Many residents of New Jersey enjoy traveling and camping in recreational vehicles. In fact, people in the Garden State spend nearly $80 million a year on RV sales and service. If you are the owner of a recreational vehicle, you can protect your investment and your finances with a good RV insurance policy.
Local independent agents can gather policies and rates from a selection of highly rated insurance companies in New Jersey to help you find a great policy at a competitive price. Find an independent insurance agent near you to get more information and to start comparing customized RV insurance quotes.
How Much Does RV Insurance Cost in New Jersey?
RV insurance costs can range from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars a year depending on several factors such as:
- Whether your RV is a motorized vehicle or a trailer
- Your RV’s length, weight, type, class, and value
- The value of the personal property in your RV's living quarters
- How often and how far you plan to drive your RV per year
- How much time you plan to spend living in your RV per year
- Your driving record and insurance claims history
- Which, if any, coverage options you want to include in your policy
- The size of your deductible
To find out how much it will cost to insure your RV, you can contact insurance providers to request customized quotes. Or, if you prefer, an independent insurance agent can do this on your behalf.
Is RV Insurance Required in New Jersey?
If your RV is a non-motorized towable, such as a teardrop camper, travel trailer, or fifth wheel, you are not required by New Jersey state law to cover it with an RV policy. Instead, you can add a trailer insurance endorsement to the policy of the vehicle that you will be using to tow it.
On the other hand, if your RV is a self-propelled, motorized vehicle, like a motorhome or camper van, it will be held to the same minimum coverage requirements as your car or truck.
Additionally, if you have financed the purchase of your RV, your lender will most likely require you to have an RV insurance policy that includes coverage against physical damage.
What Kind of Coverage Can a Standard RV Insurance Policy Provide in New Jersey?
RV insurance policies are a mixture of required and optional coverage. Using coverage options, you can fully customize your policy to match the type of RV you own and how you use it.
A standard RV insurance policy in New Jersey must include the following:
- Liability insurance: This is required by the state for motorized RVs. It covers other people’s medical bills and property damage if you cause a collision. Your policy must include, at a minimum:
- Bodily injury liability coverage per person: $15,000
- Bodily injury liability coverage per accident: $30,000
- Property damage liability coverage per accident: $5,000
- Personal injury protection (PIP): This can cover medical bills and related expenses if you or your passengers are injured in a collision, regardless of fault. Your policy must include at least $15,000 in PIP coverage per person.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance (UIM): This is designed to pay for medical and related costs that go beyond what your PIP can cover if you or your passengers are injured in a collision caused by an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver. Your policy must include at least:
- UIM bodily injury coverage per person: $25,000
- UIM bodily injury coverage per accident: $50,000
You can also expect your RV insurance company to offer a variety of coverage options, including things like:
- Physical damage insurance: This covers loss or damage to your RV. If you are still paying for your RV, your lender will likely require you to have this insurance. Otherwise, it is optional. Physical damage coverage includes:
- Personal liability insurance: This is ideal for full-time RVers. It provides the same kind of personal liability protection you would normally get through a traditional homeowners or renters insurance policy.
- Vacation liability insurance: This supplements your personal liability insurance so you can be sure that you will have sufficient coverage if you are unintentionally responsible for property damage or injuries while staying at an RV park.
- Contents insurance: This can cover the cost of repairing or replacing the personal belongings in your RV if they are lost or damaged because of a covered event like a burglary or severe storm.
- Towing and roadside assistance: RVs require specialized towing and service, so if your RV breaks down while you’re out on the road, this coverage can prove quite beneficial.
Also, because RVs are larger and heavier than most vehicles on the road, if you cause a collision while you are driving one, you could cause a lot of property damage and serious injuries to others. You may therefore want to consider boosting your liability coverage with an umbrella insurance policy.
It is a good idea to review all offered coverage options and their costs so you can best determine which optional coverage is a good fit for you and your family.
Save on RV Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is RV Gap Insurance in New Jersey?
If you do not have gap insurance and your RV is totaled, the compensation you receive from your insurance company may not be sufficient to pay off your RV loan, leaving you still making payments on a vehicle you no longer own.
RV gap insurance is designed to bridge the gap between what you still owe for your recreational vehicle and what it is currently worth.
This is often useful coverage to have during the first couple of years of new RV ownership because this is when the value of your RV is likely to depreciate faster than the principal on your loan decreases. Once your loan catches up to your vehicle value, you will want to cancel this coverage.
New Jersey Health Insurance for Full-Time RVers
Health insurance is very useful to have. If you are not insured by an employer-provided policy, Medicare, or other healthcare coverage plan, a local independent agent can assist you with reviewing your options on the private market.
Your agent can help you find a policy that will provide the coverage you need no matter where in the US your RV has taken you. Your agent can also help you find suitable health insurance coverage if you plan to drive your recreational vehicle into Canada or Mexico for an extended vacation.
What Are the Best RV Insurance Companies in New Jersey?
The best RV insurance companies in New Jersey are the ones that have a well-documented history of providing responsive customer service, reliable coverage, and competitive rates.
Independent agents in New Jersey have relationships with some of the state’s most highly recommended insurance providers. This lets you rest assured that any policies your agent presents for your review are offered by dependable insurance companies.
How Can an Independent Agent Help Me Find the Best RV Insurance in New Jersey?
If you are looking for an ideal RV insurance policy, you can benefit from working with an independent agent in New Jersey. These agents are available to offer obligation-free guidance and advice, and are free to work with a variety of insurance providers as they shop around for the best policy.
Discover the many benefits of having a local insurance professional on your side. Find an independent insurance agent near you to learn more and to start comparing customized RV insurance quotes.
TrustedChoice.com Article | Reviewed by Jeffrey Green
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.