Whether you are headed for a relaxing weekend in the Outer Banks, or for some dirt biking in the Appalachians, or to enjoy some good food and music at an Asheville hotspot, a motorcycle is a great way to get there. With North Carolina motorcycle insurance you can travel light, knowing you are protected from the liabilities and risks you'll face on the road.
Motorcycle insurance covers choppers, sports bikes, dirt bikes and any other kind of motorcycle. Get a North Carolina motorcycle insurance quote today by contacting an independent Trusted Choice® member agent. Your local agent can help you compare several motorcycle insurance quotes and find you the policy that fully protects your ride at a great price.
North Carolina Motorcycle Facts 2009
- 392 motorcyclists seriously injured
- 152 motorcyclists killed
- 200,718 motorcycles registered
Is Motorcycle Insurance Required in North Carolina?
Riding a motorcycle comes with risks. If you own a motorcycle in North Carolina, state law requires you carry certain minimum limits of motorcycle liability insurance. Liability insurance covers bodily injury or property damage you cause to someone else. Minimum requirements include:
- $30,000 for bodily injury or death to one person in a single accident
- $60,000 for bodily injury to multiple persons in a single accident
- $25,000 for property damage in a single accident
Even though these are state mandated minimum coverages, insurance experts recommend that you carry higher liability limits. A Trusted Choice member agent can help you determine what limits make sense for your risks and budget.
What Does Motorcylce Insurance Cover?
Similar to car insurance, motorcycle insurance can protect you from damage caused by collisions, damage caused by events "other than collisions," and injury or damage you cause to other people or property. You can also carry uninsured and underinsured insurance.
- Collision: Covers damage to your motorcycle caused by someone else in a collision.
- Comprehensive: Also, called "other than collision," this covers your bike from any damage that is not related to a collision, such as fire, theft or vandalism. For example, a tree limb falls on your bike or someone spray paints your bike while it is parked.
- Liability: Covers damage or injury to others that is your fault, and provides some financial protection in the event of a lawsuit.
- Uninsured or underinsured: Covers damages to you or your motorcycle if you are in an accident with someone that does not have the required coverage or whose insurance limits are too low to cover all the damages.
How Much Does NC Motorcycle Insurance Cost?
As with any insurance policy, the cost of your premium varies based on your age, your motorcycling experience, the value of your bike, the type of bike, how you store your motorcycle, the extent of your coverage and your coverage limits.
For example, a dirt bike you use on the weekends on mountain trails may be more risky than a cruiser you take to work each day. Or a sport bike you ride on major highways in Charlotte may be considered more risky than a chopper you drive in a rural community. But you also have to factor in how many miles you drive each week and the actual value of the bike.
With all variables considered, your specific motorcycle insurance policy may cost anywhere from $150 per year to over $2,000 per year.
There's a lot to consider, but a knowledgeable independent agent can help you find the best policy for your specific bike and situation. Your agent can search hundreds of available options and quotes to find the policy that is right for you and your motorcycle.
Compare North Carolina Motorcylce Insurance Quotes
Are you ready to hit the road with confidence knowing you are fully covered? An independent Trusted Choice member agent can help you compare North Carolina motorcycle insurance quotes and find the right policy for your needs and budget.
Contact a local member agent to get your questions answered and find the right North Carolina motorcycle insurance coverage for you.