Fires are one of nature's most dangerous weapons. Whether it's a house fire or wildfire, a fire can destroy a home and property in seconds. The state of Alabama, with its large amount of timbered acreage, falls victim to fires quite often. As a resident of Alabama, you should do what you can to prevent fires, including having fire extinguishers available in the home, having smoke detectors in every room, keeping a clean yard and being fire aware while going about your daily routine. You should also make sure you have fire insurance protection in case of a fire. But before you start looking for quotes, read the information below for insights on what you should know before getting fire insurance. Then you can get help from an independent insurance agent with choosing the right policy for you. N
Alabama Fire Facts
- In recent years, 19 have people died from fires.
- Alabama is the third most timber-populated state in the nation.
- Timber manufacturing is the state's second-largest industry, earning more than $12.78 billion per year.
When it comes to living in a state that is so accustomed to fires, it's important to be knowledgeable about fires in order to protect yourself, your family and your assets from a blaze. Alabama State Fire Marshal Ed Paulk has said that the recent spike in fires and fire deaths "has alarmed me to the point where I'm keeping track on a daily basis."
Fire Insurance Options in Alabama
You most likely already have fire insurance. Standard insurance policies such as the following include fire insurance protection:
- Homeowners insurance: Your homeowners insurance can cover your home and its belongings from perils such as fire, wind, and rain. You can choose to insure for actual cash value, which takes depreciation into account, leaving you a smaller benefit, or replacement value, which provides funds equal to the cost of repurchasing your home along with its contents.
- Renters insurance: Many renters believe that their landlord's insurance will cover them in case of a fire. Unfortunately, this is far from true. As a renter, you are responsible for covering your belongings with renters insurance in case of a disaster such as a fire.
- Car insurance: A comprehensive car insurance policy can help cover damage from fire no matter where the car is at the time of the incident. Just like homeowners insurance, you can opt to get actual cash value or replacement value coverage.
- Business insurance: Your business insurance policy should have coverage built-in for events such as fires, windstorms or rain. This insurance can help cover your business structure, equipment, cash, and other assets.
- Boat/ATV/snowmobile insurance: Comprehensive insurance on any vehicles you own can offer fire coverage.
What Types of Incidents Can Lead to Denial of Coverage After a Fire?
Unfortunately, there are circumstances when an insurance company will deny coverage after a fire. Here is a list of circumstances that can lead to your insurer denying your claim:
- Homeowner refuses to call 911
- Home does not have smoke detectors/fire alarms/extinguishers
- Homeowner is negligent in caring for the home
How Much Does Fire Insurance Cost in Alabama?
Depending on what type of policy you're looking for, prices will vary. Additionally, you will need to know some basic facts about what you want to protect in order to get fire insurance to cover your possessions. Make sure you become familiar with the following before getting quotes:
- Location of asset
- Type of asset
- Value of asset
- Your credit score
- Your driving record
- Your history of insurance claims
- Preferred deductibles
- Preferred coverage
This is a very basic list. When you call to get fire insurance policy quotes, your agent will ask you many more questions in order to get a policy best suited for you.
Are There Discounts Available on Fire Insurance Policies in Alabama?
Many insurers offer subscribers discounts. These discounts may include the following:
- Multi-policy discount
- Good driver discount
- Claims-free discount
- Educator discount
- Good credit discount
- Industry-affiliation discount
- Paid-in-full discount
Always be sure to ask about any discounts you may not be aware of to make sure you're getting the best price available.
How To Get Fire Insurance in Alabama
When you're searching for fire insurance quotes, it's a wise idea to have a professional by your side who knows the risks you face, along with your coverage preferences. Our independent insurance agents are always available to help you find coverage, suggest discounts, or even help you file a claim.