Find the Best Car Insurance Quotes & Options in Massachusetts
On average, car insurance policies in Massachusetts cost about $1,460 per year. This is a bit more expensive than the current national average of $1,311 per year. However, there are some key ways to save money on car insurance premiums, including by scoring discounts on your coverage.
An independent insurance agent in Massachusetts can help you get equipped with all the car insurance you need. They'll even help you find the best discounts for you. But up first, here's a behind-the-scenes look at car insurance in Massachusetts.
Best Car Insurance Companies in Massachusetts
When shopping for car insurance, it's helpful to go straight to the best carriers in your state. Since not all car insurance companies are created equally in terms of coverage options, cost, etc., we've compiled a list of our favorites to help you. Check out some of our top picks for the best car insurance companies in Massachusetts.
- Best Massachusetts car insurance company overall: Progressive
- Best Massachusetts car insurance company for minimum liability: Allstate
- Best Massachusetts car insurance company for full coverage: Plymouth Rock Assurance
- Best Massachusetts car insurance company for young drivers: Progressive
- Best Massachusetts car insurance company for accident history: Plymouth Rock Assurance
A Massachusetts independent insurance agent can help you compare quotes and policy options from all of these car insurance companies and more.
Best Massachusetts Car Insurance Company Overall: Progressive
Our top choice for the best Massachusetts car insurance company overall goes to Progressive. The carrier's sky-high financial strength, many car insurance discounts, and 24/7/365 customer service make Progressive a top contender any day of the week. In Massachusetts, Progressive offers full coverage car insurance policies for an average of $1,905 per year.
First started in 1937, Progressive is quite the experienced carrier. The insurance company was the nation's first to offer installment premium payments, which was groundbreaking for the industry. Progressive's original mission was to become the first choice for car insurance among both consumers and agents.
Progressive earns our top choice in this category for many reasons. The insurance company's longstanding history and huge product catalog have also helped create Progressive's reputation as a stable insurance company that's here to stay.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Full Coverage Policy||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Full Coverage Policy|
Best Massachusetts Car Insurance Company for Minimum Liability: Allstate
Our top choice for the best car insurance company in Massachusetts for minimum liability coverage goes to Allstate. Allstate earns our top pick for this category because of its discount options for bundling, clean driving records, completing driver's education courses, and more. The carrier also offers minimum coverage car insurance policies at affordable rates, of about $518 per year.
Originally founded in 1931 as part of Sears, Roebuck & Co., Allstate first sold car insurance only but has since greatly expanded its product offerings. The insurance company has operated fully independently from Sears since 1995. Allstate is also a Fortune 500 company.
In recent years, official reports demonstrated that Allstate had amassed more than $119 billion in assets. Allstate has an "A+" or superior rating from AM Best for financial strength. Basically, this insurance company is one of the most established and stable carriers on the market.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Minimum Liability-Only||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Minimum Liability-Only|
Best Massachusetts Car Insurance Company for Full Coverage: Plymouth Rock Assurance
Our pick for the best Massachusetts car insurance company for full coverage goes to Plymouth Rock Assurance. This carrier offers all the auto insurance coverages needed by most drivers, in addition to their special "limited collision" coverage, which reimburses drivers for direct, accidental damage to their vehicle if they were considered only 50% or less at fault for the collision. Plymouth Rock Assurance also offers replacement cost coverage for stolen or lost belongings in the vehicle, as well as substitute transportation coverage for a rental car.
Originally founded in 1982 with the mission to provide auto insurance with quality customer service, Plymouth Rock is headquartered in Boston, MA. The carrier is a true local favorite for drivers in Massachusetts.
The insurance company is a part of the Plymouth Rock Group of Companies, which writes more than $1 billion in combined auto and homeowners insurance premiums. Plymouth Rock Assurance has excellent ratings from both AM Best for financial strength and overall by the Better Business Bureau.
Best Massachusetts Car Insurance Company for Young Drivers: Progressive
Our top choice for the best Massachusetts car insurance company for young drivers and students goes to Progressive. For families with teen drivers and students listed on their policies, Progressive makes coverage affordable. Policies for teen drivers on their parents' coverage start at just $1,271 annually.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Families with Teen Drivers||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Families with Teen Drivers|
Best Massachusetts Car Insurance Company for Accident History: Plymouth Rock Assurance
Our top choice for the best Massachusetts car insurance company for drivers with at-fault accidents and other violations on their record goes to Plymouth Rock Assurance. Though many insurance companies make auto insurance rates extremely expensive after just one accident or ticket, Plymouth Rock Assurance keeps coverage affordable, at rates averaging just $103 per month.
|Average Monthly Insurance Cost: Drivers with Poor Records||Average Annual Insurance Cost: Drivers with Poor Records|
Massachusetts Car Insurance Requirements
Every state requires drivers to carry some type of car insurance before legally being allowed to drive. Massachusetts is no exception to this rule. The state actually requires more minimum coverage than many others. Don't hit the road in Massachusetts before you get a car insurance policy with at least the following:
- Bodily injury liability: In Massachusetts, you'll need at least $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident of this coverage. It pays for medical treatments to other drivers and their passengers after an accident you're at fault for.
- Property damage liability: In Massachusetts, you'll need at least $5,000 per accident of this coverage. It pays for repairs to another person's personal property, including signposts, sheds, etc., if you damage it with your vehicle.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: In Massachusetts, you'll need at least $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident of this coverage. It pays for repairs to your own vehicle and medical treatments to you and your passengers if the other driver was at fault and doesn't carry any of or enough of their own coverage.
- Personal injury protection: In Massachusetts, you'll need at least $8,000 of this coverage. It pays for medical treatments for your own injuries or your passengers' injuries after an accident you're at fault for.
Optional car insurance coverages in Massachusetts include:
- Comprehensive: Threats other than collision, including theft, vandalism, windshield breaks, and more, are covered.
- Collision: Damage to your own vehicle after an accident you're at fault for is covered.
- Medical payments: Medical treatments for your own injuries or injuries to your passengers after an accident you're at fault for are covered.
- Roadside assistance: Towing and other roadside services are covered if you break down on the road.
- Rental car reimbursement: Rental car costs after a covered accident are covered.
- Gap coverage: The difference between what your vehicle is worth and what you owe on your remaining vehicle loan, should you get into a collision, is covered.
A Massachusetts independent insurance agent will help you assemble a car insurance policy with all the coverages you need most.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Average Cost of Car Insurance in Massachusetts
Car insurance in Massachusetts costs $1,460 annually on average. But depending on the insurance carrier you choose, as well as which coverages go into your policy, etc., car insurance rates can vary. Minimum, liability-only car insurance costs average $518 annually in Massachusetts, while a "full coverage" policy averages $1,478 annually.
Average Massachusetts Car Insurance Costs by City
Different factors impact car insurance rates by city. These factors include things like local crime rates, severe weather risks, car values, and traffic. In Massachusetts, resident drivers in the city of Acton pay the lowest average car insurance rates in the whole state, at just $101 per month. But folks in Worchester pay about $166 for car insurance each month, the highest in the state.
Finding Car Insurance Discounts in Massachusetts
Though car insurance can be more expensive in Massachusetts than in many other states, you can still save a substantial amount on your premiums if you find the right discounts. Discount options will vary by insurance company, but most carriers offer several for car insurance. Just a few common car insurance discounts you can find in Massachusetts are:
- Safe driver discounts: Given to customers with no accidents or traffic violations over the past few years.
- Student driver discounts: Given to customers with households that have a student driver listed on the policy.
- Anti-theft device discounts: Given to customers whose vehicles are equipped with anti-theft devices like alarms.
- Military discounts: Given to active and retired military members.
- Paperless billing discounts: Given to customers who sign up for paperless billing statements.
- Other discounts: Given to customers who belong to organizations like a union, group, the government, or teachers.
Your Massachusetts independent insurance agent can help you find any discounts you qualify for on your car insurance.
How to Find the Best Car Insurance Quote in Massachusetts
Massachusetts independent insurance agents make this task so much easier for you. They can shop and compare quotes from tons of different Massachusetts car insurance companies. Then, together in one place, they'll present only the top results.
How to File a Car Insurance Claim in Massachusetts
Filing a car insurance claim in Massachusetts can be done in just a few simple steps. Though it's never a fun process, filing a car insurance claim is sometimes necessary. That's why it's helpful to know which steps to take, including:
- Filing a police report: It's your first priority to file a police report after an accident, ideally ASAP.
- Seeking treatment for any injuries: Next up, get medical treatment for any injured parties.
- Calling your independent insurance agent: Now, call up your Massachusetts independent insurance agent. They can help walk you through the rest of the claims process, or even file the claim for you and provide you with the claim number.
- Securing a rental vehicle: If you need a rental vehicle, arrange for this with your car insurance company so you can stay mobile.
- Scheduling a visit with an adjuster: Your car insurance company will likely require your vehicle to be evaluated by an insurance adjuster, so you'll need to make arrangements for this next.
Your Massachusetts independent insurance agent is there for you during the car insurance claims process to help make the whole thing easier and more streamlined.