Ashland Car Insurance
Don't pay more than you have to for this mandatory coverage.
Vehicle owners in Ashland are required to have car insurance. Whether you are in a fender bender on Union Street or a serious collision on the Massachusetts Turnpike, a solid auto insurance policy can shield you from facing large financial losses as a result.
Finding the best and most affordable car insurance is easy when you work with a local independent insurance agent. These agents can help you obtain and compare customized car insurance quotes from a variety of the area’s best insurers. Contact an insurance agent near you to get started.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Ashland, MA?
The average cost of car insurance in Massachusetts is higher than the national average. Comparing rates from a few competing insurance companies lets you choose the policy that is offered at the best price.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Massachusetts average annual car insurance cost: $1,460
Car insurance costs can vary significantly from one driver to the next because they are based on several factors. Your costs can be affected by things like the following.
- The make, model, and year of the vehicle(s) you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, marital status, and driving record
- Information about the other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- Your claims history and credit score
- The amount of coverage you are purchasing
- The size of your deductible
You can usually get significant rate reductions if you bundle your car insurance with other policies like homeowners insurance or renters insurance. Many insurance companies also offer other money saving benefits like good student discounts and safe driver discounts.
What Are the Minimum Car Insurance Requirements for Drivers in Ashland?
In Massachusetts, all car insurance policies are required by law to include the following.
- Liability insurance: This covers other people’s medical bills and property damage if you cause a collision. Your policy must include, at a minimum:
- Bodily injury liability insurance: $20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident
- Property damage liability insurance: $5,000 per accident
- Personal injury protection (PIP) insurance: This covers medical bills for you and your family if you are injured in an accident, regardless of fault. Your policy must include a minimum of $8,000 worth of coverage.
- Uninsured motorist insurance: This can cover medical bills that exceed your PIP coverage if you are in an accident caused by an uninsured or underinsured driver. Your policy must include, at a minimum, bodily injury coverage of at least $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident.
While a minimum coverage policy may be your least expensive option, it is not always the best choice. If you accidentally cause an accident that involves several vehicles or in which people are seriously injured, your costs can easily exceed what a minimum coverage policy can cover.
That is why many Ashland drivers choose to purchase car insurance that has higher-than-required liability limits. Some residents of this city also purchase umbrella insurance in order to get even more liability coverage than their auto insurance policy can provide.
What Else Can Ashland Car Insurance Cover?
In addition to the mandatory liability coverage mentioned above, your car insurance provider will also offer a variety of coverage options that you may want to include in your Ashland auto insurance policy, such as the following.
- Comprehensive and collision insurance: These options cover loss or damage to your own vehicle. The policies are typically required by lenders if you are still paying for your car and by dealerships if you are leasing it.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is lost, totaled, or damaged by a non-collision, such as if it is hit by a falling object or is washed away in a flood.
- Collision insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled in a collision, regardless of fault.
- Towing and roadside assistance: This covers the costs of assistance if your car becomes disabled while you are on the road, such as if you get a flat tire or run out of gas.
- Gap insurance: This is designed to cover the gap between what your car is worth and what you still owe for it if it is totaled in a covered event. New cars depreciate quickly, so this coverage is usually recommended during few years of new car ownership.
- Rental car reimbursement: This covers the cost of renting a vehicle while your car is being repaired following a covered event.
You will want to be sure to consider your own needs as well as those of the members of your household when you are deciding which, if any, coverage options you want to include in your policy.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Ashland?
It is illegal to drive without insurance in Massachusetts. If caught doing so, you will be charged with a civil motor vehicle infraction (CMVI) and may face the following penalties.
- A fine ranging from $500 to $5,000
- The loss of your driver’s license for 60 days to one year
- A fee of $500 to be paid to the state’s assigned risk plan (MAIP)
- Incarceration for up to one year if you are a repeat offender
- Higher car insurance rates
Due in large part to these harsh penalties, this state has one of the lowest rates of uninsured drivers in the country.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13.0%
- Percentage of Massachusetts drivers who are uninsured: 6.2%
Because Massachusetts requires all drivers to carry uninsured motorist insurance, you can rest assured that if you are injured in a collision caused by an uninsured driver, you will you receive timely compensation for medical bills that exceed the limits of your PIP coverage.
Does Ashland Car Insurance Cover against Auto Theft?
The average auto theft rate in the state of Massachusetts is lower than the national average. In Ashland, the rate is even lower. This is not to say the risk does not exist. Residents of this small town reported 8 stolen cars in 2019.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.29
- Massachusetts auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.96
- Ashland auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.45
Although the risk is low, you should be aware that you can only be compensated for a stolen vehicle if your car insurance policy includes comprehensive (or “other than collision”) coverage.
If you are still paying for your car or if you have it on a lease, chances are good you have this coverage already. If not, you may want to look into how much it will cost to add comprehensive coverage to your Ashland car insurance policy.
Why Let an Independent Insurance Agent in Ashland Help You?
When you are looking for the best and most affordable car insurance policy for you and your family, an independent agent can help. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so they can shop around to find the coverage you want at a reasonable price.
It doesn’t cost anything to work with a local independent agent. Find an insurance agent near you to get answers to your coverage-related questions and to start comparing customized car insurance quotes.
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.