South Carolina is famous for its beaches and southern hospitality. Residents who live in ‘”The Palmetto State” love to tour the historic district in Charleston, home to 73 pre-Revolutionary buildings and about another 136 buildings completed in the late 18th century. There are also hundreds of other buildings to marvel at that were built in the 1840s. As you tour this beautiful state and enjoy the sights, a motorcycle can be a great way to get around. To protect your finances in the event of an accident, take advantage of South Carolina motorcycle insurance to gain peace of mind.
Motorcycle insurance also covers choppers, dirt bikes and sport bikes. You can compare South Carolina motorcycle insurance quotes by contacting a local independent agent in the Trusted Choice® network. Contact an agent today to locate the motorcycle coverage that you need.
Average Annual South Carolina Motorcycle Accident Injury Statistics
- Motorcycle accidents resulted in 751 hospitalizations
- Motorcycle accidents resulted in 2,963 emergency room visits
- Hospitalization and emergency room visits total cost $73,718,189
South Carolina Motorcycle Insurance Requirements
The South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles has set minimum liability coverage standards for any registered South Carolina motorcycle operator based on a 25/50/25 formula:
- $25,000 liability coverage for bodily injury/death to one person
- $50,000 liability coverage for death or bodily injury to 2 or more people
- $25,000 liability coverage for property damage
Liability Coverage Explained
When you cause an accident, you have some legal responsibility to replace or repair damaged property and pay for medical treatment for third parties. Liability insurance will provide coverage up to the amounts specified for bodily injuries and property damage you cause. If you are taken to court after an accident you caused, your liability insurance can pay for your legal defense as well as the judgment or settlement amount, up to the coverage limits you set. An independent agent in the Trusted Choice network can help you understand your liability insurance coverage and will help you choose limits that will help protect your finances after an accident.
If you're particularly concerned about liability coverage gaps after a major accident, an umbrella insurance policy may be an excellent investment. Umbrella insurance provides additional liability protection over-and-above the South Carolina motorcycle insurance liability coverage you carry. A typical policy can provide $1 million in additional liability insurance that can help further protect you from the cost of litigation and third-party bodily injury or property damage.
Other Motorcycle Insurance Coverage Options
You may wish to choose from other South Carolina motorcycle insurance options, which can consist of the following:
- Collision: Provides insurance coverage for repairs or replacement if your motorcycle is damaged or destroyed as a result of a collision accident
- Comprehensive or "other than collision": Provides insurance coverage for damage to your bike from other-than-collision damage, such as the theft of your bike, acts of vandalism or fire
- Medical Payments/personal injury: Provides insurance coverage for medical treatment costs or funeral expenses should you be injured or killed in a motorcycle crash
- Uninsured/underinsured: Provides insurance protection from other drivers who are not insured or don’t have enough insurance to cover damage to your bike or if medical treatment for your bodily injuries
- Accessories: Insurance protection that is offered for your bike accessories; this protection also include any customized features you added to your motorcycle after purchase
S.C. Motorcyclist Insurance Premiums
The premium you will pay for a South Carolina motorcycle insurance policy will vary based on several several factors unique to you and your bike. The rate you will be assessed may depend on the following:
- Your age
- Your driving record
- The make and model of your bike
- The year the bike was manufactured
- The engine horsepower
- Where the motorcycle is parked or stored
- How often you use the motorcycle and the purpose
- The deductible you choose
- The kinds of coverage options you select for your policy
- The amount of coverage you choose
- Motorcycle customization add-ons
You can reduce the amount you pay on your South Carolina motorcycle insurance policy by using an insurer that offers discounts. Discounts for motorcycle policies could include:
- Safe driver discounts
- Military discounts
- Professional organization discounts
- Union member discounts
You can also lower your premium by bundling your insurance policy with other policies that you have with the same insurance company. Ask an independent agent in the Trusted Choice network about the savings options available to you.
Finding South Carolina Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
When you're trying to get the best bang for your insurance buck, it's a good idea to comparison shop. To find several South Carolina motorcycle insurance quotes with ease, contact a Trusted Choice member agent. Independent agents work with several insurers, not just a single company like a captive agent. Because of this freedom to work with a variety of companies, independent agents are uniquely able to present a variety of quotes for the motorcycle coverage you need.
Contact an agent right now to make sure you have the right policy for your motorcycle.