Nearly every citizen of the diverse state of Indiana knows how incredible the off-roading scene is. Whether you love the challenge of taking your 3-wheeler for a spin on the Devil’s Backbone at Haspin Acres or you prefer riding your side-by-side over the sand dunes in Badlands Park, you know how great it feels to enjoy time with family and friends on your ATV. Unfortunately, accidents and injuries are not uncommon when enjoying this pastime, so it is important to have an Indiana ATV insurance policy in place.
Independent agents in the Trusted Choice® network can help you secure a comprehensive ATV insurance policy at a competitive rate. Because they have relationships with several different insurance companies, independent agents can easily find you an affordable Indiana ATV insurance policy that meets your coverage and budgetary needs. Find an agent today to get an obligation-free quote.
- In 2010, an estimated 115,000 Americans sustained serious injuries in ATV accidents
- Approximately 28,000 of those injured were children under the age of 17
- Between 1982 and 2011, 220 Indiana residents lost their lives in ATV accidents
Several states have laws that require ATV riders to carry insurance, but Indiana does not require it, with the exception of two-wheeled motorized vehicles like dirt bikes.
Riding without insurance coverage can result in major financial losses. If your ATV is stolen, damaged or if you are involved in an accident that causes serious injuries to another person, major bills could follow. Whether you use your ATV for ranching, hunting or trail riding, having ATV insurance is an important step toward protecting your finances.
All-Terrain Vehicle State Laws for IN
- All ATVs purchased since January 1, 2006 must be titled
- All ATVs must be registered if operated on public lands; registration must be renewed every three years
- Children under the age of 14 may not operate and ATV unless they are riding on land owned by a parent or legal guardian, or they are under the direct supervision of an adult
- Riding an ATV on paved roads is prohibited, with the exception of riding on these roads for the purpose of crossing to the other side
Many people think that their homeowners insurance will cover their ATV, but this coverage may be limited and is usually only applicable if the accident, theft or damage occurs on your property. For complete coverage when you’re on an adventure outdoors, you need an ATV insurance policy.
What Does ATV Insurance Cover?
ATV insurance is designed to provide coverage to owners of all sorts of ATVs, including three-wheelers, four-wheelers and side-by-sides. It will provide you with liability coverage to cover property damage and medical expenses if you are responsible for an accident while operating your ATV. This liability insurance will also provide compensation for legal fees and court costs if you are sued following a covered event.
Many comprehensive ATV policies will also cover non-accident-related damages to your ATV. This may include losses due to theft, vandalism, fire, falling objects or weather. If you also elect to purchase uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, you will be covered if an uninsured ATV operator is at fault for a collision in which you suffer injuries or loss. Because Indiana does not require ATV insurance, this added coverage is strongly recommended.
Safety Tips for ATV Operators
- Appropriate dress includes a DOT-compliant helmet, goggles, long sleeves, long pants, over-the-ankle boots, and gloves
- Avoid riding on paved roads
- Never ride while using drugs or alcohol
- Never ride with more passengers than the ATV is designed to carry
- Do not ride an ATV that is not appropriate for your size
- Hands-on ATV courses and online safety courses can provide you with valuable safety information and are highly recommended
Find the Best Indiana ATV Insurance Policy
Insurance professionals recommend obtaining a minimum of three insurance quotes before selecting a policy. Trusted Choice independent agents can simplify this process for you. Because they have relationships with several different insurance providers, they can present you with a selection of competitively priced policies to choose from.