The Village of Ridgewood is home to around 26,000 people. This bedroom community offers its residents a low crime rate, exceptional schools, and an easy commute into New York City. If you own a house in Ridgewood, you can protect your investment with homeowners insurance.
Local independent agents are free to work with some of the area’s most highly rated insurance companies as they shop around to find you the best and most affordable home coverage. Contact an independent insurance agent near you to learn more and start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes.
What Is Homeowners Insurance and Is It Required in Ridgewood, NJ?
Homeowners insurance is a policy designed to cover your house, property, and personal finances if you are hit with a personal liability lawsuit.
Although this insurance is not required by law, your lender will want you to carry it if you owe money on a mortgage or a home equity loan. Whether or not you are required to have it, home insurance is highly recommended, particularly in Ridgewood, where home values are relatively high.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Ridgewood, NJ?
Homeowners insurance rates in New Jersey tend to be lower than the national average. However, in Ridgewood, where property values are higher than throughout most of the state, rates are likely to exceed this average.
- National average yearly premium: $1,211
- New Jersey average yearly premium: $1,192
Homeowners insurance rates can vary from one property owner to the next because they are calculated on a case-by-case basis according to several factors, such as:
- Your home’s age, rebuild value, and the materials used in its construction
- The size of your home’s living space in square feet
- The estimated value of your personal property
- Your insurance claims history and credit score
- The size of your deductible
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance, boat insurance, or life insurance
You can expect that every insurance company you contact for quotes will offer coverage at a different price. Comparing customized quotes from a few competing insurance providers lets you choose the policy that provides the coverage you want at the most competitive rate.
Independent insurance agents in Ridgewood make comparison shopping easy.
Where Can I Find Cheap Homeowners Insurance in Ridgewood, NJ?
Nobody wants to overspend on home insurance. However, skimping on coverage is not the most cost-effective way to protect one of your most valuable assets.
When shopping for coverage, you should be looking for the policy that offers the best value rather than the policy you can purchase at the lowest price.
The cheapest policies can offer coverage at such low prices because they typically have extremely high deductibles and limited coverage. They may also be written by insurance companies that have complicated and time-consuming claims processes.
Independent agents can help you find a competitively priced policy that offers all the coverage you need to suitably protect the investment you have made in your Ridgewood home.
What Does Homeowners Insurance Cover in Ridgewood, NJ?
Homeowners insurance protects your finances in three ways:
- By covering your house and personal property
- By covering expenses related to displacement
- By covering against liability lawsuits
Each of these coverage types will be discussed in greater detail below.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
How Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Your House and Personal Property?
Your home insurance can pay to repair, rebuild, or replace your house and property if it is lost or damaged due to a covered event. Some of the covered risks that may affect property owners in Ridgewood include:
- Fires: Your policy can cover damage caused by flames, smoke, and firefighting efforts in the event of a fire or explosion.
- Falling objects: Your policy can pay for repair costs if falling objects like hailstones or tree branches damage your house or property.
- Water damage: Your policy can pay for repair costs if you experience water damage because of a burst pipe or a leak in your roof, windows, or plumbing system. However, it will not cover water damage caused by floods.
- Severe weather: Your policy can pay for damage caused by perils like lightning strikes, windstorms, thunderstorms, hurricanes, tornadoes, heavy snow, and ice accumulation.
- Property crimes: Your policy can cover the cost of replacing stolen property and repairing damage caused by vandalism and other property crimes.
You will want to be sure you have enough dwelling insurance to cover the cost of rebuilding your home and enough contents insurance to cover all of your personal property. That way, if a catastrophic event like a fire destroys your house, you will have the funds needed to return to your accustomed lifestyle.
How Does Loss of Use Insurance Cover Ridgewood, NJ Homeowners against Displacement?
If you experience a disaster like a structure fire, property loss and damage isn’t the only expensive outcome you will need to worry about. If the damage is significant, it may not be safe for you and your family to live in your home until repairs are made.
Loss of use insurance is a standard part of every home insurance policy. It can cover your extra living expenses if damage from a covered event renders your home unsafe for habitation, and you need to seek alternate accommodations.
While your house is being brought back to code, loss of use coverage can pay for things like:
- A hotel or other reasonable accommodations
- A meal or grocery allowance
- Moving, storage, and pet boarding fees
- Laundry and dry cleaning expenses
- Mileage reimbursement if you have to drive further to get to and from work
Your coverage can continue until it is safe to return home or until you have built or purchased a new primary residence.
Why Do Homeowners in Ridgewood, NJ Need Personal Liability Coverage?
Accidents, negligence, and errors in judgment can sometimes cause other people to suffer financial losses, injuries, or property damage. If you or someone in your household unintentionally causes harm to others, your homeowners liability insurance can help.
Homeowners liability insurance is a standard part of every home insurance policy. It can cover expenses related to personal liability lawsuits, including legal defense fees, court costs, mediation costs, settlements, and judgments if you are sued for a covered event.
Examples of times when you might need this coverage include:
- If a guest is severely injured in an accident on your property
- If you accidentally injure someone else while away from home, such as while hitting the links at the Ridgewood Country Club
- If your pet gets loose and bites someone or damages their property
- If your child hits a baseball through a neighbor’s picture window while playing in the backyard
- If you are accused of libel or slander
If you want to have even more liability protection than your homeowners insurance can provide, you can supplement your coverage with an umbrella insurance policy. This is an affordable way to significantly boost all of your personal liability coverage.
Do Homeowners in Ridgewood, NJ Need Flood Insurance?
Floods can be extremely expensive for property owners. According to FEMA, as little as one inch of rainwater in your house can cause up to $25,000 in property damage. However, homeowners insurance does not cover flood damage.
Fortunately, the flood risk in Ridgewood is minor. Only around 650 properties in this city have at least a 26% chance of sustaining significant flood damage over the next 30 years. If your home is among those at risk, you may want to consider supplementing your home coverage with flood insurance.
A local independent agent can help you review flood maps and assess your risk of flood damage. If needed, your agent can also help you obtain an affordable flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
What Is the Burglary Rate in Ridgewood, NJ?
The burglary rate in New Jersey is lower than the national rate, and in Ridgewood, the rate is even lower. Residents of this city report around 25 burglaries a year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 people in the US: 3.76
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 people in New Jersey: 2.16
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 people in Ridgewood: 0.87
Though the risk is relatively low in Ridgewood, know that burglar alarms and surveillance cameras are among the most effective theft deterrents available. You may be able to earn significant home insurance discounts if you have a home security system installed in your house.
Unfortunately, nothing is 100% foolproof against a determined burglar. If you are the victim of a property crime, first ensure that you and your family are safe and then call the authorities.
It may give you some peace of mind to know that your homeowners insurance can compensate you for your losses as well as for any damage the burglar may have done to your home. You will need a copy of a police report when you file your claim.
What Are the Best Homeowners Insurance Companies in Ridgewood, New Jersey?
The insurance companies that stand out above the rest are the ones that have consistently provided their policyholders with responsive customer service, reliable coverage, timely claims processing, and competitive rates.
Independent insurance agents in Ridgewood have teamed up with some of the best homeowners insurance companies in New Jersey. When your agent presents you with a selection of policies and quotes to review and compare, you can be confident that they all come from trustworthy insurers.
How Can an Independent Insurance Agent in Ridgewood, NJ Help Me Find the Best Coverage?
Independent agents are available to help you with all your insurance coverage needs. You can turn to one of these local agents for knowledgeable answers to your coverage-related questions, trustworthy advice, and assistance with finding the best and most affordable home insurance policy.
Contact an independent insurance agent near you to set up an obligation-free consultation. You will soon discover how easy it can be to compare customized homeowners insurance quotes from multiple providers.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.