As a popular vacation area, Gloucester, MA sees its fair share of traffic. Whether you are cruising down Western Avenue on your way to the beach; merging onto Yankee Division Highway while headed to Boston, or just driving down Centennial Avenue on your way to cheer on the Fishermen at Gloucester High School, you are at risk for a motor vehicle collision any time you get behind the wheel of your car. Fortunately, when you carry a suitable Gloucester auto insurance policy, you do not need to worry about an accident breaking the bank.
When you compare policies and rates from a few reputable insurance companies before making a selection, you can save a lot of money on your premiums. Finding the best price is easy when you have the help of an independent insurance agent. These local agents can work with many insurance providers to help you gather, review and compare a selection of customized Gloucester car insurance quotes. Find an agent near you to get started.
- National average cost per year: $1,311
- Massachusetts average cost per year: $1,460
- 16th most expensive auto premium in the U.S.
Car insurance rates in Massachusetts are rather high when compared with rates in many other states, but that does not mean you cannot find an affordable policy. Rates can vary significantly from one person to the next and even from one insurer to the next, so comparison shopping is a great way to find the best price for your coverage. When you contact an insurance company to request a quote, they will calculate your rates according to a number of factors, such as the following:
- Information (such as the make, model, year and safety features) about your vehicle(s) as indicated by the vehicle identification number, or VIN
- Information (such as age, sex, marital status and driving record) about the licensed drivers in your household, unless you are specifically excluding them from your coverage
- The approximate number of miles you drive your vehicle each year
- The amount of coverage you wish to buy
- The amount of your deductible
When you compare a few Gloucester auto insurance quotes, you can easily select the policy that provides the best value for your hard-earned money.
Massachusetts Car Insurance Requirements
- Bodily injury liability: required
- Property damage liability: required
- Personal injury protection (PIP): required
- Uninsured motorist coverage: required
- Minimum liability limits: 20/40/5: Coverage up to $40,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $20,000 for one individual, and $5,000 coverage for property damage
It is illegal to drive an uninsured vehicle. Residents of Massachusetts who are caught driving without insurance can face some very stiff penalties. These may include the following:
- A fine no less than $500 and no more than $5,000
- The suspension of your vehicle registration and driver’s license for up to 12 months
- The need to pay a $500 reinstatement fee in order to reactivate your vehicle registration and driver’s license
- In some cases, incarceration for up to 12 months
If you think that you are saving money by skipping out on auto insurance, think again. Save yourself a lot of trouble by purchasing an affordable Gloucester car insurance policy with the help of an agent.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Massachusetts
- Number of uninsured U.S. drivers: 12.6%
- Number of uninsured Massachusetts drivers: 3.9%
The state of Massachusetts requires vehicle owners to include uninsured motorist coverage in their auto insurance policies. This insurance ensures that you have the coverage you need if you are involved in a collision with an uninsured driver. Because this is a “no-fault” state, your insurance policy covers your damage, regardless of fault. You are therefore required to carry personal injury protection (PIP) insurance as well, with a minimum of $8,000 in coverage for medical treatment if you are injured in an accident.
Number of Auto Thefts in Massachusetts
- National number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Massachusetts number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 1.91
The auto theft rate in Massachusetts is lower than the national average; and in the city of Gloucester, it is lower still. In recent years, there were only five auto thefts reported in this city. That equates to about 0.17 thefts per 1,000 cars — well below the state’s average rate. This is something that insurance companies take into consideration when calculating your car insurance rates.
Bear in mind that your Gloucester auto insurance can only compensate you for a stolen or vandalized vehicle if your policy includes comprehensive, or “other than collision,” coverage. This insurance covers all noncollision-related damage, such as that caused by falling objects, floods, flying debris and fires, so long as the damage is not the result of a vehicular accident.
Find the Best Gloucester Car Insurance Policy
Nobody wants to pay an unreasonable price for car insurance. But if you bought your coverage without first taking the time to request rates from a few competing insurance companies, chances are good that you are needlessly paying more than you have to. That is why savvy car owners in Gloucester turn to our agents for assistance when they are shopping for affordable policies.
Our agents make comparison shopping easy by doing the rate-inquiry legwork for you. They can quickly provide you with a selection of customized auto insurance quotes from a variety of reputable insurance companies. You can then review and compare these policies and rates together so that you can make an informed decision when selecting the best policy.
Find a local agent with an office near you to learn more about your Gloucester car insurance options.