The city of Huron is home to about 12,500 people. Every year, thousands flock to this small city to attend the South Dakota State Fair. With its affordable housing, low crime rate, and small-town feel, Huron is a great place to buy a home and put down roots. When you do, be sure to cover your property with a comprehensive homeowners insurance policy. Local independent insurance agents can help you obtain the best and most affordable coverage for your home. Contact an insurance agent in or near Huron to start comparing customized home insurance quotes.
Cost of Homeowners Insurance in Huron, SD
The average cost of homeowners insurance in this state is lower than the national average, and in Huron, with its abundance of affordable housing, the average is much lower.
- National average yearly premium: $1,211
- South Dakota average yearly premium: $1,180
- Huron average yearly premium: $729
Of course, you can expect your actual home insurance quotes to be different from the average Huron rate shown above. This is because insurance costs are calculated individually according to several different factors, including:
- The age, size, and value of your house
- Your claims history and credit score
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with other policies like car insurance or life insurance
Each insurance company has its own way of computing rates, so comparing a variety of quotes lets you choose the home insurance policy that offers the best value for your money. Independent insurance agents in Huron make comparison shopping easy.
Huron Homeowners Insurance Offers Coverage against Burglary
The burglary rate in South Dakota is lower than the national rate, and in Huron, the rate is even lower. This is not to say that the risk does not exist. This city averages about 40 burglaries a year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 3.76
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in South Dakota: 2.91
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Huron: 2.90
If your property is burglarized, your home insurance can reimburse you for your losses as well as for any damage the burglar may have caused. Your local insurance agent can help you be sure that your most valuable property is properly insured. Some homeowners need to purchase special endorsements or riders to cover things like collections or family heirlooms.
Keeping doors and windows securely locked, leaving lights and a radio on while you are away, and using motion-sensitive outdoor lighting can all reduce your chances of being targeted by a burglar. Home security systems are among the most effective theft deterrents. That is why many insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who have burglar alarms. Talk to an independent insurance agent to learn more about how home security efforts can earn you discounts on your homeowners insurance.
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Home Insurance Covers against Most Catastrophic Weather Events
Home insurance policies are designed to cover you against most of the hazards you are likely to face as a property owner. This includes everything from accidental fires to major weather events.
- Number of federally declared disasters in South Dakota: 83
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Severe Storms
- Average number of tornadoes per year in South Dakota: 36
- Average amount of property damage per year in SD: $93.3 million
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
Huron residents are most at risk for damage caused by hailstorms, heavy winds and severe storms. Tornadoes also pose a significant risk in this area. A few years back, two tornadoes touched down close to Huron, causing several million dollars’ worth of damages. Fortunately, home insurance provides coverage against these hazards. One thing it does not cover, however, is flood damage. In order to be covered against rising waters, you will need to supplement your home insurance with a flood insurance policy through the NFIP. Your local insurance agent can help you secure this important coverage.
Liability Insurance for Huron Homeowners
Liability lawsuits can be expensive enough to cause you to lose your home. That is why your homeowners insurance also provides personal liability coverage as a standard part of every policy. This insurance is designed to cover your court costs, legal defense fees, and damages if you are sued for a covered event. Some examples of times your homeowners liability coverage may be of use include:
- If a guest in your home is badly injured in an accident that can be attributed to the negligence of upkeep on your part
- If you cause accidental injuries to another while away from your home, such as while playing football in the park
- If your child or pet causes injuries or property damage to someone outside your household
- If you find yourself accused of libel or slander
If you want more liability coverage than your home insurance will provide, you can supplement your policy with umbrella insurance. This is a highly affordable way to boost all of your liability coverage. An independent insurance agent can help you acquire all the liability coverage you want at a price you can afford.
Second Home and Vacation Home Insurance
Maybe you have a vacation home along the Missouri River, or perhaps you have invested in a Huron duplex that you rent out to young families. Whatever their purpose, if you own more than one house, you will need to be sure that all of your properties are covered by appropriate home insurance policies. A house that does not serve as your primary residence often has additional risk factors that insurance companies will take into consideration. Such properties may, therefore, need specialized home insurance coverage.
- Vacation properties that are not used for several months out of the year have an increased risk of property damage. Your insurer may, therefore, require you to have vacant home insurance during the times your vacation house is unoccupied.
- Depending on where your vacation home is located, you may need to be sure that your policy covers against specific weather hazards like hurricanes or wildfires. You may also need a supplemental flood or earthquake insurance policy.
- Second homes that are occupied by renters have lower contents coverage needs, since your tenants will need to cover their own property. However, these houses have higher liability risks. These properties need to be covered by landlord insurance.
A local independent insurance agent can help you find appropriate policies to cover all of your residential properties.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Huron, SD?
The easiest way to find the best insurance for your Huron home is by working with a local independent agent. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so they are free to shop around to find you reliable coverage at affordable rates.
Find an independent insurance agent with an office near you to learn more. You can start comparing customized, competitively-priced Huron homeowners insurance quotes in no time.
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.