Thousands of miles of rivers and lakes are definitely a highlight in Idaho. From extreme whitewater rafting to world-class fishing, there’s a water adventure for every desire in Idaho. Whether you use your Jet Ski to play in the waters of Lake Pend Oreille or you take your WaveRunner to Twin Lakes every summer, you may want to consider finding PWC insurance to protect yourself and your property. Before you search for quotes, however, keep the following in mind.
The Risks and Costs of PWC Accidents in Idaho
According to the U.S. Coast Guard, the following took place in Idaho in recent years:
- 66 accidents took place on Idaho waters.
- 11 people died due to boating or PWC accidents.
- 35 people suffered injuries in boating or PWC accidents.
- 20 accidents involved damage to property.
- PWC or boating accidents caused $341,905 in property damage.
Why Is PWC Insurance Important?
Chances are you have invested much into your personal watercraft and you'd rather not have that sink, along with your PWC, should an accident take place. PWC insurance not only protects your craft in the event it is damaged, but it can also protect your savings and assets should someone sue you for causing injury to another boater or swimmer. You wouldn't go powerboating in unknown waters without a life vest, and neither should you operate your PWC without the protection of a comprehensive insurance policy.
Are You Required To Carry PWC Insurance in Idaho?
Although PWC insurance is not legally required, it's still a good idea to protect yourself. While ID statutes are silent on PWC insurance, they do set forth guidelines you should follow while operating your craft. ID law requires boater education under these circumstances:
- Personal watercraft rental businesses must provide education to each person who will ride and operate the PWC. The operator of the PWC must carry a verification wallet card. Idaho State Parks and Recreation provides the education materials to rental businesses.
- In addition to penalties, boat and PWC operators must pass a boating course if they have a conviction for operating under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
- In addition, there are local age regulations in certain areas, such as Benewah, Bonner, and Kootenai counties in Idaho. Be sure to contact the counties and cities where you plan to boat about their local ordinances.
Finding Coverage for Your Particular PWC
Most Idaho insurance companies offer protection for a variety of watercraft, including, but not limited to, the following types and brands:
- Water scooter
- Jet Ski
- Stand up PWC
- Sit down PWC
What Does PWC Insurance Cover?
The majority of Idaho insurance companies offer the following types of coverage options for your PWC:
- Damage to your PWC
- Property damage you cause to another person’s dock, boat, personal watercraft or other property
- Bodily injury or death for which you are found responsible
- Any injuries you sustain from an accident caused by an uninsured boater
- Medical payments you may be required to pay
- Wreckage removal or towing
- Personal property coverage for your PWC accessories
- PWC trailer coverage
You can usually personalize your policy by increasing the amount of coverage or by adding additional endorsements such as extra liability coverage that would protect you from paying the costs of a lawsuit in the event someone sues you.
What Will Your PWC Insurance Quotes Look Like?
The average annual quote for PWC coverage can be anywhere from $150 to $500 for a basic plan. The quotes you receive for PWC insurance depend on a number of factors. Most Idaho insurance companies will take the following into account when determining your quotes:
- The year, make and model of your PWC
- The horsepower, engine type and maximum operating speed of your PWC
- The value of your PWC
- Any modifications you have made to your PWC
- Any boater safety courses you have completed
Additionally, your PWC insurance rates will depend on the amount and type of coverage you choose. Quotes for a basic insurance policy that only covers collision damage will be much lower than quotes for a comprehensive policy that covers you for liability, theft or weather damage to your PWC.
Where Can You Find PWC Insurance in Idaho?
Don't let your pleasure boating be hampered by a lack of insurance coverage. Independent insurance agents in our network are always here to help answer any questions you may have about PWC insurance, suggest coverage options and even help you file a claim. Their years of experience working with Idaho insurance providers enable them to find you a variety of quotes from a number of insurance providers.
Contact an agent in your area to find out how you can start hitting the waves with the protection of PWC insurance.