Hingham Car Insurance
(There is no reason to overpay for your car insurance.)
Even the most experienced drivers can sometimes get into accidents. That is why vehicle owners in Hingham are required to have car insurance. From fender benders on Main Street to serious collisions on Pilgrims Highway, a reliable auto insurance policy can save you from large financial losses.
Shopping for car insurance is easy when you work with an independent insurance agent in Hingham. These agents can help you find a reliable policy at a great price. Contact an insurance agent in Hingham to start comparing a selection of customized car insurance quotes.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Hingham, MA?
The average cost of car insurance in Massachusetts is higher than the national average. Shopping around for the best rate can potentially save you hundreds of dollars a year.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Massachusetts average annual car insurance cost: $1,460
Of course, these average rates can only give you a general idea of what you might actually be expected to pay. Car insurance costs vary from one driver to the next because they are based on several different factors. When calculating your rate, insurance companies will take into account such things as:
- The make, model, and year of every vehicle you are insuring
- Your age, occupation, marital status, and driving record
- Your claims history and credit score
- Details about the other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of coverage you are purchasing
- The amount of your deductible
When it comes to car insurance, experience matters. You can expect a 45-year-old data analyst with a clean driving record to pay much lower rates than a student at Hingham High School.
You can often get rate reductions if you bundle your car insurance with other policies like home insurance or renters insurance. Contact an independent agent in Hingham to learn more about potential discounts and to easily review customized quotes from a variety of highly-rated insurers.
What Are the Minimum Car Insurance Requirements in Massachusetts?
Every state has its own auto insurance coverage requirements. In Massachusetts, all car insurance policies must include personal injury protection (PIP) insurance, liability insurance, and uninsured motorist insurance.
Massachusetts is a no-fault state, so PIP insurance offers a first line of defense for medical bills related to accidents, regardless of fault. Liability insurance provides coverage if you cause an accident that leads to third-party damage and/or injuries that go beyond what the other person’s PIP can cover.
Massachusetts requires your car insurance to include, at a minimum:
- bodily injury liability insurance: $20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident
- property damage liability insurance: $5,000 per accident
- uninsured motorist insurance: $20,000 per person/$40,000 per accident
- personal injury protection (PIP) insurance: $8,000 per accident
A lot of Hingham drivers have a lot to lose. That is why many opt to purchase car insurance that has higher-than-required liability limits. Some residents of this city also purchase umbrella insurance in order to get even more liability coverage than their policy will allow.
Your local insurance agent can help you find the liability and personal injury protection coverage you want at the price you can afford.
What Else Can Hingham Car Insurance Cover?
In addition to the mandatory coverage, you also have a number of other coverage options available to you. Your auto insurance company will offer the following:
- Collision insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if is it damaged or totaled in a collision, even if the accident was your fault. This coverage is typically required by lenders if you are still paying for your vehicle and by dealerships if you are leasing it.
- Comprehensive insurance: This covers the cost to repair or replace your vehicle if it is damaged or totaled due to a non-collision event like a fallen tree. This coverage is also typically required by lenders if you are still paying for your vehicle and by dealerships if you are leasing it.
- Roadside assistance and towing: This covers the costs of assistance if your car becomes disabled while you are away from home, such as if you get a flat tire or run out of gas.
- Gap insurance: This covers the gap between what your car is worth and what you currently owe for it in the event that it is totaled. New cars depreciate quickly, so this coverage may be necessary for the first year or so of ownership.
- Rental car reimbursement: This covers the cost of renting a vehicle while your car is being repaired following a covered event.
Talk to your local insurance agent for help determining which, if any, of these coverage options is a good fit for you.
Save on Car Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
What Is the Penalty for Driving an Uninsured Vehicle in Hingham?
Driving without insurance in Massachusetts is illegal, and when it comes to enforcement, this state has some of the toughest penalties in the country. If you are caught, you can face:
- A fine ranging from $500 to $5,000
- Jail time for up to one year
- The suspension of your driver’s license for 60 days to one year
- A fee of $500 to be paid to the state’s assigned risk plan (MAIP)
These harsh consequences may explain why this state has one of the lowest rates of uninsured drivers in the country.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 12.6%
- Percentage of Massachusetts drivers who are uninsured: 6.2%
If you are in a collision that is caused by an uninsured driver, that person is responsible for paying for any resultant damage and necessary medical treatment that go above what your PIP insurance covers. However, this money is often difficult to collect.
Uninsured motorist insurance was created to ensure that you can receive timely compensation without the need to take legal action against the at-fault driver. Afterward, your insurance company will attempt to collect the money owed from the at-fault driver, and will absorb the costs if unsuccessful.
Uninsured motorist insurance is optional in many states but is required in Massachusetts.
Does Hingham Car Insurance Cover against Auto Theft?
The auto theft rate in Massachusetts is lower than the national rate. And in Hingham, the rate is even lower. This is not to say that the risk does not exist. Residents of this city report about 7 vehicle thefts a year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.94
- Massachusetts auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 1.18
- Hingham auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.40
Even though the risk of auto theft here is low, it is important to be aware that you can only get compensation for a stolen vehicle if your car insurance policy includes comprehensive (or “other than collision”) coverage.
Comprehensive insurance covers more than just auto thefts. It can also reimburse you for repair costs if your car is damaged in another non-collision event like a flood, garage fire, or hailstorm.
Talk to an independent insurance agent to find out how much it will cost you to include comprehensive coverage in your Hingham car insurance policy.
Why Let an Independent Insurance Agent in Hingham Help You?
You can ask a local independent insurance agent for assistance when you are looking for the best auto insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. These agents work for you, not for a particular insurance company, so they can shop around to find you the coverage you want at a price you can afford.
Find an insurance agent in Hingham to get answers to your insurance-related questions and to start comparing customized car insurance quotes.
©2023, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.