There is no suburb of Detroit more beautiful and notable than Bloomfield Hills. Within minutes of Motown, the city provides amazing amenities for both city and country living. But you need a car to get around, and if you live and drive in Bloomfield Hills, MI auto insurance is a must. In order to find the car insurance that fits your car and your lifestyle at a cost you can afford, talk to your Independent Insurance Agent today. Your agent can help you navigate the wide range of options and requirements to find the policy that fits your needs the best. Car insurance is expensive in Michigan for a lot of reasons:
- Across the U.S. car insurance cost averaged $1,311 in recent years.
- In Michigan it was a stunning $2,476.
- This puts the state as the highest in the nation.
- There were $12.8 billion in losses those years.
The primary reasons why car insurance is so expensive are a high rate of auto theft and uninsured drivers. You need to understand what you can do to protect your car before you choose the right insurance for your situation. Saving on car insurance may be appealing, but if it leaves you stuck you may regret it later.
Michigan Car Insurance Requirements
State law mandates that you have basic liability coverage. You may want more than the basic liability and loss protection, however, based on your situation. Your legal requirements and options for car insurance include the following:
- Bodily Injury Liability: This is required, with a minimum of $20,000 per person covered and a minimum of $40,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability: This is also required, with a minimum of $10,000 for any property (primarily other cars) damaged in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection: This is not required, but you may choose to cover any injuries to yourself.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: This is not required in Michigan, but it is important for reasons discussed below.
- Comprehensive: This is not required. This is a policy that includes all of the above plus many additional features, including coverage of any damage to the car for any reason.
Above and beyond these requirements, you can select to have comprehensive coverage on your vehicle. This is coverage for any ding or nick, whether it is caused by an accident, vandalism or theft. You can also have it pay for a rental car and a tow truck to pick you up by the side of the road while yours is in the shop. Comprehensive coverage is the best way to keep your car looking great no matter what and keep you on the road.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Michigan
Though it is not required, uninsured motorist coverage is a good idea in Bloomfield Hills. The statistics from recent years show that Michigan has a very high rate of uninsured drivers on the roads:
- Nationally, 12.6% of all drivers are uninsured.
- In Michigan 21.0% of all drivers have no insurance.
In case of an accident, this will pay you if the other driver does not have insurance, no matter what happens to you. Without this coverage, you could be on the hook for an accident that is not your fault. Many drivers in Michigan take this coverage because, with nearly one in five drivers out there not covered, it is very important.
Number of Auto Thefts in Michigan
The other fact that drives up the cost of car insurance in Michigan is that Michigan experiences a very high rate of car theft. In recent years, you can see the difference:
- Across the U.S., 2.94 out of every 1,000 cars were stolen each year.
- In Michigan, the rate was 3.33 out of every 1,000 cars.
If you do not have a comprehensive policy, the risk of your car being stolen is entirely on you. There are many things you can do to reduce the risk of auto theft, but the most important is to have a secure garage or other place to park your car at night. It’s also important to use the alarm that comes on nearly every car today. The right policy for you isn’t always the cheapest, so it is important to shop around with different companies to find the policy that works best with your lifestyle.
Find a Great Bloomfield Hills Car Insurance Policy
Your car insurance policy has to fit your car, your lifestyle, and your budget. With all of the choices that go into this, along with state requirements, the best thing you can do is to talk to your Independent Agent. Your agent will find the best policy for your needs and get you multiple quotes so that you can compare them and find the most affordable coverage for yourself.