Best known for hosting the country’s largest annual motorcycle event, Sturgis is home to about 6,700 people. Residents enjoy access to beautiful parks and hiking trails, historical sites, and a low unemployment rate. If you bought a house in this community-oriented city, you will want to protect your investment with homeowners insurance.
When you are looking for the best insurance coverage for your house in Sturgis, a local independent insurance agent can help. Contact an insurance agent near you to start comparing customized home insurance quotes.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Sturgis, SD?
The good news is that the cost of home insurance in the state of South Dakota is lower than the national average. Rates in Sturgis tend to run slightly higher than the state average.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- South Dakota average yearly premium: $1,096
- Sturgis average yearly premium: $1,107
Your actual price for home insurance is likely to differ from the average rates listed above. This is because costs are calculated on a case-by-case basis according to several factors such as:
- The size of your home and the year it was built
- Whether the house you are insuring is your primary residence
- The crime rate and weather risks within your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- The amount of your deductible
- Whether you are bundling your home insurance coverage with other policies like car insurance or business insurance
Comparing rates lets you choose the homeowners insurance policy that offers the coverage you want at the lowest price. Independent insurance agents in Sturgis make comparison shopping easy.
Does Sturgis Homeowners Insurance Cover against Burglaries?
The burglary rate in South Dakota is lower than the national rate, and in Sturgis, it is even lower. That is not to say the risk does not exist. There are about 20 burglaries reported in this small city in a typical year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in South Dakota: 3.47
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Sturgis: 1.79
You can lower your chances of being targeted by a burglar by taking steps such as putting lights on timers while you are away, keeping entryways unobstructed, and securing your home with deadbolt locks. Home security systems are especially good theft deterrents. In fact, many insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who have installed them in their homes.
In the event that you are the victim of a burglary, your homeowners insurance can reimburse you for your loss and damage. Be sure to keep a copy of the police report because you will need it when you file a claim. Your independent insurance agent can offer support and guidance throughout the claims process if needed.
What Are the Risks Faced by Homeowners in Sturgis?
Your home insurance policy is designed to provide you with coverage against most of the risks you are likely to face as a homeowner in Sturgis. The biggest risks in this city are accidental fires, severe storms, hail, heavy snow and freezing temperatures. Fortunately, tornadoes are not a significant threat in this city. The risk is 59% lower than the national average.
Catastrophic Events in South Dakota
- Number of federally declared disasters in South Dakota: 65
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Severe Storms and Wildfires
- Average number of tornadoes per year in South Dakota: 32.6
- Average amount of property damage per year in SD: $93.3 million
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
Fortunately, most of the risks you face as a property owner in this city are covered by your homeowners insurance policy. One notable exception is flood damage.
If your home is located near Vanocker or Bear Butte Creek, rising waters during heavy rains or winter thaws can potentially lead to flood damage to your home. The only way to be covered against this risk is by supplementing your homeowners coverage with a flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). A local independent agent can help you secure an affordable policy.
Why Do Sturgis Homeowners Need Liability Insurance?
Liability lawsuits do not happen too often, but when they do, they can be financially devastating. Liability coverage is included in your homeowners insurance policy. It is designed to cover expenses such as court costs, legal fees, and damages if you are sued for a covered event.
Examples of times your homeowners liability insurance can provide you with coverage include:
- If a visitor is severely injured while on your property.
- If your child or pet causes significant injuries or property damage to someone outside your household.
- If you accidentally injure someone while away from home, such as while playing basketball with friends at the Sturgis Community Center.
- If you find yourself accused of libel or slander for something you posted online.
If you want to have more liability coverage than your home insurance can provide, an independent insurance agent can also help you purchase an affordable umbrella insurance policy. Talk to your insurance agent to learn more about your options when it comes to liability insurance coverage.
What about Insurance for Second Homes and Vacation Homes?
A house that is not your primary residence presents additional risk factors that insurance providers will take into consideration when calculating rates. In some cases, these extra properties may need to be covered by specialized insurance policies.
- Vacation homes that are frequently left empty for long periods have an increased risk of property damage and property crimes. These houses may need to be covered by vacant home insurance during the times that they are unoccupied.
- Second homes that serve as rental properties have higher liability risks but require less in the way of contents coverage. Landlord insurance provides the right balance of coverage for these types of properties and is typically required by your insurer when there are tenants occupying the property.
- If your additional property is located in a place that has a high risk of floods, earthquakes, or sinkholes, you will need to buy supplementary policies to cover against these hazards, since none are covered by home insurance.
An independent insurance agent can help you find the best and most affordable policies to appropriately cover all of your residential properties.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Sturgis, SD?
Independent insurance agents make it possible for you to quickly and easily find the best home insurance policy to cover your Sturgis home. These agents are free to work with several different insurance providers so they can shop around and make sure you are getting the coverage you need at the most competitive rate.
Contact an insurance agent in or near Sturgis to learn more. You can soon be comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes from an assortment of highly rated insurers.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.