After a long, cold winter is over and the warm weather returns, it’s tempting to jump on your bike and ride, but it’s important to have the proper protection first. Most importantly, this means wearing a helmet. In fact, riders without helmets are 40% more likely to experience a fatal head injury. Just because you buckle that chin strap doesn’t mean you’re fully covered. To get the best form of protection before hitting the open road, be sure to purchase Massachusetts motorcycle insurance.
A Trusted Choice® member agent can help you decide how much coverage you need and will compare Massachusetts motorcycle insurance quotes to find a policy that works for you. Independent agents can provide comparisons from multiple companies, because unlike “captive agents” who can only quote from one source, independent agents work for you. Contact a Trusted Choice member agent to get personalized assistance with all your insurance needs.
- In 2010, there were 159,000 registered private and commercial motorcycles.
- In 2008, 42 motorcyclists were killed.
- In 2009, 55 motorcyclists were killed.
- In 2010, 56 motorcyclists were killed.
- Close to half of deaths involved riders aged 20 to 29.
- Almost half of all fatal accidents happen in the Boston metropolitan area.
Do I Need Massachusetts Motorcycle Insurance?
You do need to carry insurance on your motorcycle according to Massachusetts state law. Finding a motorcycle policy that works for you can be a challenge. This is where an independent agent in the Trusted Choice network comes in handy. Your member agent will ensure your policy meets the minimum liability limits set by the state, and ensure that you are protected with more comprehensive coverage if necessary.
If you’re caught without insurance, you could face a traffic citation which affects your driving record. Worse, if you cause an accident and don't have insurance, you're still liable for all damages and bodily injuries you cause.
Each state sets a minimum amount of insurance motorists must carry to legally take to the roads. The minimum liability limits in Massachusetts are:
- Bodily injury: $20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident
- Personal injury protection (PIP): $8,000 minimum
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist: $20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident
- Property damage: $5,000 minimum
Riders can be injured in a many different ways, and even minor accidents can lead to costly medical bills. If you miss work because of an accident, you may not be compensated for the lost time. Maintaining the legal minimums will help you avoid a ticket, but if you want more protection, purchase a more comprehensive Massachusetts motorcycle insurance plan through an independent agent in the Trusted Choice network.
How Much Coverage Do I Need?
Your Trusted Choice member agent can help you decide which additional coverage forms you need for your motorcycle. Also, if you have dirt bikes, sport bikes, or choppers, be sure to let your independent agent know; different two-wheeled vehicles may require different types of coverage. Here are some other policies worth looking into:
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: If a driver causes an accident and has no insurance or the insurance amounts won’t cover the full cost of your injuries or property damage, uninsured motorist coverage will kick in to help pay for expenses. Recommended coverage amounts begin at $100,000 per person and $300,000 per accident.
- Collision: This will pay for damage to your motorcycle regardless of who caused the accident.
- Comprehensive: This covers any damage to your bike from non-collision sources like severe weather, fire, or vandalism/theft.
- Medical payments/PIP: If you suffer an injury during an accident and only have liability coverage, your medical expenses are likely not covered. A combination of medical payments and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage can help pay for your medical care.
If you still aren’t sure which policies are best for you, contact a Trusted Choice member agent. An independent agent can help you compare Massachusetts motorcycle insurance quotes to find the right fit. It only takes a few moments to find a Trusted Choice independent agent right in your ZIP code. Contact a local independent agent in the Trusted Choice network today to get Massachusetts motorcycle insurance and get out on the road safely.