Massachusetts has a lot of great roads for riding. From the Shelburne Falls Loop to the Mohawk Trail, this scenic state has much to offer. That may explain why there are nearly 170,000 motorcycles registered in the Bay State. Of course, you can’t take your bike out on the open road without motorcycle insurance.
Local independent agents can help you find a suitable policy at a competitive price. These agents can obtain customized quotes from some of the best motorcycle insurance companies in Massachusetts so you can choose the policy that offers the best value. Find an independent insurance agent near you to get started.
How Much Does Motorcycle Insurance Cost in Massachusetts?
The average cost of motorcycle insurance in Massachusetts is $649 a year. One thing that helps to keep rates affordable in this state is that most people put their bikes away for the winter since the weather makes riding too hazardous.
Motorcycle insurance rates are calculated individually, so the average cost of a policy can only give you a general idea of what you might be expected to pay. Here are some factors that can influence how much your policy will cost:
- Your bike’s make, model, and year and value
- Your age, occupation, and years of riding experience
- Your traffic citation history, both while riding and while driving
- The estimated number of miles you put on your bike each year
- The size of your deductible
Contacting a few competing insurance providers to request customized quotes lets you choose the policy that is offered at the lowest price. Independent agents make comparison shopping easy.
Is Motorcycle Insurance Required in Massachusetts?
Massachusetts state law requires all motorcycle owners to carry liability insurance. Motorcycle liability insurance is designed to cover any property damage or injuries you may cause to others if you are responsible for a collision while riding.
Your policy must meet or exceed the following coverage amounts:
- Bodily injury liability coverage
- $20,000 per person
- $40,000 per accident
- Property damage liability coverage
- $5,000 per accident
All other motorcycle coverage is optional.
Better Motorcycle Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Else Can Motorcycle Insurance Cover?
In addition to the liability coverage that you are required to have, most insurance companies will offer a selection of coverage options. These can include:
- Full coverage: This can pay for loss or damage to your bike. It is often required by your lender if you are still paying for your bike. Full coverage includes:
- Personal injury protection (PIP) insurance: This covers medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses related to injuries incurred in a motorcycle accident, regardless of fault. Although PIP is required for car insurance policies in this state, it is not required for motorcycles.
- Custom parts insurance: This can increase the assessed value of your bike if you have installed any customized accessories or equipment on it. That way, if your motorcycle is totaled in a covered event, you will be compensated for the true value of your bike.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: This covers your property damage and injuries if you are hit by an uninsured driver while on your bike. This saves you from the need for you to go through lengthy legal channels to collect the compensation you deserve.
- Towing and roadside assistance insurance: This covers the cost of assistance If your motorcycle becomes disabled.
Be sure to review the details and costs of each of your various options so you can make an informed decision about which are a good value for you.
Are There Any Discounts Available for Motorcyclists in Massachusetts?
Many motorcycle insurance companies in Massachusetts offer discounts and incentives to policyholders who qualify. You may be able to score lower prices on your coverage by:
- Completing a state-approved motorcycle safety course
- Paying your full annual premium in one payment
- Having a membership in a qualifying organization or riding association
- Bundling your motorcycle insurance with other policies like car insurance or homeowners insurance
A good insurance agent will ensure that your policy includes all the available discounts for which you qualify.
How Can an Independent Insurance Agent in Massachusetts Help?
When you are looking for any type of insurance coverage, you can benefit from consulting a local independent agent. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance provider, so they can shop around to find the right policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs.
It doesn’t cost anything to talk to an independent agent. Contact an insurance agent near you to start comparing customized quotes from some of the best motorcycle insurance companies in Massachusetts.
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.