The capital of South Dakota, Pierre, is home to approximately 14,000 people. This city offers its residents scenic views, ample food and shopping venues, and simple small-town living. If you own a house in this beautiful city, you will want to be sure to protect your investment with a suitable homeowners insurance policy. Local independent insurance agents can help you find the best and most affordable coverage for your home. Contact an insurance agent in or near Pierre to learn more.
How Much Does Homeowners Insurance Cost in Pierre, SD?
The average cost for homeowners insurance in this state is lower than the national average; but in Pierre, rates tend to run a little higher.
- National average yearly premium: $1,173
- South Dakota average yearly premium: $1,096
- Pierre average yearly premium: $1,189
Of course, your actual home insurance quotes will likely be different from the average Pierre rate listed above. This is because insurance costs are calculated on a case-by-case basis. They can vary according to several different factors, including such things as:
- The age, size, and value of your house
- The type of home you are insuring (e.g. single-family detached, multi-family dwelling, condo, mobile home, etc.)
- Your claims history and credit score
- The crime rate and weather risks in your ZIP code
- The age of your roof
- Whether you are bundling your coverage with another policy like car insurance or life insurance
Each insurance company has its own way of calculating rates, so by comparing a variety of quotes, you can choose the home insurance policy that offers the coverage you need at the best value. Independent insurance agents in Pierre make comparison shopping easy.
What Risks Do Homeowner Face in Pierre, SD?
Your home insurance policy is designed to cover you against most of the hazards you are likely to face as a property owner in Pierre. This includes everything from accidental fires to severe weather events.
Catastrophic Events in South Dakota
- Number of federally declared disasters in South Dakota: 65
- Most common reasons for disasters in the state: Severe storms and wildfires
- Average number of tornadoes per year in South Dakota: 32.6
- Average amount of property damage per year in SD: $93.3 million
- 1 in 15 insured homes has a claim each year
Pierre residents are most at risk for damages caused by hail, windstorms, blizzards, and freezing temperatures. The risk of tornadoes in Pierre is 48 percent lower than the national average. Though the risk is low, it still exists. For example, in 1993, an EF2 twister touched down less than half a mile from the Pierre city center and caused a great deal of property damage. Also, in 1973, this city sustained significant damage caused by an EF3 tornado. Fortunately, unless specifically excluded, tornado damage is covered by home insurance.
One thing that homeowners insurance does not cover, however, is flood damage. In Pierre, many residents are at risk when the Missouri River rises and overflows its banks. In order to be covered against this hazard, you will need to supplement your home insurance with a flood insurance policy through the NFIP. Your local insurance agent can help you purchase a policy.
How Does Liability Insurance Help Pierre Homeowners?
If you are hit with a liability lawsuit, the damages can be expensive enough to cause you to lose your home. That is why your homeowners insurance provides you with personal liability coverage as a standard part of your policy. This insurance is designed to cover the court costs, legal defense fees, and damages if you are sued for a covered event. Some examples of times your homeowners liability coverage may be of use include:
- If a visitor is badly injured in an accident in your home
- If you cause accidental injuries to someone outside of your household while you are away from home, such as while playing tennis in LaBarge Park
- If your child or pet causes third-party injuries or property damage
- If you are accused of libel or slander due to something you posted on social media
If you want to have more liability coverage than your home insurance will allow, you can supplement your policy with umbrella insurance. An independent insurance agent can help you get all the liability coverage you want at a price you can afford.
Does Pierre Homeowners Insurance Cover Burglary?
The burglary rate in South Dakota is lower than the national rate, but in Pierre, the rate is significantly higher. Residents of this city report an average of 65 burglaries a year.
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in the US: 4.69
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in South Dakota: 3.47
- Number of burglaries per 1,000 homes in Pierre: 6.04
If your house is burglarized, your homeowners insurance can reimburse you for your losses as well as for any damage the burglar may have caused. Your insurance agent can help you be sure that your most valuable property is properly insured. Home security systems are among the most effective theft deterrents. That is why many insurance companies offer discounts to policyholders who have them in their homes. Talk to an independent insurance agent to learn more about how installing a home security system can earn you discounts on your homeowners insurance.
What about Second Home and Vacation Home Insurance?
Maybe you have a vacation home that you use in the summer, or perhaps you have invested in a duplex that you rent out to young professionals. Whatever their purpose, if you own more than one house, you will need to be sure that all of your properties are covered by appropriate home insurance policies. A house that does not serve as your primary residence will frequently have additional risk factors that insurance companies will take into consideration. These properties may, therefore, need to have specialized home insurance coverage. For example:
- Vacation houses that are not used for several months out of the year have an increased risk of property damage. Your insurer may, therefore, require you to have vacant home insurance during the times that the property is unoccupied.
- Second homes that are occupied by renters have lower contents coverage needs since your tenants will need to cover their own property. However, these houses have higher liability risks. Landlord insurance is designed to provide the right balance of coverage, and it is often required by insurance companies if you have tenants in your home.
A local independent insurance agent can help you find appropriate policies to cover all of your residential properties.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Pierre, SD?
The easiest way to find the best homeowners insurance for your house in Pierre is by working a local independent agent. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so they can shop around to find you reliable coverage at an affordable rate.
Find an insurance agent with an office near you to learn more. You will soon discover how easy it can be to compare customized, competitively priced Pierre homeowners insurance quotes.
©2020, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.