Central Michigan is a beautiful and quiet place. Okemos and Meridian Township are some of the most desirable parts of it, with their handy access to the state capital and Michigan State. The Lansing area is a growing and bustling part of the state, but out in Okemos, MI, you can enjoy the best of the country life, too.
To take advantage of everything the area has to offer you need a car – and that means you need car insurance. The best way to find the Okemos car insurance which fits your needs is to talk to an Independent Insurance Agent. To serve you best, our agents shop around many different agencies and get many quotes so that you can compare and find the most affordable insurance to fit your lifestyle. It is very expensive to buy car insurance in Michigan. The figures from recent years tell the tale:
- Across the U.S., car insurance cost $1,311 on average.
- In Michigan, the average was a stunning $2,476.
- This ranks the state number 1, the highest in the nation.
- There were $12.8 billion in losses that year.
Two things drive the cost of car insurance up in Michigan – uninsured drivers and car theft. These are both lower in Okemos than they are in the big city of Detroit, so your rate should be lower. But there are still important things to consider, especially if your travels take you to Motown on a regular basis.
Michigan Car Insurance Requirements
Michigan law mandates that every driver have liability insurance. You may want more than that, however; and you do have many options. Starting with the state requirements these are the options:
- Bodily Injury Liability: This is required, with a minimum of $20,000 per person covered and a minimum $40,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability: This is also required, with a minimum of $10,000 for any property (primarily other cars) damaged in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection: This is not required, but you may choose to cover any injuries to yourself.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: This is not required in Michigan but important for reasons discussed below.
- Comprehensive: This is not required. This is a policy that includes all of the above plus many additional features, including coverage of any damage to the car for any reason.
The required minimums may not be enough for you if you really depend on your car – and especially if you want to keep it looking great all the time. Comprehensive coverage takes care of everything for you, regardless of whether the damage came from an accident, theft or vandalism. You can even choose to be covered for a rental car when yours is in the shop. It’s best to know all your options before comparing the coverages and making your choice.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Michigan
Despite the state law requiring insurance, Michigan has a very high rate of drivers who don’t have any:
- Nationally, 12.6% of all drivers are uninsured.
- In Michigan, 21.0% of all drivers have no insurance.
With a one in five chance of being in an accident with a driver who has no insurance, you need to be protected. Uninsured motorist insurance pays off to you directly and takes care of suing the driver who is responsible for an accident. Without this coverage, you have to handle all of this yourself, which is a daunting prospect. It’s worth considering uninsured motorist coverage in Okemos, especially if you drive in to Detroit often.
Number of Auto Thefts in Michigan
The other reason car insurance is so expensive in Michigan is the large number of cars stolen every year:
- Nationally, 2.94 out of every 1,000 cars are stolen each year.
- In Michigan, thieves target 3.33 out of every 1,000 cars.
There are many things you can do to not only protect your car from theft but also to keep your car insurance cost lower. For example, if you have only on-street parking, you may have a higher rate, so a garage will keep your car safe and lower your insurance cost. It’s also important to have a car with an alarm in it for the same reasons.
Find a Great Okemos Car Insurance Policy
You need a car to enjoy the good life out in the country around Okemos. Whether you select full comprehensive coverage or the minimum liability, it’s important to have a policy that fits your lifestyle and your budget. Talk to an Independent Agent today for the information you need to find the best coverage for your car and lifestyle at the best price possible. Your agent can help you understand your options and get you quotes from a lot of different agencies to find the best insurance for you at the most affordable price possible.