The most recent information available as of 2017 shows tht Montana average premium costs are $2,013, which is significantly higher than the national average. Keep in mind that you’ll need to ask for quotes from reputable insurers to get a more accurate idea of what you’ll be spending. Insurance companies will evaluate you based on the kind of car you drive, how often and how far you drive, and where you live.
A local, independent member of the Trusted Choice® network can help you compare Montana auto insurance quotes, choose the best coverage options, and provide you with excellent customer service. Give an agent a call today to get started.
Montana Car Insurance Costs
- National average cost per year: $1,474
- Montana average cost per year: $2,013
- 6th most expensive premiums in the US
The most recent information available as of 2017 shows that Montana average premium costs are $2,013, which is significantly higher than the national average. Keep in mind that you’ll need to ask for quotes from reputable insurers to get a more accurate idea of what you’ll be spending. Insurance companies will evaluate you based on the kind of car you drive, how often and how far you drive, and where you live.
Montana Car Insurance Requirements
- Bodily injury liability: required
- Property damage liability: required
- Personal Injury Protection (PIP): not required
- Uninsured motorist: not required
- Minimum liability limits: 25/50/20
- Coverage up to $50,000 for all persons injured in an accident, subject to a limit of $25,000 for one individual, and $20,000 coverage for property damage.
Each vehicle owner needs to purchase a state-mandated Montana car insurance policy in order to be a legal driver. Montana state law imposes gradually increasing penalties on any drivers caught without required coverage. A first offense may result in a fine and/or a short jail sentence. After the first offense, offenders are required to show proof of insurance or their license and registration will be suspended. Continued offenses within a 5-year period result in stiffer fines and possible jail sentences.
Montana Uninsured Motorists Data
- National uninsured motorists: 12.6%
- Montana uninsured motorists: 14.1%
- Montana average vehicle repair cost: $2,695
The percentage of Montanans without required coverage is higher than the national average. Uninsured motorist coverage is not required by the state, but it can provide extra security. Knowing damages will be covered if an at-fault driver does not have liability insurance or the money to compensate you can give you peace of mind on the road.
Thefts in Montana
- National car theft rate (per 1,000 registered vehicles): 2.94
- Montana car theft rate (per 1,000 registered vehicles): 1.27
The rate of stolen vehicles in Montana is lower than national average. Vehicle theft can happen anywhere, so it is still a good idea to protect your car by taking some common-sense safety measures. These include stowing valuables out of sight, locking your car, paying attention to where your vehicle is parked, and purchasing a good auto policy with comprehensive coverage.
How to Compare Montana Auto Insurance Quotes
Would you like to see if you can find a cheaper Montana auto policy or just make sure you still have the best coverage for your particular situation? An independent agent in the Trusted Choice network agent will be happy to help you compare multiple insurers, select the best coverage amounts, and decide which policy options will benefit you.