Alabama lies along the coast of the Eastern United States, traversed by a number of waterways. Watersports are a huge draw for the residents of Alabama, and, on most weekends, you can see boats lining the water. From sailboats to Jet Skis and yachts to canoes, Alabama's water draws people from across the nation. With so many people using the water, it's no surprise that there are a number of boating accidents in the state. Many boaters don't realize that having boat insurance is one way to protect themselves in case of an accident. Contact an insurance agent for quotes on an affordable policy that can offer you peace of mind whether your boat is on or off the water.
Alabama Boating Statistics
- There are more than 1,600 miles of river and 53 miles of coastline in AL.
- There were 71 boating accidents in 2012, with 16 fatalities.
- In 2012, property damage from boating accidents totaled more than $700,000.
- The most common cause of accidents in AL during 2012 was colliding with a fixed object.
Boating is fun, and Alabama is passionate about keeping waters clean and safe. There are strict usage laws you need to adhere to, including equipment requirements, lifejacket requirements and rules of the water. Just like the boating laws, boat insurance policies are there to protect you. If you are involved in a boating accident, a boat insurance policy can help pay any legal fees, repair fees and clean-up costs, giving you peace of mind while you're on the water.
Typical Boat Insurance Options Available in Alabama
Boat insurance, meant to protect you from some of the most common ramifications of a boating accident or disaster, may typically include the following options:
- Bodily injury liability: If you're involved in a boating accident and there are injuries involved, this coverage can help cover those costs.
- Property damage liability: This insurance will cover any damage you cause to someone else's property, such as damage to towables, boats or other equipment.
- Physical damage: This coverage will help cover your boat and your equipment from damage due to an accident.
- Comprehensive: This coverage, much like comprehensive auto insurance, covers "everything other than collision," including fire, wind, rain and vandalism.
- Equipment coverage: If you use towables, fishing gear, GPS or other equipment on your vessel, this coverage can help cover those items.
- Uninsured/Underinsured boater coverage: Unfortunately, many boaters do not carry insurance on their vessels. If you're involved in an accident with someone who doesn't carry boating insurance, you may be out of luck when it comes to getting the funds to repair your boat or pay for medical bills. This coverage can help you get those funds.
- Medical payments coverage: This coverage will pay for medical expenses that you and your passengers may incur as a result of an accident.
- Towing coverage: This coverage works like roadside assistance. If your boat becomes immobile while on the water, this coverage can help you get to shore.
- Fuel spill/wreckage cleanup: Local ordinances require that you remedy any pollutant spills and remove wrecked vessels. This insurance coverage can provide you with the funds and resources necessary to abide by the local ordinances.
What Types of Boats Does Boating Insurance Cover in Alabama?
Insurance agents realize that there are many different types of boats and many different types of boaters. You can get insurance on almost any type of boat, including the following:
- Jet Ski/PWC
- Sport boat
- Racing boat
- Fishing boat
- Bass Boat
- Jon boat
- Cabin cruiser
- Charter boat
- Swamp boat (Hovercraft)
Each of these boats presents different risks, so coverage may vary for each type of boat. This is also not an all-inclusive list but just a general list of the most common types of boats covered by boat insurance in Alabama.
Getting Boat Insurance Quotes in Alabama
There is no one-size-fits-all policy price when it comes to boat insurance. When you're shopping for boat insurance policies, be sure to get familiar with the following factors in order to get the most accurate quotes:
- Type of boat
- Length of boat
- What boat is used for
- Horsepower/engine size
- Whether passengers will ride on the boat
- Whether towables/equipment will be used with the boat
- Where boat will be stored
- How boat will be used
- Your driving record on and off the water
- Desired coverage
- Desired deductibles
Your insurer will consider all these factors in order to give you quotes that best reflect your needs and preferences when it comes to coverage.
Getting Discounts on Boat Insurance in Alabama
Just like many other insurance policies, there are discounts available on boat insurance. When getting online quotes for boat insurance, be sure to ask about the following discounts:
- Multi-policy discount
- New customer discount
- Loyal customer discount
- Lay-up discount (If you only use your boat during summer months)
- Boater safety course discount
- Security system discount
- Industry/Professional affiliation discount
Each insurance company offers its customers different discounts, so be sure to ask about discounts you may not be aware of or discounts that you may not have qualified for previously.
Getting the Right Boat Insurance Policy
Getting a boat insurance policy that will cover all of your risks is important. Having a professional by your side can help you get the best coverage possible. A Trusted Choice® agent is always available to help you find coverage options, choose discounts and even help you file a claim.
Contact a local agent near you for more information.