Accidents can happen anytime, anywhere and to anyone, especially in the winter when road conditions can be hazardous. That is why car insurance is so important. From fender benders to serious collisions, a solid car insurance policy can prevent you from facing large financial losses as a result.
Independent insurance agents make it easy to find the best auto insurance policy to meet your coverage and budgetary needs. Find an insurance agent in Winthrop to learn more. You can start comparing customized car insurance quotes in no time.
How Much Does Car Insurance Cost in Winthrop, MA?
The average cost of car insurance in Massachusetts is higher than the national average. Fortunately, by taking the time to shop around and compare rates, you can potentially save hundreds of dollars a year.
- National average annual car insurance cost: $1,311
- Massachusetts average annual car insurance cost: $1,460
The quotes you get from insurance companies will differ, not just from the average rate listed above, but from each other. This is because each insurance company has its own way of computing rates. Your quoted costs will be based on a number of factors such as:
- The make, model, and year of every vehicle you are insuring
- Your age, gender, occupation, and marital status
- Your driving record and credit score
- Information about other licensed drivers in your household
- Whether you own or rent your home
- The amount of liability insurance you are purchasing
- The coverage options you are including in your policy
- The size of your deductible
If you are bundling your car insurance with other coverage like home insurance or renters insurance, you can often qualify for significant discounts on each of your policies. You may also be entitled to other potential discounts such as if you have a safe driving record or are a student with good grades.
Let a local independent insurance agent help you compare prices and find all the discounts for which you qualify so that you can get all the coverage you need at the lowest offered price.
What Does Winthrop Car Insurance Cover?
Car insurance policies are a mixture of required and optional coverage. As a resident of Winthrop, your policy must meet or exceed the state’s minimum coverage requirements. You can expect your insurance provider to offer the following types of coverage:
- Liability insurance (required): This covers other people’s injuries and damage if you cause an accident. Your policy must include:
- Bodily-injury liability coverage of at least $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident; and
- Property damage liability coverage of at least $5,000 per accident.
- Personal injury protection (PIP) (required): This pays for medical expenses for you and your passengers if you are injured in a collision, regardless of fault. Your policy must include at least $8,000 in personal injury protection insurance.
- Uninsured motorist insurance (required): This provides coverage if you are in a collision with an uninsured, underinsured, or hit-and-run driver. Your policy must include bodily injury coverage of at last $20,000 per person and $40,000 per accident.
- Collision and comprehensive insurance (partially optional): Both cover damage to your vehicle, regardless of fault. Though optional by law, these coverage types are often required by lenders until your car is paid in full and by dealerships if you have your vehicle on a lease.
- Roadside assistance and towing (optional): This pays for necessary assistance if your vehicle becomes disabled while you are out on the road, such as if you get a flat tire or run out of gas.
- Rental reimbursement coverage (optional): This pays for the cost of renting a replacement vehicle while repairs are being made to your car following a covered event.
Talk to your insurance agent for help determining how much liability coverage you can reasonably afford and to discuss which coverage options may be right for you.
What Is the Penalty for Driving without Insurance in Winthrop?
Driving without insurance is illegal in Massachusetts. If caught, uninsured drivers can face the following:
- A civil motor vehicle infraction (CMVI) conviction on their record
- A fine ranging from $500 to $5,000
- Driver’s license suspension for 60 days to one year
- A fee of $500 to be paid to the state’s assigned risk plan (MAIP)
- Incarceration for up to one year for repeat offenders
This state has some of the toughest penalties for uninsured driving in the nation. It should therefore come as no surprise that it also has one of the lowest percentages of uninsured drivers.
- Percentage of US drivers who are uninsured: 13%
- Percentage of Massachusetts drivers who are uninsured: 6.2%
Because you are required to have uninsured motorist insurance in your car insurance policy, you can rest assured that if an uninsured driver is responsible for a collision with your vehicle, you will receive the compensation you are due without needing to go through expensive lawyers or time-consuming lawsuits.
How High Is the Auto Theft Rate in Winthrop?
The auto theft rate in Massachusetts is lower than the national average, and in Winthrop, the risk is even lower. Residents of this city report fewer than 10 auto thefts in a typical year.
- National auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 2.28
- Massachusetts auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.96
- Winthrop auto theft rate per 1,000 vehicles: 0.32
While the risk is low, you should be aware that in order for you to be reimbursed for auto theft, your car insurance policy must include comprehensive coverage. Comprehensive insurance can cover a wide range of other damaging hazards such as hail, floods, and falling objects. If you are still paying for your car or leasing it, you probably already have comprehensive coverage. If not, talk to your insurance agent to learn how much it will cost you to add this useful “other than collision” coverage to your car insurance policy.
Why Work with an Independent Insurance Agent in Winthrop, MA?
Independent agents can be extremely helpful when you are looking for the car insurance policy that best suits you. These insurance professionals can explain your many coverage options, answer your insurance-related questions, and provide you with quotes from multiple providers.
Discover the many benefits of working with an independent agent. Contact an insurance agent with an office near you to set up a one-on-one consultation.
©2021, Consumer Agent Portal, LLC. All rights reserved.