Brandon, SD Homeowners Insurance
Find the right homeowners insurance policy for you.
Home to about 9,000 people, Brandon is the largest suburb of Sioux Falls. The city of Brandon offers residents all the advantages of small-town living while still having all the convenience of a large city just a short drive away. If you are among the proud property owners in this South Dakota city, you will want to be sure you have a solid homeowners insurance policy.
Independent Insurance Agents can help you find the best and most affordable coverage for your house in Brandon. Find an insurance agent near you to learn more, and you can soon start comparing customized homeowners insurance quotes from a selection of reputable insurers.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Brandon, SD?
South Dakota has the 23rd highest cost for home insurance in the US. The average home insurance rate in this state is lower than the national rate, but in Brandon, costs tend to be a bit higher. Shopping around for coverage can help you find a great policy at an affordable price.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- South Dakota average yearly premium: $1,096
- Brandon average yearly premium: $1,205
The quotes you will be given by insurance companies are likely to differ from the average rate listed above because costs are calculated on a case-by-case basis according to a number of different factors. Home insurance costs can be influenced by:
- The size, age, and value of your house
- Whether the property you are insuring is your primary residence
- The type of home you are insuring (e.g., single-family detached, duplex, condo, manufactured home, etc.)
- The number of stories your home has and whether it includes a basement
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- Your claims history and credit score
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like car insurance, life insurance, or business insurance
Comparing quotes lets you choose the homeowners policy that offers the best value for the coverage you want. Independent insurance agents in Brandon make comparison shopping easy.
What Is the Burglary Rate in Brandon?
The burglary rate in South Dakota is much lower than the national average. And in Brandon, the rate is even lower. Residents of this city report only about 2 burglaries in a year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in South Dakota: 3.47
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Brandon: 0.40
While the risk in Brandon is low, it may be comforting to know that in the unlikely event that your home is burglarized, your homeowners insurance can reimburse you for the resultant loss and damage. Home insurance can also cover against other property crimes like vandalism and arson.
What Are the Risks in Brandon, SD?
Homeowners insurance is designed to cover you against many of the hazards you are likely to face as a property owner in Brandon. This includes everything from accidental kitchen fires to severe weather events like the extremely damaging F4 tornado that touched down about 20 miles from the Brandon city center in 1993.
Catastrophic Events in South Dakota
- Number of federally declared disasters in South Dakota: 59
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Severe Storms and Wildfires
- Average number of tornadoes per year in South Dakota: 32.6
- Average amount of property damage per year in SD: $93.3 million
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year.
Residents of Brandon are most at risk for damage caused by hail, severe storms, high winds, and floods. Although your homeowners insurance will cover most weather-related damage, it will not cover against floods. This puts many residents, particularly those whose homes are near the Big Sioux River and Split Rock Creek, at risk. Fortunately, your local insurance agent can help you supplement your home insurance coverage with an affordable flood insurance policy through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP).
Save on Home Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Why Do Brandon Homeowners Need Liability Coverage?
Home insurance policies also include coverage against liability risks. Homeowners liability insurance is designed to cover the various expenses (such as court costs, legal defense fees, and damages) that you may accrue if you are sued for a covered event. Some examples of situations in which this personal liability coverage can protect you include:
- A visitor in your home trips on a loose floorboard and suffers a serious injury that requires surgery.
- Your neighbor’s window is broken by a baseball while your children and their friends are playing a game in your backyard.
- Your dog gets loose and bites a passerby.
- You accidentally cause an injury to a friend while playing flag football in the park.
- Somebody sues you for libel or slander because of something you posted on Facebook.
If you want to have even higher liability limits than your homeowners insurance policy will allow, you can supplement your home coverage with a competitively priced umbrella insurance policy. Talk to your local insurance agent to learn more about your options when it comes to personal liability coverage.
What about Second Home and Vacation Home Insurance?
Maybe you own a winter vacation home in Florida. Or perhaps you own a condo in Sioux Falls that you rent to young couples. Whatever the reason, if you own more than one residence, you will need to cover all of your properties with appropriate insurance. When a home does not serve as your primary residence, it often has additional risks that insurance companies will take into consideration.
- Vacation homes are frequently left unoccupied for several months out of the year. These houses have an increased risk of property damage, and vacant home insurance may be required while the property is not in use.
- Vacation houses that are located in areas that have a high risk of floods, sinkholes, landslides, or earthquakes may need to have supplementary insurance because these hazards are not covered by home insurance.
- Second homes that are occupied by tenants have higher liability risks. However, they also have lower contents coverage needs (since your tenants will be expected to cover their own property with renters insurance). Landlord insurance is designed to meet the unique coverage needs these properties present, and may be required by your insurer.
An independent insurance agent can help you review the coverage needs of all your properties and can assist you with finding the best and most reasonably priced policies.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Brandon?
The easiest way to find a reliable, competitively priced homeowners insurance policy is by working with an independent insurance agent. These agents work for you, not for a specific insurance company, so you can be sure that you are getting trustworthy guidance as you shop for the coverage you need for your Brandon home. Independent agents in Brandon are ready to help.
Contact an insurance agent near you to start comparing customized home insurance quotes.
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.