Due to its proximity to Houston, Pasadena shares many of the same roads that earned Houston several mentions on the Texas Department of Transportation’s list of the most congested roadways in the state. Because of congestion, accidents frequently occur on Interstate 45 and the Pasadena Freeway. Accidents can occur just as easily on residential streets, so residents of this city should be sure to have a comprehensive Pasadena, TX car insurance policy.
Having the proper auto insurance coverage in place cannot prevent a traffic accident, but it can prevent the accident from causing you undue financial strain. Find an agent in the Trusted Choice® network to help you assess your coverage needs and to help you learn more about your many policy options.
How Much Coverage Is Required?
Texas state law mandates minimum coverage requirements for resident vehicle owners. There are stiff penalties for failure to carry the required insurance coverage. First offenders face fines of $175 to $350; subsequent offenders are subject to fines of $350 to $1,000, impoundment of their vehicle, and license suspension.
Texas Car Insurance Requirements
- Bodily injury liability: required
- Property damage liability: required
- Personal injury protection (PIP): not required
- Uninsured motorist: not required
- Minimum liability limits: 30/60/25
- Coverage up to $60,000 per accident for all persons
- Coverage up to $30,000 per accident for one person
- Coverage up to $25,000 per accident for property damage
The Federal Highway Administration reports that the average cost associated with treating injuries sustained in car accidents was as high as $68,170 per person, and the costs associated with fatal accidents can be as high as $3.2 million.
If you have only state minimum coverage and you are responsible for a severe injury in a vehicular collision, you will have to pay any costs that exceed the liability coverage limits. This can cause a great deal of financial hardship. You can avoid this risk by simply increasing your liability coverage or by purchasing an umbrella insurance policy.
How Much Does Pasadena Car Insurance Cost?
Statewide, the average cost of an auto insurance policy is a bit higher than the national average. Many factors can influence coverage costs, so you should view these averages as guidelines only.
Factors influencing your coverage costs include your coverage options, your driving record, your car's value and your driving habits. Where and how often you drive your car also influence your costs.
Texas Car Insurance Costs
- National average annual premium: $1,311
- Texas average annual premium: $1,449
- 17th most expensive premiums in the U.S.
Often, you can qualify for policy discounts if you have multiple policies with the same provider, agree to automatic electronic payments on your premiums and have had a clean driving record for a given amount of time. This is a good thing to research with any insurance company you consider.
Why Purchase Optional Coverage?
When you purchase your Pasadena auto insurance policy, you are not limited to liability coverage. You can also purchase the following types of optional insurance:
- Uninsured motorist coverage to pay for damage caused by a driver who isn't covered by insurance
- Medical payments coverage to pay for medical expenses related to an auto accident
- Property damage coverage to pay for damage to covered property
- Comprehensive or "other than collision" coverage to pay for damage caused by an other-than-collision incident, including fire, wind, flood, theft and more
Texas Uninsured Motorists
- National uninsured motorists: 12.6%
- Texas uninsured motorists: 13.3%
- Average vehicle repair cost in Texas: $2,434
Although the state has been taking measures against uninsured drivers, many violators continue to take to the roads. For this reason, you may want to consider adding uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage to your policy. That way, if you are in an accident with an uninsured driver while driving down the Sam Houston Tollway, this coverage will protect you against any medical bills or property damage.
Thefts in Texas
- National vehicle thefts (per 1,000 registered vehicles): 2.94
- Texas vehicle thefts (per 1,000 registered vehicles): 3.28
Pasadena lies on the southeast side of the Houston metropolitan area, but it is a more suburban city. Recently, residents of Pasadena reported only 529 auto thefts. This equates to about 3.44 thefts per every 1,000 registered vehicles, which is higher than the national average.
Residents of Pasadena should keep vehicles locked and avoid leaving valuable items within sight of potential criminals. You will receive compensation for your stolen vehicle only if you have comprehensive ("other than collision") insurance.
Compare Pasadena Auto Insurance Quotes
Insurance experts strongly recommend that you obtain a minimum of three policy quotes before selecting an insurance provider for your car insurance policy. An independent agent in the Trusted Choice network can simplify the process by doing the research for you.
Contact an agent in your neighborhood to get the information you need, and start comparing Pasadena auto insurance policy quotes today.