For many, hitting the open road on a motorcycle is a passion that flows through their veins. From the wind in your face to the low, growling rumble of the bike -- motorcycle rides can be incredible. For residents of Montana, the layout of the state provides some fabulous riding areas. Going-to-the-Sun Road is known as the Mt. Everest of the motorcycling world, with steep climbs and beautiful views.
Whether you're a weekend warrior or a passionate daily rider, it's important to be prepared for riding your motorcycle. From wearing protective gear to doing a bike check before hitting the road, being prepared is crucial.
With the high number of motorcyclists in MT, having insurance on your motorcycle is one very important way to protect your motorcycle and yourself in case of an accident or emergency.
Motorcycle Statistics in Montana
- In the past two years, motorcycle accidents have risen in Montana by 61.9%.
- There were 34 fatal motorcycle accidents in Montana in 2013, up from 30 in 2012 and 21 in 2011.
- There were 442 motorcycle crashes during 2013.
- Motorcycle accidents accounted for 14.8% of all road accident fatalities.
It's no surprise that motorcycles carry more risks than regular motor vehicles. Beyond the fact that cars are more enclosed, larger and heavier, motorcycles can reach higher speeds and are more maneuverable.
If you own a motorcycle, you have most likely invested time and money in your passion, which is why having insurance in place to protect you and your bike is very important.
What Is Motorcycle Insurance?
Motorcycle insurance is a group of coverages put together to specifically cover motorcycle owners. A typical motorcycle insurance policy may offer the following:
- Bodily injury and property damage liability: If you are involved in an accident where you injure others or damage property belonging to someone else, this insurance is designed to cover those costs.
- Collision coverage: This covers you if you are in an accident with anything other than an animal.
- Comprehensive: Also called "anything other than collision," this covers you if you are involved in a weather-related incident, arson, theft or vandalism. If you have financed the motorcycle, this insurance coverage may be required.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorists: Unfortunately, not all motorcycle riders carry insurance. If you are in an accident with someone who is uninsured or underinsured, this coverage can help you pay for the repairs and bills that the at-fault party cannot cover.
Other types of coverage are available, so it's a wise idea to discuss your individual situation and needs with an insurance agent.
What Types of Motorcycles Can Be Insured in MT?
Insurance companies know that there are many types of motorcycles on the road, so most types of motorcycles can be insured. Here are the most common types that can be covered by a motorcycle insurance policy:
- Sport bikes
- Harley Davidsons
- Racing bikes
There are many other types of motorcyles cruising the roads, so the list is not exhaustive. If you own a motorcycle outside these types, contact an agent to discuss which coverage is best for you.
Is Motorcycle Insurance Required in Montana?
The state of Montana does not require motorcycle owners to carry insurance. However, if motorcycle owners choose not to get a liability insurance policy, they must prove financial responsibility in one of the following ways:
- Cash deposit: Making a $55,000 cash deposit with the Montana State Treasurer
- Surety bond: Obtaining a surety bond from a licensed broker in Montana
- Self-insurance: This is an option for those who own 25 or more vehicles
For many, these are not feasible options, so instead, they opt to carry liability insurance. The minimum liability requirements for passenger vehicles in Montana are:
- $10,000 for property damage
- $25,000 per person for bodily injury
- $50,000 per person per accident
It's important to note that these limits are low. If you are involved in an accident, your policy caps may be reached within minutes, which is why it's important to discuss your coverage needs before purchasing a policy.
What Will Influence My Motorcycle Insurance Quote?
The cost of a motorcycle insurance policy will vary depending on your individual situation. When you're searching online or in person for a policy, make sure to be familiar with the following:
- Type of motorcycle
- Size of motorcycle
- Horsepower of engine/top speed
- Value of motorcycle
- Whether passengers will ride on motorcycle
- Your driving record
- History of claims
- Whether motorcycle will be trailered
- Coverages desired
- Deductible preferred
Each of these factors, plus many more, will be used to give you an accurate quote for coverage on your motorcycle.
Are Discounts Available on Motorcycle Insurance in Montana?
Just like many other insurance policies, discounts are available on motorcycle insurance. When you're shopping around, ask about available discounts, including the following:
- New customer discount
- Loyal customer discount
- Good driver discount
- Multi-policy dicount
- Lay-up policy discount (If you only use your motorcycle during spring/summer, for example)
- Professional affiliation discount
- Paid-in-full discount
These are just a few of the discounts available to motorcycle owners in Montana. Each insurance company offers different discounts, so be sure to ask about any discounts you may be eligible for.
How to Get Covered by Motorcycle Insurance
When deciding to purchase motorcycle insurance, it's important to discuss your options before signing on the dotted line, to make sure you're getting the best coverage at the right price. A Trusted Choice® agent is always available to help you discuss coverages, suggest policy changes, or even help you file a claim.