Michigan is home to many scenic roadways. Some, like Tunnel of Trees Road, which follows the Lake Michigan shoreline, are favored by motorcycle enthusiasts across the country. If you are among the many riders in this state, you will need to cover your bike with motorcycle insurance.
When you are looking for the best and most affordable motorcycle policy, an independent insurance agent can help. These local agents can help you obtain and compare quotes from some of the areas leading insurance providers. Contact an insurance agent near you to get started.
How Much Does Motorcycle Insurance Cost in Michigan?
The average cost of motorcycle insurance in Michigan is $1,083 a year, making this the third most expensive state for motorcycle insurance in the nation.
Here are factors that insurance companies will take into consideration when pricing your policy.
- The make, model, age, and value of the bike you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, riding experience, and traffic citation history
- The estimated number of miles you ride per year
- Your claims history
- The size of your deductible
Taking the time to compare rates from a few competing insurance providers could potentially save you hundreds of dollars a year. Independent agents make comparison shopping easy.
Is Coverage Required for Motorcyclists in Michigan?
As with car insurance, motorcycle insurance is required in Michigan. In this state, you must carry liability insurance to cover any property damage or injuries you may cause to others if you are responsible for a motorcycle accident.
Your policy must meet or exceed the following coverage amounts.
- Bodily injury liability coverage
- $50,000 per person
- $100,00 per accident
- Property damage liability coverage
- $10,000 per accident
All other coverage is optional.
What Else Can Motorcycle Insurance Cover?
In addition to the mandatory liability coverage mentioned above, you will have several coverage options to choose from. Most insurance companies will offer the following.
- Medical benefits coverage: This can cover medical bills for you and your passengers if you are injured in an accident, regardless of fault. In Michigan, you must carry at least $20,000 worth of medical coverage to legally ride without a helmet.
- Collision coverage: This can cover the cost to repair or replace your motorcycle if it is damaged in a collision, regardless of fault. You can purchase actual-value or replacement-value coverage to compensate you in the event of a total loss.
- Comprehensive coverage: This can cover the cost to repair or replace your motorcycle if it is damaged in a non-collision event such as a flood or a garage fire. It can also compensate you for your loss if your bike is stolen.
- Custom parts and equipment coverage: If you have added any customized accessories or equipment to your motorcycle, this coverage can increase the bike’s assessed value if it is deemed a total loss due to a covered event.
- Uninsured motorist coverage: If an uninsured driver hits your bike while you are out on the road, this can cover your medical treatments and property damage without the need for you to go through lengthy legal channels to get the money owed to you.
- Towing and roadside assistance coverage: This can cover the cost of assistance if your motorcycle becomes disabled while out on the road.
By reviewing the details and costs of each of your various options, you can make an informed decision about which are a good fit for you.
Better Motorcycle Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Is There Any Way to Reduce Motorcycle Insurance Premiums?
Many motorcycle insurance providers in Michigan offer their policyholders discounts and incentives. Here are examples of some things that may lower your insurance costs.
- Passing a motorcycle safety course
- Being a member of a qualifying organization or riding association
- Owning your home
- Paying your annual premium in full
- Bundling your motorcycle insurance with other policies like home insurance, renters insurance, or car insurance
A good insurance agent can help you take advantage of all the discount opportunities for which you may qualify.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent?
Independent insurance agents provide professional, personalized service. Because they are not tied to a particular insurance provider, these agents are free to shop around to find you the coverage you want at the most competitive price.
There are nearly 900 independent agents with offices in Michigan. Arrange an obligation-free consultation with an insurance agent near you to learn more and to start comparing customized motorcycle insurance quotes.
©2022, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.