Does My Renter's Insurance Cover Floods?

(Get your answers from an expert and find the coverage you need.)
Written by Ashley Surinak
Written by Ashley Surinak

Insurance doesn’t have to be boring. That’s why we hired Ashley Surinak to be our BA insurance writer. Ashley specializes in making mundane subjects hella-entertaining.

Ask an Insurance Expert graphic

Q: Does My Renter's Insurance Cover Floods?

A: If you have a standard renters insurance policy, it won't cover general flood damage. To understand why, you need to understand what "named perils" means for most renters insurance policies.

Named perils policies are policies that only cover problems named in the policy itself. This means that water damage may be covered, provided that the source of the water is covered in the policy. This might be water from plumbing, radiators, air conditioners, or other appliances in the home. However, generalized flooding is not covered. 

If you want flood coverage, even while you're renting, you'll need a separate flood insurance policy. Talk to your independent agent to discuss options and pricing.

Share this page on Twitter Share this page on Facebook Share this page on LinkedIn