From fender benders on Route 35 to multi-car collisions on the Garden State Parkway, accidents can happen anywhere, any time, and to anyone. This is particularly true in the winter months when roadways can be slick with ice and slush. Fortunately, a solid car insurance policy can prevent an accident from causing you a large financial loss. Independent Insurance Agents can help Middletown drivers find the most affordable rates for their car insurance coverage. Whether you’re a first-time driver or you've been behind the wheel for decades, our experienced agents can help you score the best rates. Contact an insurance agent near you to learn more.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Middletown Township, NJ?
The average cost of car insurance in New Jersey is higher than the national rate; however, in Middletown, rates tend to be lower. This is good news for area residents who are searching for an affordable policy.
- National average cost per year: $1,311
- New Jersey average cost per year: $1,595
- Middletown average cost per year: $1,281
Your actual car insurance rate will be calculated according to several factors such as the type of car you drive, your age and your driving record. Every insurance company computes rates in a different way, so comparison shopping helps you find competitively priced coverage. Independent insurance agents work on your behalf to find the lowest rates on auto insurance. These agents can provide you with quotes from multiple providers to help you find a plan that is a good fit for you.
What Are New Jersey's Car Insurance Requirements?
Vehicle owners in Middletown must have car insurance that meets or exceeds New Jersey's minimum coverage requirements. This state allows drivers to purchase a standard car insurance policy, or they can buy a less expensive, but more limited, basic car insurance policy. A standard car insurance policy must include, at a minimum, the following:
- Liability insurance coverage:
- Bodily injury liability coverage of at least $15,000 per person / $30,000 per accident
- Property damage liability coverage of at least $5,000 per accident
- Personal injury protection (PIP): Coverage of at least $15,000 per person / $30,000 per accident
New Jersey residents also have to option to purchase a basic coverage policy, which is much less expensive but provides very little in the way of coverage. A basic policy must provide:
- $5,000 in property damage liability coverage
- $15,000 in personal injury protection.
A basic policy does not include bodily injury liability coverage but it will provide up to $250,000 for very serious injuries like brain damage. Be aware, however, that although a basic policy or a bare-minimum standard policy may save you money in the short run, if you are responsible for a serious collision, your liability costs can greatly exceed what your policy will cover. In that case, you would be expected to make up the difference out of pocket. That's why many Middletown drivers opt to purchase coverage with higher-than-required liability limits. For those who have a lot to lose, an umbrella insurance policy can further protect your assets.
What Else Can Middletown Car Insurance Cover?
There are a number of policy options that you can also include in your policy. These include:
- Collision and comprehensive insurance: This pays to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled, regardless of fault. Collision insurance covers accident-related damage, while comprehensive insurance covers non-collision damage such as that caused by falling objects and floods. These optional coverage types are typically required by lenders if you are still paying for your car and by dealerships if you are leasing it.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: This pays for your damage and injuries if you are in a collision that is the fault of an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver. In New Jersey, an estimated 10.3% of vehicle owners are operating uninsured vehicles, so this coverage can prove quite important.
- Towing and roadside assistance: This pays for the cost of assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled while you are out on the road.
- Rental reimbursement coverage: This can cover the cost of renting a vehicle while repairs are being made to your car following a covered event.
Talk to your insurance agent to learn more about each of these coverage options and for help deciding whether they are a good fit for you.
Middletown Car Insurance Can Cover against Vehicle Theft
The good news in that the car insurance rate in New Jersey is lower than the national average, and in Middletown, the rate is even lower.
- National number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles in New Jersey: 2.17
- Number of thefts per 1,000 vehicles in Middletown: 0.80
While the risk of car theft in this township is low, you probably do not limit your driving to this area, so if your car is of significant value, it may behoove you to be sure it is covered against this risk. The only way you can be reimbursed for your loss following a car theft is if you have included comprehensive coverage as part of your car insurance policy. This optional other-than-collision coverage can also protect you against other property crimes like vandalism and arson.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Middletown Township?
Shopping for car insurance in Middletown can feel overwhelming. With dozens of providers competing for your business, it’s sometimes hard to determine which policy offers the best level of protection for your car at the most affordable rate. Independent insurance agents can help you navigate your coverage options and select an affordable plan for your vehicle.
If you’re ready to find a budget-friendly car insurance plan you can count on, contact an insurance agent near you to get started.