What does flood insurance cover?

Flood insurance coverage varies depending on the policy you purchase. At a basic level, flood insurance can cover buildings, personal belongings, or both. Here’s a better breakdown of what each covers:

  • Buildings: Building coverage pays for damage to the physical structure of the building and related systems, like plumbing, HVAC, and built-in furniture (like cabinets). Detached garages are also generally covered.
  • Personal belongings: Personal belonging coverage is what it sounds like. It covers everything from your clothing to movable furniture, electronics, appliances, and more. Be careful with valuable belongings, like artwork. If it’s a special piece of property like a piece of art, you’ll want to get it appraised so you get the full replacement value if it’s ever destroyed. 

If you’re required to purchase flood insurance or are thinking you may want a flood policy in case of a storm, talk to an independent insurance agent. He or she will help you determine whether you’ll want building coverage, personal belonging coverage, or both. 

Share this page on Twitter Share this page on Facebook Share this page on LinkedIn