From growing produce to raising livestock, farmers in the Aberdeen area supply food products to local residents as well as to national and international markets. If you are among the farm or ranch owners in this northeastern part of South Dakota, you will want to be sure to protect your investment with a suitable farm insurance policy. Local independent insurance agents can help.
What Is Aberdeen Farm Insurance?
If you own a farm or a ranch in the Aberdeen area, you probably have very specific needs when it comes to insurance coverage. Farm insurance policies are designed to be fully customizable so you can get all the coverage you need, while you avoid paying for coverage that you do not.
A local independent insurance agent can help you navigate through your various options so you can easily purchase an affordably-priced policy that covers you against all of the potential hazards you may face as a farmer in Aberdeen.
Farm Insurance Covers Your Aberdeen Farmhouse
Most farmers and ranchers have their family home on their farm property. Rather than purchasing a traditional home insurance policy, you can get coverage for your residence through your farm insurance policy. Farm insurance can cover the structure of your home if it is damaged by a number of severe weather events that are likely to strike in Aberdeen. These include hail storms, lightning, gusty winds, and freezing temperatures.
Tornado damage is covered as well. Although the risk of tornadoes in the Aberdeen area is 12% lower than the national average, this hazard does exist. A few years back, an F4 twister touched down just 15 miles from the Aberdeen city center. A tornado can severely damage or even destroy your home, so it can bring you peace of mind to know that you are covered if this happens.
Your policy can also provide you with contents coverage for the property kept inside your home if it is lost or damaged due to hazards such as fire, theft, or severe weather. Additionally, if a covered event renders your home uninhabitable, your policy can cover your temporary living expenses while repairs are made.
Aberdeen Farm Insurance Covers Your Other Property
Of course, your farm or ranch includes much more personal property than just your home. Farm insurance can provide you with property coverage for a number of other things such as:
- Outbuildings: This includes coverage for damage to any other structures on your farm or ranch property, including barns, sheds, garages, and storage units.
- Equipment: Most farms and ranches rely on their farm equipment, such as tractors, balers, and sprayers, in their day-to-day operations. If this equipment is lost or damaged due to a covered event, your farm insurance policy can provide you with compensation so that you can quickly replace or repair your damaged machinery and equipment and keep things running smoothly.
- Other property: Depending on the scope of your farm or ranch, you may also require coverage for additional property such as livestock, feed, and irrigation systems. You can build a farm insurance policy that will provide you with suitable coverage for this valuable property.
Aberdeen Farm Insurance Covers against Liability Risks
Your farm or ranch is more than just your home. It is a business. As such, you have higher liability risks than the average Aberdeen homeowner. Farm liability insurance is designed to cover your court costs, legal defense fees, and damages for a number of potential liability risks including:
- Premises liability coverage: Like a traditional home insurance policy, this can cover damage and injuries sustained by third parties while on your property.
- Product liability coverage: If products produced on your farm cause injury or illness to others, this can provide coverage for the resultant damages.
- Commercial vehicle liability coverage: Farm vehicles like trailers or hay balers are sometimes driven on public roads. If your worker is involved in an accident while driving a farm vehicle, the liability costs can be high. Fortunately, your commercial vehicle liability insurance has you covered.
- Coverage for worker injuries: In South Dakota, workers' compensation coverage is not required for farm or agricultural workers. You may, however, want to buy coverage to protect your farm or ranch from potential liability lawsuits if a worker is injured while in your employment.
What Else Can Aberdeen Farm Insurance Cover?
Most farm insurance policies also allow for additional coverage options, including:
- Equipment breakdown coverage: This can help cover the cost to repair malfunctioning equipment as well as the cost of renting comparable equipment while repairs are made. That way, you can keep your farm operations running smoothly.
- Farm income coverage: Severe weather events and other hazards can do more than just damage farm property. They can result in lower-than-expected farm output and profits. If a covered event causes a loss in earnings, this coverage can make up the difference.
- Debris removal coverage: A major storm can cause trees to topple and outbuildings to collapse. If this happens, you can be left with a lot of debris on your property, which can be expensive to clean up. This insurance can cover the associated costs.
Talk to an independent insurance agent in Aberdeen to learn about these and other coverage options that are available to you. Your agent can help you determine which options are a good fit for your particular farm or ranch.
Why Talk to an Independent Insurance Agent in Aberdeen, SD?
When you contact a local independent agent for help with your insurance coverage needs, you can rest assured that you are speaking with someone who is familiar with the risks faced by farm and ranch owners in the Aberdeen area. Your agent can help you find a suitable policy at an affordable price.
Contact an insurance agent near you to learn more, and you can soon start comparing quotes for Aberdeen farm and ranch insurance coverage.