From Beartooth Pass to the St. Joe River Byway, Big Sky Country is filled with great roads for motorcyclists to enjoy. This explains why there are nearly 300,000 motorcycles registered in Montana. If you own one of these bikes, you can protect your finances with motorcycle insurance.
Independent agents in Montana can obtain customized quotes from a variety of competing insurance providers. This makes it easy for you to choose the policy that offers the best coverage at the most affordable price. Find an independent insurance agent near you to learn more.
Is Motorcycle Insurance Required in Montana?
No. In Montana, motorcycles are exempt from motor vehicle insurance requirements. This means that you do not have to carry a policy to register or ride your bike.
Just because this coverage is optional, however, does not mean that it is not extremely beneficial. If you cause an accident when riding your motorcycle, you can find yourself responsible for covering other people’s medical bills and property damage, and this can add up quickly.
How Much Does Motorcycle Insurance Cost in Montana?
The average cost of motorcycle insurance in Montana is $532 a year. Some of the factors that can influence how much a policy will cost you include:
- Your motorcycle’s make, model, year, value, and condition
- Your age and riding experience
- Whether you own or rent your home
- Your history of traffic citations, while riding and while driving
- The estimated number of miles you ride your bike per year
- The amount of your deductible
You may also be able to get reduced rates if you have passed a certified motorcycle safety course or if you qualify for any other offered motorcycle insurance discounts.
Why Compare Motorcycle Insurance Quotes in Montana?
If you choose to carry motorcycle insurance, you will want to be sure that you are not overpaying for it.
Every insurance company has a different method for assessing risk and assigning rates, so you are likely to be quoted a different price by each company you contact. Getting rates from a few competing providers lets you choose the policy that is offered at the most competitive price.
Independent agents make comparison shopping easy by obtaining customized quotes from multiple carriers on your behalf.
Better Motorcycle Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Does Montana Motorcycle Insurance Cover?
Your motorcycle insurance policy can cover as much or as little as you want it to. If you purchase a policy, it must include liability coverage, but all other coverage is optional. You can expect motorcycle insurance providers in Montana to offer the following types of coverage:
- Motorcycle liability insurance: This covers property damage or injuries you may cause to other people if you are responsible for a collision while riding. If you choose to carry a motorcycle insurance policy, it must include liability coverage with at least:
- Bodily injury liability coverage per person: $25,000
- Bodily injury liability coverage per accident: $50,000
- Property damage liability coverage per accident: $10,000
- Collision insurance: This covers repair or replacement costs if your motorcycle is damaged in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers repair or replacement costs if your motorcycle is damaged in a non-collision event like a wildfire or windstorm.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: This can cover the cost of medical treatment if you or your passenger are injured in an accident caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver.
- Medical payments insurance: This covers emergency treatment and related medical bills if you or your passenger are injured in a motorcycle accident, regardless of fault.
- Custom parts and equipment insurance: This can increase your motorcycle’s assessed value if you have customized it with accessories or equipment. That way, if your bike is totaled in a covered event, you can be compensated for its true value.
- Gap insurance: This is only a good idea if you have financed an expensive motorcycle and currently owe more for it than its depreciated value. This coverage can pay off your motorcycle loan if your bike is totaled in a covered event.
By reviewing the details and costs of each type of coverage, you can make an informed decision about which are a good fit for you.
What Are the Best Motorcycle Insurance Companies in Montana?
The best motorcycle insurance companies in Montana are those that have a solid reputation for consistent reliability, service, and affordability.
Independent agents in Montana have built relationships with many of the most highly rated motorcycle insurance providers in the state. This lets you rest assured that any policies and quotes these agents collect for your review are coming from insurance companies you can trust.
How Can an Independent Agent in Montana Help Me Find the Best Motorcycle Insurance?
If you are looking for a good motorcycle insurance policy at a great price, you can benefit from having the guidance of a local independent agent. These agents can explain your various coverage options and can save you time and money by requesting policies and quotes from multiple insurers on your behalf.
Arrange an obligation-free consultation with an independent insurance agent near you to get started.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.