With its many lakes, rivers, and bayous, and its 60 miles of coastline along the Gulf, Alabama is a great place to own a boat. Unfortunately, when a lot of boats are out on the water, accidents happen. In fact, according to the US Coast Guard, there are around 100 boating accidents a year in this state.
If you are among the Alabama residents fortunate enough to own a boat, you can protect yourself from liability lawsuits and property loss by purchasing boat insurance. Contact an insurance agent near you for help finding an affordable policy that can offer you peace of mind whether your boat is on or off the water.
Alabama Boating Statistics
- There are 1,438 miles of navigable rivers and 89 lakes in Alabama.
- An average of 20 people are killed in boating accidents per year in this state.
- In a recent year, boating accidents in Alabama led to more than $1.4 million worth of property damage.
- The most common causes of boat accidents in AL are collision with another recreational vessel, collision with a fixed object, and flooding.
How Does Boat Insurance Help Residents of Alabama?
Boating is fun, and Alabama is passionate about keeping waters clean and safe.
As a boat owner, there are strict usage laws you need to adhere to, including meeting registration requirements, equipment requirements, lifejacket requirements, and rules of the water.
As with boating laws, boat insurance policies are there to protect you. If you are involved in an accident, a boat insurance policy can help pay expenses like legal fees, repair costs, and cleanup expenses. Unlike boating laws, however, boat insurance is optional.
How Much Does Boat Insurance Cost in Alabama?
The average cost of boat insurance in Alabama is $256 a year. Of course, there is no one-size-fits-all policy price when it comes to boat insurance. Your quoted prices will be based on the following factors.
- The type of boat(s) you are insuring
- Your boat's age, value, length, and engine size
- Where your boat will be stored when not in sure
- Your driving record, both on and off the water
- The types of coverage you want to include in your policy
- The size of your deductible
Different insurance companies will have different ways of calculating costs. Comparing quotes from a few different providers lets you choose the policy that offers the coverage you want at the most competitive price.
Save on Boat Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Can Boat Insurance Cover in Alabama?
Boat insurance policies typically offer liability protection as a standard part of their coverage and then provide you with a variety of coverage options that you can choose from. A solid boat insurance policy will provide you with the following.
- Liability insurance: This can cover your financial obligations to others if you cause a boat accident that results in third-party injuries or property damage. It includes:
- Bodily injury liability: This can cover other people's medical bills and injury-related lost wages if they are injured in a boating collision for which you are at fault.
- Property damage liability: This can cover other people's repair or replacement costs if you cause an accident that results in damage to boats, towables, and other equipment.
- Physical damage coverage: This can cover repair or replacement costs for your own property if your boat is damaged in an accident, regardless of fault.
- Comprehensive coverage: This is designed to cover "everything other than collision." This means that if your boat is lost or damaged in a non-collision event like a fire, hurricanes, or property crime, you will be covered.
- Equipment coverage: If you use towables, fishing gear, GPS units, or other equipment on your vessel, this coverage can cover repair or replacement cost if these items are lost or damaged.
- Uninsured/Underinsured boater coverage: If you are in an accident caused by an uninsured boater, this can ensure that you receive the compensation you are due without the need to go through lengthy legal channels.
- Medical payments coverage: This can pay for medical expenses that you and your passengers may incur as a result of an accident, regardless of fault.
- Towing coverage: If your boat becomes disabled while on the water, this coverage can help you get it back to shore.
- Fuel spill/wreckage cleanup: This provides the funds and resources necessary to clean up pollutants and remove wrecked vessels if you cause a collision. That way, you will be in compliance with local ordinances and will not have to worry about incurring additional costs due to fines.
What Types of Vessels Does Boat Insurance Cover in Alabama?
There are different types of boats and different types of boaters. That is why there are policies made specifically for insuring motorized and non-motorized boats. This means you can get coverage for almost any type of watercraft, including the following.
- Canoes and kayaks
- Sport boats
- Fishing boats
- Bass Boats
- Cabin cruisers
Each of these boats presents different risks, so coverage may vary for each type of boat. This is also not an all-inclusive list but just a general list of the most common types of boats covered by boat insurance in Alabama.
Is It Possible to Get Discounts on Boat Insurance in Alabama?
Discounts can save you a lot of money, so you want to be sure you are not overlooking any for which you may qualify when you are buying your policy. Here are some money-saving incentives you may qualify for.
- Multi-policy discounts
- New customer discounts
- Loyal customer discounts
- Boater safety course discounts
- Security system discounts
- Industry/professional affiliation discounts
Insurance companies may offer their customers different incentives, so be sure to ask about discounts you may not be aware of or discounts that you may not have qualified for previously.
A Local Independent Agent Can Help You Find the Best Boat Insurance
Having a professional by your side can help you get all the coverage you are looking for at a competitive price. There are more than 300 independent insurance agents in Alabama who are available to help you understand your coverage options, find applicable discounts, and even help you file a claim.
Contact an insurance agent near you to get more information and to start comparing a variety of customized boat insurance quotes.
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.