What's more fun than shooting across Lake Lure or Lake James on your Jet Ski or blasting over the waves at the Outer Banks on your WaveRunner? Not much, but using a PWC, or personal watercraft, also has its risks and dangers. Make sure that you're fully protected from all the potential mishaps with North Carolina PWC insurance before you launch out on your next water adventure. An independent insurance agent can help you compare dozens of insurance policies and give you the right North Carolina PWC insurance quotes for your needs and risks. Contact an agent now for great coverage at an affordable price.
NC PWC Laws
If you're between the ages of 14 to 26, you must meet the following requirements to operate or ride a PWC in NC:
- Successfully complete a boater education course
- Passengers are allowed to ride with a person at least 18 who has complied with Boater Education Law
- You cannot knowingly let someone under 16 operate your PWC unless that person has completed a boater safety course
- You cannot let someone under 16 who you are responsible for operate a PWC unless he or she has completed a boater safety course
What Does North Carolina PWC Insurance Cover?
PWCs face special risks and many insurance companies require you to cover your PWC with a specialized policy. Don't assume it is protected by your homeowners or boaters policy. The following are some available coverages you may want to consider. Basic coverage types include:
- Liability: Liability coverage protects you from claims and court costs that result from third-party property damage and bodily injury that you cause.
- Property damage: This covers your PWC if it is damaged by a collision with another watercraft or object. It can also protect your PWC in storage and in transit. In addition to collision damage, you can also cover "other than collision" incidents like theft, fire and vandalism.
- Medical payments coverage: This helps cover medical expenses if anyone is injured while riding your PWC.
- Uninsured and underinsured boater: This covers your expenses if you are involved in an accident caused by a boater without adequate insurance to cover your bodily injuries and property damage.
Other specialty coverages include:
- Pollution coverage: If your PWC leaks gas or oil, you may have to pay clean up costs. Pollution coverage pays these costs.
- Towing and assistance: This covers the cost of towing your PWC to shore if it breaks down.
- Wreckage removal: If your PWC sinks due to an accident, you may have to pay to recover the sunken watercraft, tow it and destroy it.
- Watersport liability: This covers additional liabilities that result from faster PWCs that can pull skiers and wakeboarders. It protects you from lawsuits and pays claims if someone other than yourself is injured or if third party property is damaged.
- Accessory coverage: You may need this coverage if you have added accessories that go with your PWC, such as wakeboards, transport trailers, inner tubes or skis.
Is Anything Excluded from Coverage?
If you operate your PWC without the proper licensing, are riding after dusk or before dawn, or if you have enhanced the speed and performance of your personal watercraft, you probably will not be covered in the event of a mishap. Some insurers have other exclusions as well, so make sure you carefully review your policy and notify your agent of any special situations.
Are All Types of PWCs Insurable?
No matter what kind of personal watercraft you own, you can find North Carolina PWC insurance coverage for it. Some of the most popular stand-up PWCs can be used while sitting or kneeling. Sea-Doos and WaveRunners, the most well-known sit-downs, come in two- and four-person models and can tow wakeboards and skis. Each of these PWCs exposes you to specific risks, and the more riders you have the more your risk of liability increases. Let an agent review your current policy or help you determine a new policy that protects you fully.
North Carolina PWC Insurance for Rentals
Keep in mind that North Carolina requires $300,0000 of insurance on PWCs rented to the public. An independent agent from our network can also help you customize a policy that covers your fleet of personal watercrafts, as well as your business risks.
Get North Carolina PWC Insurance Quotes Now
Now that you are aware of all the risks you face when owning and operating a PWC, it is time to find the right North Carolina PWC insurance. An independent agent can help you compare dozens of PWC insurance options and quotes.
Contact an agent now to get started.