With the Colorado River and three lakes inside the city limits, this state capital provides many opportunities for boaters. City residents might enjoy an afternoon canoe ride around Lady Bird Lake or bass fishing boats on Lake Austin. One thing that can help make boat ownership more secure and enjoyable is the right Austin, TX boat insurance policy.
If you already own a boat or are planning to buy one, comparing Austin boat insurance quotes and plans can help you save money on your coverage. It can also help you be sure you have the right policy if you ever do need to make a damage or injury claim. A local member of the Trusted Choice® network can help you evaluate your unique boat insurance needs and recommend policy options. Find a member agent today.
Costs and Facts for Local Boaters
- Insurance for personal boats may cost less than $1 a day.
- The average personal boat insurance cost estimate is $300 to $500 a year.
- Typical boat policies include these deductibles: $250 for property damage, $500 for theft and $1,000 for medical payments.
- Liability limits may start at $15,000, but can be increased.
- Texas requires boat registrations for motorized watercrafts
Just as there is not one boat type in the city, there is not one price for Austin boat insurance. Your rates will depend upon the type of boat you own, the way you use it, and how much coverage you plan to purchase. Here are some examples that may help you understand the difference in prices between various types of watercraft:
- Your coverage needs may be different depending upon how you get your boat to the water. For example, a boater who tows a motorboat to the lake will have different concerns than one who has a personal dock and never tows the boat over land.
- In some cases, your boat may be partially covered by other policies. Some auto policies may provide vehicle liability insurance while you are towing your boat. A home policy might provide some coverage if your boat is damaged while stored at your residence.
Save on Boat Insurance
Our independent agents shop around to find you the best coverage.
Why Is Coverage Important?
- State boat accidents, 2010: 152
- State boating-related injuries, 2010: 136
- State boating-related deaths, 2010: 27
You may not be legally required to purchase Austin boat insurance, but you still may be responsible for injuries or damages that are caused while you are out enjoying your watercraft. You may want to consider property damage to your boat, as well as liability claims if someone else is injured or has property damaged.
What Does Boat Insurance Cover?
You may choose from a variety of different boat insurance plans and coverage limits. Some companies will provide a policy with different types of coverage bundled together.
These are some options to discuss with a local agent:
- Liability for bodily injury and property damage to third parties
- Property damage to the craft and to things kept on the watercraft
- Towing and roadside assistance while towing
- Medical bill coverage for injuries
- Uninsured/underinsured boaters coverage in case your boat is damaged or you are hurt by an uninsured or hit-and-run boater
Compare and Find Austin Boat Insurance Quotes
Your local independent Trusted Choice member agent can make it simple to find the best coverage for your watercraft. These agents can help you understand your insurance choices and compare rates from different insurers. Contact a member agent to learn more about Austin boat insurance today.