There are more than 150 farms in South Carolina’s Georgetown County. The top commodities produced on these farms are tobacco, corn, soybeans, and cotton. If you are among the farmers in the Georgetown area, you can help to keep your businesses profitable by investing in a comprehensive farm insurance policy.
Independent agents in Georgetown are ready to help you find the best policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. Contact an insurance agent near you to learn more and to start comparing customized quotes for farm insurance.
What Is Georgetown Farm Insurance?
Farm insurance is a specialized policy that is designed to meet the unique coverage needs of farm and ranch owners. It combines coverage for your home with coverage for your farming business in an easy-to-manage, fully customizable policy package.
Independent insurance agents can help you review your various coverage options as you build your farm insurance policy. That way, you can be sure you are purchasing a policy that covers you against all of the hazards you are likely to face as a farmer in the Georgetown area.
Georgetown Farm Insurance Covers against Liability Risks
As with businesses, farms and ranches have several liability risks. That is why farm insurance includes homeowners liability coverage and business liability coverage as a standard part of every policy. Liability insurance is designed to pay for court costs, legal fees, and damages if you are sued for a covered event. The following are some examples of available farm liability coverage:
- Personal liability insurance: If you live on your farm property, this can provide coverage if you or someone in your household causes accidental damage or injuries to another, even when away from home. It can also cover you against accusations of libel or slander.
- Premises liability insurance: This can pay for third-party injuries and damage if visitors, guests, or customers are involved in an accident while on your farm or ranch property.
- Product liability insurance: This can pay for third-party illnesses, injuries, or other damage if a product that your farm or ranch produces or sells is defective or contaminated in some way.
- Workers’ compensation insurance: If you have at least four employees and you spend more than $3,000 a year paying them, South Carolina requires you to cover them with workers’ compensation insurance. This insurance can cover the cost of treating employee injuries and reimbursing workers for lost wages if they need to take time off to recuperate.
An independent insurance agent can help you review these and other liability coverage options so that you can make an informed decision about which policies are a good fit for your Georgetown-area farm.
Georgetown Farm Insurance Covers Your Property
As a coastal town, Georgetown is highly susceptible to hurricane damage. Hurricanes and tropical storms can damage crops and threaten the well-being of livestock due to high winds, torrential downpours, and flooding. Other risks that can lead to property damage on your Georgetown farm include hail, fire, and lightning.
Fortunately, farm insurance can cover property damage caused by all of these risks except flooding. For that you will need to purchase a supplementary flood insurance policy and, if possible, add special endorsement to cover flood damage to specialized property like equipment and machinery.
Some of the property that your farm insurance policy can cover includes:
- Your farmhouse: If you live on your farm or ranch, farm insurance can provide you with coverage for the structure of your home (dwelling insurance) as well as for the personal property inside it (contents insurance).
- Outbuildings: Farm insurance can cover the structure and contents of the other structures on your property, including bunkhouses, barns, silos, stables, sheds, and garages.
- Equipment and machinery: Farm insurance can cover the cost to repair damage to your farm equipment and machinery, including tractors, plows, balers, cultivators, sprayers, and sprinkler systems.
Talk to a local independent insurance agent to learn more about how farm insurance, coupled with flood insurance, can cover all of your valuable farm property.
Georgetown Farm Insurance Offers Additional Coverage
Farm insurance companies also offer a number of coverage options. This enables you to customize your policy by choosing only the coverage that makes sense for your particular farm or ranch. Some options you may want to consider include:
- Specialized property insurance: Some farm property may be specifically excluded from your policy’s standard property coverage. This may include electric fences, livestock, and feed. Fortunately, you can purchase special endorsements in order to get all the coverage you need.
- Equipment breakdown insurance: This can pay to quickly repair or replace malfunctioning or broken-down farm equipment so you can keep your business running smoothly.
- Crop insurance: This is government-backed coverage that is designed to cover losses if your crops are damaged by severe weather, insect infestations, plant diseases, or other hazards. It can also help to make up the difference in revenues if there is a large, unexpected drop in commodity market values.
- Farm income insurance: This coverage is designed to make up the difference between expected and actual profits if your farm’s operations are hindered by a disaster such as a hurricane or hail.
- Debris clean-up and removal insurance: This coverage can pay for the cost of timely clean-up of debris if severe weather causes extensive damage, such as building destruction or fallen trees, on your farm. That way, you can get back to normal operations as quickly as possible.
Talk to an insurance agent near you to learn about these and other coverage offerings that are available to you. Your agent can help you decide which options are appropriate for your particular farm.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Georgetown, SC?
When you work with an independent agent who lives and works in the Georgetown area, you can be sure that you are getting advice and guidance from an insurance professional who is familiar with the risks you face as a farm or ranch owner in eastern South Carolina.
Independent insurance agents can shop around to help you find a suitable farm insurance policy at a competitive price. Contact an insurance agent near you to learn more.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.