South Carolina is a beautiful state with many sights for residents to enjoy. RV owners have the freedom to travel to the scenic Blue Ridge Mountains and romantic coastal getaways, as well as historic plantations and the popular Myrtle Beach. If you are an RV owner who wants to take advantage of these sights, you need to carry South Carolina RV insurance to protect your motorhome investment.
You can find a policy that will properly cover your RV by speaking with a member independent agent in the Trusted Choice® network. A member agent can help to assess your needs and provide several South Carolina motorhome insurance quotes to compare. Contact an agent today to find the right insurance policy for your RV at an affordable rate.
2011 SC Motor Vehicle Accident Fatality Statistics
- There were 828 motor vehicle accident fatalities
- There were 547 vehicle passenger fatalities
- There were 276 fatalities related to excess speed
RV Classification Types
Insurers consider many different types of vehicles to determine RV classifications. There are many models of RVs, from Class A motorhomes to camper vans. Knowing how your RV is classified will help you locate and select the right South Carolina RV insurance policy for your particular make and model.
Insurers break RV classification down into these types:
- Class A motorhome: This is the largest RV model on the road. Class A motorhomes provide the advantage of a home and a vehicle in one self-contained unit.
- Class B motorhome: This is the smallest RV model on the road. This model usually provides you with the most basic facilities and conveniences.
- Class C motorhome: This mid-sized RV model, frequently called a “mini-motorhome,” is a favorite for family vacations.
- RV bus conversion: This RV type is a bus or larger-sized van altered to include living accommodations.
- RV travel trailer: The RV travel trailer is attached and towed behind a trailer with a hitch.
- Fifth-wheel RV: This RV is a travel trailer with a fifth-wheel hitch.
- Camper van: This is a camper carried on the back of a pick-up bed.
The Cost of South Carolina RV Insurance
Your insurance company will measure many factors to determine the premium for your South Carolina RV insurance policy, including the following:
- Drivers' ages and experience
- SC division of motor vehicle record
- RV classification
- RV make, model and size
- RV age
- Type of coverage, such as recreational/vacation or full-timer’s coverage, as well as liability, collision and comprehensive
- Amount of coverage chosen
An RV policy can differ from insurer to insurer. You can buy the policy as a package or select additional add-on options. The types of coverage and options may include the following:
- Liability: Covers both property and injuries you may cause to others in an accident.
- Collision: Covers repair or replacement of your vehicle following an accident.
- Comprehensive or "other than collision": Covers perils such as vandalism, fire or theft.
- Accessories: Covers awnings and other specified accessories.
- Branch collision: Covers collision damage to your vehicle sustained from a low-hanging branch.
- Roadside assistance: Covers towing and repairs in the event of a mechanical breakdown.
- Medical payments: Covers medical expenses for anyone riding in your vehicle.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorists: Protects you if you are involved in an accident with an individual who is at fault, and who has no insurance or has insufficient coverage.
- Full-timer’s coverage: Covers you if you use your RV for extended stays or as your full-time home.
South Carolina RV Insurance Policy Discounts
Many insurers offer a variety of discounts to help you save money on your premium. These are some of the discounts:
- Safe driver discounts
- Bundling the RV policy with other policies you may have
- Discounts if you are in the military
- Professional organization and union discounts
- Signup discounts
- Paying your RV premium annually as opposed to monthly
How to Locate South Carolina Motorhome Insurance Quotes
Whether you are an occasional or full-time RV user, you want to make sure you have adequate RV insurance protection at a reasonable price. A local independent agent in the Trusted Choice network can answer your questions and help you find the insurance policy that is right for you.
Your agent can provide a range of policy coverage options from many different insurers, and can help you compare several South Carolina motorhome insurance quotes. Contact a member agent today to find a policy for your RV that meets your needs and budget.