The NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) recorded 279,000 motorcycles registered in the state of Michigan. In the same year there were 82,000 injuries involving motorcycle riders in the U.S. Motorcycles continue to increase in size and horsepower, and highways continue to become more congested. Before enjoying your motorcycle, it is important that you are protected against accidents and injuries.
Michigan law requires that you carry minimum liability limits of $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident, as well as $10,000 in property damage coverage. These are minimum limits and there are many more factors you should consider before getting on the road. An independent Trusted Choice® member agent will be able to help you choose the motorcycle policy that is right for you. Contact an agent today to get started comparing Michigan motorcycle insurance quotes.
Motorcycle Insurance Facts
The Center for Disease Control advises that:
- Between 2001 and 2008, more than 34,000 motorcyclists were killed and an estimated 1,222,000 persons were treated for non-fatal, motorcycle-related injuries.
- Motorcyclist death rates increased 55% from 2001 to 2008 (1.12 per 100,000 persons in 2001 to 1.74 per 100,000 persons in 2008).
- The number of non-fatal motorcyclist injuries that were treated in emergency rooms also increased, from nearly 120,000 injuries in 2001 to about 175,000 in 2008.
Who Should Carry Michigan Motorcycle Insurance?
The law requires that you carry minimum liability limits for your bike, but in order to be adequately protected you need to consider many other factors. It doesn’t matter whether you ride a chopper, a dirt bike or a sport bike, in any case, you need to protect yourself and other parties against the risk of accident or injury.
Michigan has many miles of open road with beautiful scenery and any number of recreational opportunities. You may be anxious to hit the road, but before you do, contact a member agent of the Trusted Choice network to compare Michigan motorcycle insurance quotes.
Benefits of Michigan Motorcycle Insurance
No matter how skilled a driver you are and no matter how careful you are, there is always the risk of being involved in an accident. Many motorcycle accidents occur because another driver simply does not see the motorcyclist. Once in an accident situation, the risk of serious injury or death is much higher with a motorcycle than with an automobile. With a properly written Michigan motorcycle policy, you at least have the security of adequate protection against damage to your bike and injury to yourself, a passenger or others.
What Does Michigan Motorcycle Insurance Cover?
- Liability coverage: This coverage protects you up to the limits of your policy against large claims for bodily injury or property damage for which you may be legally liable. Your policy will also provide defense coverage if you are sued.
- Collision coverage: This is designed to provide compensation for damages to your motorcycle resulting from collision with another vehicle or object.
- Comprehensive coverage: This is “other than collision” coverage that can cover such things as weather damage, vandalism and theft.
- Uninsured/underinsured coverage: This will cover your costs if you are injured by another driver who is uninsured or does not carry adequate limits.
- Medical payments: This covers medical costs for you or a passenger injured while using your motorcycle, regardless of fault.
How to Compare Michigan Motorcycle Insurance Quotes
Getting the right insurance coverage is very important. Quotes can be complicated and hard to compare. An independent agent in the Trusted Choice network can help identify your risks and ensure that you are adequately covered. Your agent can also help you compare multiple quotes from several different insurance companies to find the deal that's best for you.
Contact a local member agent today to find the Michigan motorcycle insurance tailored to your needs.