Life at the gateway to the Cumberland Mountains has a lot to offer to anyone seeking a better connection with nature and seeking a slower pace. But to enjoy this life, you still need to get around. To enjoy the country life to its fullest, you need a car, and under state law, that means that to drive in Williamsburg, KY, you must have auto insurance.
A quote from your Independent Insurance Agent is important in getting the best deal you can for car insurance. It's not only required by state law, but also it protects you from other drivers to whatever limits you need. It can be expensive, however, if you don’t get just what you need at the lowest possible price. Car insurance premiums around the nation are priced based on several factors:
- Your coverage and deductibles - This is the amount of coverage you have for any claim.
- Your vehicle - A more expensive car to repair costs more to insure.
- The number of miles you drive - Insurers usually take your word for it.
- Your ZIP code - How much vandalism has there been in your neighborhood?
- Your age, sex, and marital status - Single males under 25 are paying the highest premiums.
- Your driving record - Are you accident and ticket free?
- Your credit history - A credit risk is considered to be an insurance risk.
Kentuckians spend an average of $1,341 per year on car insurance premiums, very similar to the nationwide average of $1,311.
Kentucky Car Insurance Requirements
You have many options with car insurance, and you can select the coverage you need in order to protect yourself from loss and lawsuits. Minimum protection with insurance is required by state law for every vehicle, however. Coverage you may select includes the following:
- Bodily Injury Liability: This is required, with a minimum of $25,000 per person covered and a minimum of $50,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability: This is required, with a minimum of $10,000 for any property (primarily other cars) damaged in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection: This is required, with a minimum of $10,000 for every motorist.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: This is not required in Kentucky, but you may want it in case you are hit by someone who has no insurance.
- Comprehensive: This includes all of the above plus many additional features, including coverage of any damage to the car for any reason.
The cost of an accident that injures someone else may be very expensive, and the state minimums are not very high. That’s why additional coverage may be important. You may be responsible for any costs above your coverage if you are found responsible for an accident in a court of law.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Kentucky
If you are in an accident, there’s a good chance that the other driver is not insured – 12.6 percent of all drivers or one in eight are uninsured on average in the U.S. It’s a bit higher in Kentucky, with 15.8 percent of all drivers not carrying the insurance required by law. Uninsured motorist coverage is usually affordable and very helpful if you need it. That’s especially true if you have a new car and select comprehensive coverage. It doesn’t cost much more and can save you quite a lot if you are in an accident with someone who is not covered. With nearly 1 in 6 drivers uninsured, it’s a good idea to protect yourself.
Number of Auto Thefts in Kentucky
Nationally there are 2.94 thefts per 1,000 cars every year. Auto theft is relatively rarer in Kentucky, with only 1.87 thefts per 1,000 cars. Despite the low rates of car theft, you can take steps to protect yourself. It’s important to always park someplace that has a lot of people around at all times and is well lit to prevent theft. Most cars come with alarms today, so if you are worried, make use of it.
Find a Great Williamsburg Car Insurance Policy
Talk to an Independent Insurance Agent. Your agent can help you assess your needs based on what you can afford and what you drive. By having the best quotes that fit your needs, you can save a lot of money in the long run – both every time you pay the premium and any time the worst should happen to you.
Contact your agent today and get the right quotes for yourself.