Find the Best Homeowners Insurance Rates & Companies in Massachusetts
Homeowners insurance in Massachusetts costs, on average, about $1,488 per year. With the national average cost of home insurance being $1,211 annually, residents in Massachusetts pay quite a bit more for their coverage. In fact, Massachusetts' home insurance rates rank the 9th most expensive in the nation.
Home prices in Massachusetts currently average about $591,277. With such a hefty investment in your property already, it's critical to protect it as best you can with the right coverage. That means having a solid homeowners insurance policy that considers all your needs.
An independent insurance agent can help you get equipped with the right home insurance policy for you and your family. But first, let's take a more in-depth look at home insurance in Massachusetts.
Best Homeowners Insurance Companies in Massachusetts
Though you can find a home insurance policy from many different insurance companies in Massachusetts, we've compiled a list of our top recommendations for you. Start with these carriers when searching for the best homeowners insurance company in Massachusetts.
- Progressive: Progressive offers home insurance as well as a myriad of other products. The carrier also has a high financial strength rating, 24/7/365 customer service, and tons of discount options.
- Travelers: Travelers offers a variety of coverage options for individuals, including homeowners insurance. The carrier also has a long history of excellent financial strength and customer feedback. Additionally, Travelers offers several discounts and 24/7 claims reporting.
- PURE: PURE offers home insurance as well as many other personal coverages. The carrier has excellent financial strength and offers 24/7 claims reporting.
- Stillwater: Stillwater provides home insurance and coverage for just every type of personal property. The carrier also has excellent ratings for financial strength and overall by the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and offers 24/7 claims reporting.
- Encova: Encova offers home insurance and other personal and business coverages. The carrier offers a ton of discount options and has high ratings by AM Best and the BBB. Encova also provides 24/7 claims reporting.
An independent insurance agent can help you find the homeowners insurance coverage you're looking for from one of these trusted carriers.
What Homeowners Insurance in Massachusetts Can Cover?
You need a home insurance policy that covers all parts of your home, not just the building itself. Fortunately, a standard homeowners insurance policy in Massachusetts comes with these core protections:
- Loss of use: Covers additional costs if you have to stay at a hotel or elsewhere while your home undergoes repairs following a major covered disaster like a fire.
- Personal liability: Covers attorney, court, and other legal costs if you get sued by a third party for claims of bodily injury or personal property damage.
- Personal property: Covers personal belongings like your furniture from many disasters like theft, fire, etc.
- Dwelling: Covers the home's structure from many disasters like lightning strikes, vandalism, etc.
Some of the most common natural disasters in Massachusetts are:
- Blizzards: Home insurance in Massachusetts does cover damage from blizzards, including incidents of roof collapse under the weight of snow and ice.
- Coastal storms: Home insurance in Massachusetts covers wind damage from coastal storms, but it won't cover water damage caused by natural sources, such as heavy rainfall.
- Flooding: Home insurance in Massachusetts does not cover flood damage due to natural sources like hurricanes, tsunamis, etc.
Talk with your independent insurance agent about your concerns with your home insurance coverage and Massachusett's most common natural disasters. They can help you supplement your coverage with additional policies where necessary.
What Homeowners Insurance in Massachusetts Will Not Cover?
All home insurance policies come with a set of coverage exclusions. In Massachusetts, the following disasters and other costs are not covered by homeowners insurance:
- Damage from sewer backups
- Routine maintenance of the home
- Intentional or malicious acts against others
- Business losses
- Wear and tear damage to the home
- Natural flood damage
Flood damage in Massachusetts
Since Massachusetts is prone to flooding disasters, it's beneficial to consider adding a flood insurance policy to your coverage, especially since home insurance excludes this type of disaster. A flood insurance policy can help reimburse you for property damage caused by natural flooding events, like coastal storms.
You might also want to talk to your agent about adding sewer backup coverage to your home insurance policy. This optional add-on can help reimburse you for losses related to sewer line breaks and backups that flood the home. Besides being messy to clean up on your own, these disasters can also be extremely costly if you lack the proper coverage.
Average Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Massachusetts
Massachusetts homeowners insurance rates are, on average, quite a bit higher than the overall US average of $1,211 per year. In Massachusetts, the average annual cost of a home insurance policy is $1,488. Rates for home insurance in Massachusetts rank the 9th most expensive in the country. Higher home insurance rates in the state are due to higher property values and overall cost of living, higher crime rates, and higher risk of storm damage, among other factors.
Average Massachusetts Home Insurance Costs by City
Cities with higher property values, crime rates, and frequency of natural disasters, often have higher home insurance rates than others within the same state. In Massachusetts, residents in the city of Brookline currently pay the highest home insurance rates of the entire state on average, at $1,721 per year. The Massachusetts city with the best and cheapest homeowners insurance rates is Westfield, with average costs of just $489 per year.