rate of car theft. Here are some more statistics from recent years:
- The U.S. average is 2.94 thefts per 1,000.
- In Massachusetts, the rate is 1.91 per 1,000 cars.
It is still important to be covered in case of theft, especially for certain makes and models. You never know which types of car are most stolen, so it’s important to check before you buy a new car to find out what it will cost to insure it.
Find a Great Chicopee Car Insurance Policy
The best place to start for the best insurance is your Independent Agent. There is a car insurance policy out there that is right for you but finding it can be difficult. You want the experts who know their way around many different insurance companies to be there to help you find the policy you need at a price you can afford.