There are a lot of great amenities just a short distance from North Andover, MA. From a day trip to New Hampshire or the Cape to a weekend in the Berkshires or a quick trip into Boston itself, there is a lot in the area to see and do. But it takes a car to get around when you’re this far out of the city, and under state law, that means you have to have car insurance.
If you live in North Andover, auto insurance comes with many different options and requirements that can be hard to navigate. Your Independent Insurance Agent can help you to find the car insurance that fits your needs at the best price possible. By shopping around for multiple quotes from many different companies, you will be able to compare and find the car insurance for both your lifestyle and your wallet.
It is expensive to insure a car in Massachusetts. In recent years, the U.S. average for car insurance was $1,311. In the Bay State, it came to a stunning $1,460 for the same year. There was $6.5 million in losses through the state during the same time, which explains why insurance is so high. Despite these daunting figures, there are many things you can do to keep your car insurance affordable. The cost of your policy is based on the following:
- Your coverage and deductibles - How much are you covered for in any claim?
- Your vehicle - A more expensive car to repair costs more to insure.
- Your driving habits, i.e., how often and how far you drive - Usually, an insurer will take your word for it.
- Your ZIP code - How much vandalism has there been in your neighborhood?
- Your driving record - Are you accident- and ticket-free?
- Your credit history - A credit risk is considered to be an insurance risk.
- Your age, sex, and marital status - Single males under 25 are the highest risk.
With costs as high as they are, it’s important to understand all of these factors and what you can do to keep the cost of your car insurance down as you drive around North Andover.
Massachusetts Car Insurance Requirements
State law requires every car and driver to have basic liability insurance. You may choose to have more coverage, but all insurance policies start with the state laws. The kinds of insurance you can select are listed below:
- Bodily Injury Liability: State law requires a minimum of $20,000 per person covered and a minimum of $40,000 total for all persons injured in an accident.
- Property Damage Liability: The state requires a minimum of $5,000 in protection against damage to any property in an accident.
- Personal Injury Protection: This is also required for all motorists, with a minimum of $5,000 in protection against injury.
- Uninsured Motorist Coverage: Coverage against uninsured drivers is required in Massachusetts as well.
- Comprehensive: This is not required. This is a policy that includes all of the above plus many additional features, including coverage of any damage to the car for any reason.
Comprehensive insurance is commonly chosen by anyone with a new car that they rely on and want to keep looking its best. This covers everything, including damage from vandalism and theft. Some policies include rental car coverage when your car is in the shop and towing to get you there. If you need a car every day to get around North Andover, you may choose this coverage so that you are never left by the side of the road.
Number of Uninsured Motorists in Massachusetts
Uninsured motorist coverage is required by law in Massachusetts. That’s a good thing, even though there are far fewer people who drive without the legally required insurance than the national average. The statistics from recent years show it plainly:
- Nationally, 12.6% of all drivers are uninsured.
- In Massachusetts, 3.3% of all drivers have no insurance.
If you are hit by a driver who has no insurance, you have to sue in court to recover any losses you realize, such as damage to your car or your medical bills. That’s all taken care of with an uninsured driver policy, which you are required to have under state law.
Number of Auto Thefts in Massachusetts
Auto theft isn’t a big problem in Massachusetts. These are the data from recent years:
- Across the U.S., 2.94 out of every 1,000 cars were stolen each year.
- In Massachusetts, the rate was 1.91 out of every 1,000 cars.
The risk of theft is lower than average, but there are still car thieves out there. It’s a good reason to select comprehensive coverage, which will pay off in case your car is stolen. Drivers who don’t have this coverage are taking on the risk of theft themselves. If you don’t want to have to buy a new car if yours is stolen, you may want to consider comprehensive coverage despite the higher cost.
Find a Great North Andover Car Insurance Policy
As great as life is in North Andover, you need a car to be able to get around and enjoy it. There are many options for you, and finding the right insurance for your lifestyle and your budget can be a challenge. Talk to your Independent Agent today so that they can point you toward the right insurance for your needs and get you the quote for your car at a cost you can afford.