North Carolina has some beautiful boating destinations, from big game fishing off the coast of Morehead to the mountain lakes and rivers of the Great Smokies. No matter where you boat, sail, or canoe, you can protect your investment with North Carolina boat insurance. Boat insurance gives you peace of mind that you will be covered for an accident, both on the water and at home. An independent insurance agent in our network can help you find the right boat coverage for you. Contact a local member agent today to get personalized North Carolina boat insurance quotes for your watercraft.
The Top Recent Causes of NC Boating Accidents
- North Carolina boaters reported 154 boating accidents, involving 208 vessels.
- Of these accidents, 23 resulted in fatalities.
- The top reported causes of boat accidents in North Carolina include the following:
- Alcohol use
- Hazardous waters
- Operator inattention
- Operator inexperience
- Mechanical failure
An accident that involves another boater, swimmer, or water skier can result in bodily injury, as well as property damage. If someone files a claim against you, you can be required to pay expensive settlement costs as well as the cost of your legal defense. A North Carolina boat insurance policy protects you from the financial damage of a lawsuit, and provides funds to repair or replace your boat, up to the limits of your policy.
Liability and Hull Coverage for North Carolina Boaters
Hull coverage provides for damage to your boat, motor, trailer and on-board equipment. You can choose the level of coverage you need based on the value of your boat and your financial ability to replace damaged or lost items. Liability coverage protects you from the expense of a lawsuit, up to the limit you set on your policy. If you are at fault in a boating accident, you are financially responsible for bodily injury to others, as well as property damage.
If you own a large watercraft, such as a yacht or houseboat, you need more liability coverage than you would require for a small fishing boat or canoe because the potential for injury and lawsuit are much higher. An independent agent can discuss your boat use with you and can help you find out how much liability insurance you need. Your North Carolina boat insurance policy can include the following types of liability coverage:
- Bodily injury: Covers medical expenses, settlement costs, and your legal defense if you are sued over a boating accident that results in injury to others.
- Property damage: Pays for repairs and court-ordered damages, plus your legal defense, if you accidentally damage another boat, personal watercraft, or other property.
- Pollution liability: If your boat leaks fuel or oil onto the water, you are financially responsible for the clean-up. This coverage pays the expense of clean-up, up to the limits of your policy.
- Wreckage removal: This coverage pays a portion of the expense of recovery, if your boat sinks or is severely damaged on the water.
A local agent can show you personalized liability coverage options, tailored to the way you use your boat. With the right North Carolina boat insurance, you can fish and sail with peace of mind that your finances are protected.
North Carolina Boat Insurance for Fishers
If you use your fishing boat for commercial fishing purposes, you are required to carry maritime insurance. Maritime insurance includes liability and property coverage so that you and any employees on your fishing boat are protected from the financial risks of litigation and accidents. If you own a bass boat or off-shore fishing boat for recreational purposes, a North Carolina boat policy can protect your investment from unexpected disasters, such as fire, storm, theft, or collision. Fishing boat insurance can also include the following add-ons:
- Gear and tackle insurance, for your equipment investment
- Tournament insurance, for liability during the tournament, and refunds for unused entry fees
- Charter boat insurance, required for your charter business, or guided fishing tour business
The amount of coverage you need depends on the value of your boat, where and how you use it, and the equipment you keep on your boat, including fishing gear and navigational tools.
How Much Does NC Boat Insurance Cost?
Boat insurance can cover any type of vessel, from a canoe to a giant yacht. So the cost of coverage varies widely based on your unique circumstances. When you speak with an independent agent, you may need to provide the following information to get an accurate set of quotes:
- Size, age, and type of boat
- Primary use of your boat
- Locations where you go boating
- How your boat is stored, whether in a garage or marina
- Operator history and training
You may receive discounts for your boat policy if you combine it with other coverage you need, such as business insurance, trailer insurance, and auto insurance. An independent agent can give you personalized recommendations about coverage and discounts that may be best for you.
Get North Carolina Boat Insurance for Your Vessel
You can enjoy the waterways and coastlines of North Carolina with peace of mind when you know your property and liability are covered with the right boat insurance policy. An independent agent in our network is not bound to one insurance provider, and can show you boat coverage options from a variety of companies.
Contact a local member agent today to discuss your watercraft, and to get customized North Carolina boat insurance quotes that fit your risks and budget.