With good access to both the rural Michigan countryside and the hustling cities and suburbs of Detroit, Brighton, MI is a place apart. With so many amenities to choose from, it is a great place to live in. But to get around and enjoy them means you simply have to have a car, which means you also have to insure a car. The best Brighton auto insurance policy for you is based on many things, including state requirements, your lifestyle and your car. In order to navigate all the options to find the best policy for yourself, talk to your Independent Insurance Agent. Your agent will get you multiple quotes so that you can compare to find the best policy for your needs at a price you can afford.
For some very good reasons, Michigan has the most expensive car insurance in the nation. The U.S. average for car insurance was $1,311 in recent years, but in Michigan, it was $2,476 in those same years. The state saw $12.8 billion in losses on the roads that year. Your car insurance is based on factors from your life, however. The more familiar you are with them the more you can take steps on your own to keep your car insurance affordable. The factors are the following:
- Your coverage and deductibles: This is your coverage level for any claim.
- The vehicle you drive: A car more expensive to repair costs more to insure.
- Your driving habits: How often and how far you drive are important. Insurers usually take your word for it.
- Your ZIP code: The incidence of vandalism in your neighborhood affects your insurance cost.
- Your driving record: Accidents and tickets also affect your cost.
- Your credit history: A credit risk is considered to be an insurance risk.
- Your age, sex, and marital status: Single males under 25 are the highest risk.
Different insurance companies stress different aspects of your life when giving you a quote, so shopping around for the insurance that fits your car and your life is critical.
Michigan Car Insurance Requirements
State law has certain minimum insurance requirements for every driver. The options you can select, starting with these requirements, include the following:
- Bodily Injury Liability: This is required, with a minimum of $20,000 per person covered and a minimum of $40,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability: This is also required, with a minimum of $10,000 for any property (primarily other cars) damaged in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection: This is not required, but you may select to cover any injuries to yourself.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: This is not required in Michigan, but it is important for reasons discussed below.
- Comprehensive: This is not required. This is a policy that includes all of the above options plus many additional features, including coverage for any damage to the car for any reason.
Above and beyond the demands of state law, you can also elect to have what is called a comprehensive policy. This covers any damage to your car for any reason, including theft, storms, and vandalism. Many policies will even include a rental when your car is in the shop so that you can always get around. It’s important to select the right policy for your lifestyle and not simply opt for the lowest price.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Michigan
State law does not require you to carry uninsured motorist coverage, but it is something you should consider. Michigan has a very high rate of uninsured drivers, as shown in these data from recent years:
- Across the U.S., 12.6% of all drivers are uninsured.
- In Michigan 21.0% of all drivers have no insurance.
This is one of the main reasons why car insurance is so expensive in Michigan, and why many drivers opt for uninsured motorist coverage. This pays out quickly in the event you are in an accident with a driver who does not have insurance, thus avoiding long hassles with lawyers and the courts. If you are injured in an accident with an uninsured driver, the potential cost to you is much more than the value of your car – medical bills can be nearly unlimited. Uninsured motorist coverage is definitely worth considering in Brighton.
Number of Auto Thefts in Michigan
The other reason why car insurance is so expensive in Michigan is the high rate of car theft as shown here in recent data:
- Nationally, 2.94 out of every 1,000 cars are stolen every year.
- In Michigan, 1.33 out of every 1,000 cars are stolen.
Some makes and models are more heavily targeted by thieves because they are easier to steal and easier to sell when “hot.” In addition, there is a larger market for their parts. If you are contemplating buying a new car, you may want to check to see if it falls into this category, making it more expensive to insure. No matter what, there are many things you can do to minimize your auto theft risk and keep your insurance claims down so that you maintain the lowest cost for your car insurance.
Find a Great Brighton Car Insurance Policy
With so many options, finding the best car insurance for your needs can be daunting. Make an appointment with your Independent Agent today to understand the options for your vehicle and lifestyle so that you can get the quote that fits your needs and your budget the best.