Indiana Tornado Insurance

Written by Steve Dahl
Written by Steve Dahl

Steve is a financial services expert who has dedicated himself to the insurance industry for the last 5+ years. Steve is a key contributor to


Tornadoes are fairly common in the Midwest, and Indiana gets its share each year, averaging about 20 twisters annually. You will typically find that Indiana tornado insurance is included in your standard homeowners policy or renters policy. What about your car, RV, boat and other possessions? While tornado coverage is not a specialized form of insurance, you want to make sure you are adequately protected for your risks with your other policies.

The best place to find the coverage you need is through an independent insurance agent in our network. If you are seeking Indiana tornado insurance quotes, contact a local member agent today. Your agent can assess your needs, provide information on the risks in the area, and help to ensure that you are prepared for the damaging forces of nature.

  • Indiana ranks as 7th for frequency of tornadoes
  • Indiana ranks 3rd for tornado fatalities
  • Indiana ranks 4th for tornado injuries
  • Indiana ranks 3rd for tornado damage costs

Facts About Tornadoes

There are over 1,000 tornadoes each year in the U.S., mostly occurring during “tornado season,” which is the months of March through June. However, twisters can occur at any time of year. These sudden, destructive storms are the most prevalent type of natural disaster here in the U.S. and are responsible for close to 57% of all the catastrophic loss in this country. A tornado can have a wind speed as high as 250 miles per hour, can span an area as much as a mile across, and can stay on the ground for up to 50 miles. On average, tornadoes in the U.S. are responsible for close to 70 fatalities and 1,500 injuries each year.


Save on Tornado Insurance

Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.

What You Need to Know About Indiana Tornado Insurance

You do not need to purchase separate Indiana tornado insurance, as it is typically included in standard homeowners or renters insurance policy that covers your home and your possessions. Other policies you buy to cover things like recreational vehicles should provide coverage for wind damage and tornadoes as well. Here in “tornado alley,” as this region of the U.S. is sometimes called, you may be concerned about whether your insurance is sufficient if your home or other belongings are destroyed in a disaster. The following are some tips for assessing your risks and coverage needs:

  • Home insurance: Make sure you have full replacement cost insurance for your home. This type of coverage will ensure that you will receive the appropriate compensation to completely rebuild your home if you need to file a claim after a catastrophic loss. By contrast, “actual cash value” coverage will provide compensation based on your home’s depreciated value.
  • Personal property: Take an inventory of all of your possessions and consider what it would cost to replace these items. You can make a list on paper, or you can use a video camera to document your possessions. Additionally, it’s a good idea to keep your receipts if you buy expensive new possessions and store all of these records and important documents in a safe place.
  • Named perils and exclusions: Be sure to review your home policy carefully, and of course, consider working with an independent agent in our network if you need new or better coverage. If you have a “named peril” policy, make sure tornadoes are named as a covered event. Also, look through the list of exclusions to make sure the primary threats and concerns you have are not excluded from your coverage.
  • Collectibles and valuables: Be aware that art, collectibles, and any items that increase in value over time may not be covered under your standard policy. You may need to purchase a separate “rider” to fully insure expensive possessions. Talk to your insurance professional about specialty items, antiques, and collectibles to make sure they are covered.
  • Boats, RVs, Snowmobiles and ATVs: If you have recreational vehicles or watercrafts, they may need their own coverage. With the exception of RVs, insurance is typically not required for most types of boats and specialty vehicles, and therefore many people are not prepared for the type of damage and loss a twister can cause. Be sure to talk with a knowledgeable agent about all of your vehicles and toys.

You may be concerned that you need special Indiana tornado insurance to cover living expenses if you need to find temporary living arrangements after a natural disaster. Your home or renters policy may provide coverage for this eventuality. Again, it’s a good idea to work with a knowledgeable agent to fully assess your coverage needs and get the appropriate coverage in place.

Where Can I Find Indiana Tornado Insurance?

You can find the right coverage for your home, personal property and all of your vehicles by contacting an independent insurance agent in our network. An independent agent can evaluate your insurance needs and advise you about your coverage options. These agents have access to many different insurers, so you’ll be able to compare Indiana tornado insurance quotes and coverage for everything you own in one local office.

Find a member agent today to get the personalized assistance you need and get peace of mind.

Share this page on Twitter Share this page on Facebook Share this page on LinkedIn