The South Carolina coastline is vulnerable to hurricanes and tropical storms. These storms form over the Atlantic Ocean and occasionally make landfall before dying out as they move further inland. Coastal towns, such as Myrtle Beach and Hilton Head, stand to lose a lot when one of these storms blows through, but those who live further from the shore can experience significant damage as well. It is therefore important that this state’s residents review their current insurance policies to ensure that they are properly covered against hurricane damage.
An independent agent in the Trusted Choice® network can help you find the coverage you need at an affordable rate. Member agents can help you review your current coverage and may be able to suggest ways to increase your coverage without straining your budget. These independent agents work with multiple insurers, so you can be sure that you are getting your policy at a great price. Find a member agent near you for more information and start comparing South Carolina hurricane insurance quotes today.
South Carolina Hurricane Facts
- The South Carolina coastline extends for more than 180 miles
- Between 1900 and 2000, 14 hurricanes made landfall along the South Carolina coast
- This state experiences a significant hurricane about once every seven years
- In 1979, Hurricane Hugo caused $5.9 billion in damages in South Carolina alone
- In 1954, Hurricane Hazel made landfall near Little River, SC and caused significant damage in the state
South Carolina Hurricane Insurance Protects Your Home
Some states have specialized hurricane insurance policies but here in South Carolina, your homeowners insurance policy will cover many aspects of hurricane damage. A local independent agent in the Trusted Choice network understands the elevated risks you face and can help you find insurance coverage that meets your needs.
Wind and water are the two most destructive forces of a hurricane.
- Wind: In a Category 5 hurricane, winds can reach more than 155 miles per hour. Furthermore, hurricanes often spawn tornadoes in their wake.
- Damage: Glass can shatter, roofs may be blown away and some structures will completely collapse. Even in a less-damaging tropical storm, roofs can be damaged and flying debris can significantly damage your house.
- Insurance: Your homeowner policy should cover damage caused by high wind but make sure you have adequate coverage limits. Frequently update your policy to reflect the true value of your home and its contents.
- Water: Hurricanes bring with them heavy storm surges that can significantly damage homes along the coast. They also bring heavy rainfall that can flood homes further inland.
- Damage: Flood damage can be very expensive. Water can ruin your personal belongings and severely damage the structural integrity of your home.
- Insurance: Most homeowners insurance policies do NOT cover flood damage. You will need an NFIP-backed flood insurance policy to be covered for flood damage. A Trusted Choice member agent can provide more information and help you secure a flood insurance policy.
South Carolina Hurricane Insurance Protects Your Vehicle
The only way to protect your vehicles from the damaging effects of a hurricane is through comprehensive auto insurance. Comprehensive coverage is not required by law, though it may be required by lenders if you finance the purchase of your vehicle. Comprehensive coverage will provide you with compensation if your car or truck is damaged by wind, flooding, or flying debris from a hurricane or tropical storm.
Compare South Carolina Hurricane Insurance Quotes
You may already have enough coverage against hurricane damage, but if not, you might want to consider buying additional endorsements, or riders. Allow an agent in the Trusted Choice network to review your currently-held policies with you to ensure that you have all the coverage you need. These agents may even be able to find you better policies that provide more coverage at a lower cost.
Local insurance professionals in the Trusted Choice network can give you ethical advice, personalized service, and a variety of competitive rate quotes from top-rated companies. Contact an agent near you today to learn more about South Carolina hurricane insurance.