Out in the country, a car is an absolute necessity. There is plenty of fresh air and wholesome living in bluegrass country, but you really need a car to get around Mount Olivet, KY just for everyday life. Under Kentucky law, that means that you need to have car insurance. In order to find the car insurance that fits your car and your lifestyle at a cost you can afford, talk to your Independent Insurance Agent today. They can help you navigate the wide range of options and requirements to find the policy that fits your needs the best. Car insurance is a bit more expensive in Kentucky than the national average. The statistics are as follows:
- Across the U.S., car insurance averaged $1,311 in recent years.
- In Kentucky, it averaged $1,341.
- There were $3.7 billion in losses that year.
The primary reason why car insurance is expensive is a high rate of uninsured drivers. You need to understand what you can do to protect your car before you choose the right insurance for your situation. Saving on car insurance may be appealing, but if it leaves you stuck, you may regret it later.
Use our independent agent matching system to find the best insurance plan in your area. You tell us what you’re looking for, and our technology will recommend the best agents for you. Any information you provide will be sent to only the agents you pick. We do not sell to third parties.
Kentucky Car Insurance Requirements
State law mandates that you have basic liability coverage. You may want more protection from liability and loss than that, however, based on your situation. Your legal requirements and options for car insurance include the following:
- Bodily Injury Liability: This is required, with a minimum of $25,000 per person covered and a minimum of $50,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability: This is also required, with a minimum of $10,000 for any property (primarily other cars) damaged in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection: This is also required, with a minimum of $10,000 for every motorist.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: This is not required in Kentucky, but you may want it in case you are hit by someone who has no insurance.
- Comprehensive: This is not required. This is coverage that includes all of the above plus many additional features, including coverage of any damage to the car for any reason.
Above and beyond these requirements, you can choose to have comprehensive coverage on your vehicle. This is coverage for any ding or nick whether it is caused by an accident, vandalism or theft. You can also have it pay for a rental car while yours is in the shop and have a tow truck pick you up by the side of the road. Comprehensive coverage is the best way to keep your car looking great, no matter what, and keep you on the road.
Number of Uninsured Drivers in Kentucky
Though it is not required, uninsured motorist coverage is a good idea in Mount Olivet. The statistics from recent years show that Kentucky has a high rate of uninsured drivers on the roads:
- Nationally, 12.6% of all drivers are uninsured.
- In Kentucky, 15.8% of all drivers have no insurance.
In case of an accident, this pays you if the other driver does not have insurance, no matter what happens to you. Without this coverage, you could have to pay for an accident that is not your fault. Many drivers in Kentucky take this coverage because, with nearly one in six drivers out there not covered, it is very important.
Number of Auto Thefts in Kentucky
The Bluegrass State has a relatively low rate of car theft compared with other states. You can see the difference:
- Across the U.S., 2.94 out of every 1,000 cars are stolen each year.
- In Kentucky, the rate was 1.87 out of every 1,000 cars.
If you do not have a comprehensive policy, the risk of your car being stolen is entirely on you. This may be important even with a low rate of auto theft. There are many things you can do to reduce the risk of auto theft, but the most important is to have a secure garage or other place to park your car at night. It’s also important to use the alarm that comes on nearly every car today. The right policy for you isn’t always the cheapest, so it is important to shop around to different companies to find the one that works best with your lifestyle.
Find a Great Mount Olivet Car Insurance Policy
Your car insurance policy has to fit your car, your lifestyle, and your budget. With all of the choices that go into this, along with state requirements, the best thing you can do is to talk to your Independent Agent. Your agent will find the best policy for your needs and get you multiple quotes so that you can compare them and choose the most affordable coverage for yourself.