With so many great riding trails located within a few hours of the city, it’s little wonder that so many Indianapolis residents are ATV enthusiasts. Whether you prefer traveling to Badlands Off-Road Park to the sand-dunes, mud pits and gravel hills, or you’re off to the Redbird State Recreation Area with your four-wheeler to tackle its 1200 miles of trails, this state has a lot to offer. ATV accidents happen, and it is a wise decision to protect your finances with an Indianapolis, IN ATV insurance policy.
Independent agents in the Trusted Choice® network can help you find a comprehensive ATV insurance policy at a competitive rate. Member agents can discuss your coverage options with you and help you make an informed decision. Using their relationships with several different insurance companies, Trusted Choice member agents can quickly provide you several competitively-priced Indianapolis ATV insurance quotes. Contact an agent today to get started on the path to savings.
- In 2011, 107,000 Americans were treated for injuries sustained while riding ATVs
- Of those, approximately 29,000 were children under the age of 17
- Between 1982 and 2011, more than 200 Indiana residents sustained fatal injuries
The state of Indiana requires insurance coverage for two-wheeled motor vehicles such as motorcycles and dirt-bikes, but there are no insurance requirements for all-terrain vehicles such as UTVs, 4-wheelers, 3-wheelers or side-by-sides.
You likely spent a lot of money on your all-terrain vehicle. If it were to be stolen or damaged in an accident, a comprehensive ATV insurance policy would provide compensation for your losses. More importantly, an ATV insurance policy protects you from liability expenses if you should cause an injury or property damage to someone else while on your ATV.
Indiana State Laws Pertaining to ATV Use
- All ATVs purchased after January 1, 2006 must be titled
- ATVs must be registered if they are operated on public land; registration expires and must be renewed every three years
- Children under 14 may only operate an ATV on land owned by a parent or legal guardian, or while under the direct supervision of an adult
- ATVs may only be driven on paved roads if they are crossing to the other side
Do not count on your homeowners insurance to provide you with the coverage you need for your ATV. This insurance is usually very limited and often only applies if the accident, theft or damage to your ATV occurs on your own property. For full and reliable coverage, you need an Indianapolis ATV insurance policy.
What Will Indianapolis ATV Insurance Cover?
A basic ATV insurance policy will give you liability coverage to cover property damage and medical expenses incurred by a third-party if you cause an accident. This liability coverage will also provide compensation for your legal fees if you are taken to court after a covered event.
Many policies also enable to you purchase optional comprehensive coverage. This is designed to cover damages to your ATV that are not accident-related, including losses due to theft, vandalism, fire, falling objects or weather.
You may also elect to purchase uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. This will provide you with coverage if an uninsured ATV operator causes collision that leaves you with injuries or property damage. Because ATV insurance is not required in Indiana, this added coverage is strongly recommended.
Safety Guidelines for ATV Operators
- A DOT-compliant helmet, goggles, long sleeves and pants, over-the-ankle boots, and gloves can provide protection after an accident
- Avoid riding ATVs on paved roads
- Never operate any sort of vehicle while using drugs or alcohol
- Never allow more passengers than your ATV is designed to carry
- Only operate ATVs that are appropriate for your size
- Online safety classes and hands-on ATV rider courses can provide you with valuable safety information
Find the Best Indianapolis ATV Insurance Policy
Insurance advisors recommend obtaining at least three insurance quotes before purchasing a policy. This ensures that you are getting a well-rounded policy at a competitive rate. Trusted Choice independent agents can make comparison shopping easy for you. They can quickly provide you with quotes for several different policies so that you can make an informed decision.
Independent agents in the Trusted Choice network have all taken a pledge to provide their customers with exceptional service and ethical advice. Find an agent in your neighborhood and discover the many benefits of working with a member of the Trusted Choice network. Your obligation-free Indianapolis ATV insurance quotes are just a click away.