In 2013, a 42-year old accountant in Alabama sued his chiropractor when he suffered a stroke immediately after having a neck adjustment. The five-day trial resulted in a judgment for the plaintiff in the amount of $577,000. While malpractice claims against chiropractors are infrequent, they can be devastating for those that aren’t covered by chiropractor liability insurance.
If you are a chiropractor in Alabama, a local independent insurance agent can help you find suitable coverage at a competitive price. Talk to an insurance agent near you to get more information about chiropractor malpractice insurance.
What Is Chiropractor Malpractice Insurance?
Chiropractor liability insurance (also known as chiropractor malpractice insurance) is a specialized policy specifically designed to protect licensed chiropractic practices.
This insurance can cover your liability expenses, including court costs, legal defense fees, damages, settlements, and other financial obligations, if a patient or their family sues you due to injury or death resulting from treatment at your facility.
Are Chiropractors in Alabama Required to Carry Malpractice Insurance?
Although this coverage is not required everywhere in the United States, chiropractors in Alabama are required to carry malpractice insurance. They must also purchase coverage for any externs who are working in their office.
This coverage is mandated and enforced by the Alabama State Board of Chiropractic Examiners.
How Much Do Chiropractors Pay for Malpractice Insurance in Alabama?
The risk of severe injuries or death resulting from chiropractic treatment is low, so the cost of chiropractor’s liability insurance is lower than most medical malpractice coverage.
On average, chiropractors pay about $30 a month for their malpractice insurance.
Shopping around for the best coverage at the lowest rate can save you money in the long run. Independent insurance agents make comparison shopping easy.
Save on Malpractice Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Does Alabama Chiropractor Liability Insurance Cover?
Chiropractors malpractice insurance is designed to cover your costs if you are sued following an injury or death caused by chiropractic treatment. The top reasons for chiropractor malpractice claims are:
- Claims of physical injuries due to negligence: This can result from claims that a chiropractor’s treatments aggravated a previous injury or caused a new one, such as if a patient’s back problems worsen, leading to the need for surgery, or if a patient suffers from frostbite after a cold pack is inappropriately applied.
- Claims of induced stroke: While a controversial subject, some people believe that chiropractic adjustments to the neck can lead to the patient suffering a stroke. If a patient happens to have a stroke shortly after visiting your practice, you may end up on the wrong side of a costly lawsuit.
- Claims of failure to properly diagnose a medical condition: If a patient suffers serious medical problems following an improper diagnosis or failure to recognize an existing problem, they may sue you for negligence.
If your chiropractic facility is sued for malpractice, you can expect your liability insurance to cover:
- Court costs
- Legal defense fees
- Settlement costs
- Arbitration costs
- Punitive or compensatory damages
Talk to a local independent insurance agent to learn more.
What Doesn't Alabama Chiropractor Liability Insurance Cover?
There are some exclusions to what can be covered by your chiropractor malpractice insurance. Claims may be denied for cases involving:
- Illegal/criminal acts
- Sexual misconduct
- Altered medical records to cover up evidence of negligence
The easiest way to avoid a claim denial is to run your practice above board. As long as your business acts within the confines of the law, your claims are likely to be honored.
How to Get the Best Malpractice Insurance for Chiropractors in Alabama
When you are looking for the best and most affordable chiropractor malpractice insurance policy, a local independent insurance agent can help. These agents are free to work with several different insurance companies to help you find the coverage you need at a competitive price.
Set up a one-on-one consultation with an independent insurance agent near you to discuss chiropractor liability coverage as well as any other insurance products you may be interested in learning more about.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.