On the surface, you as a photographer are an artist. But as a professional, you’re also treated like a business. And that makes it important for you to protect your photography business from damage caused by thieves, Mother Nature, human error, and lawsuit-happy customers.
So if you wanna keep capturing the finer things in life, finding the right photography insurance is pretty important. Our independent insurance agents know the ins and outs of photography insurance and will help you find the protection you need to keep your focus.
What Is Photography Business Insurance?
In short, photography business insurance is a souped-up business owners policy that not only covers your camera, lenses, computers, and other equipment, but also provides liability insurance for when gigs go wrong, photos are ruined, and clients are livid.
Why Do I Need Photography Business Insurance?
Photography equipment is expensive, portable, and delicate—a prime target for thieves and Murphy’s Law mishaps. And if photography is your main source of income, losing or damaging your property can be devastating to more than just your business, it can also hurt your livelihood. Insurance payouts help you avoid that.
Insurance is especially important if you shoot weddings, proms, award shows, and other once-in-a-lifetime events. If your photos come out wrecked, you don’t get a do-over. Clients could sue, and without insurance, you’re on the hook for that money.
If you’re not quite sure if your photo-snapping life is at this point yet, here’s a few tells that it’s time to line up a policy:
- If you have a studio: Studios mean more equipment that can get damaged or stolen and more customers who can sue.
- If you have top-of-the-line equipment: It might be possible to replace low- to mid-range stuff out of pocket, but once you’re working with an industry gold standard, it’s time to insure it.
- If you have (or want) big-name clients: Many clients, like major businesses and headliner events, won’t work with you if you don’t have insurance.
- If photography is a primary source of income: If your photography business is a side hustle, you might be able to get by without insurance, making ends meet with your day job. Not so if photography is your day job.
What Does Photography Business Insurance Cover?
Photography business insurance is usually sold as part of a bundle of business and liability insurance policies suited for most photography businesses. This blend of important coverages can pretty much protect anything your business needs to function.
Here are a few highlights:
- Damage: Fire, natural disaster, accidents, and other party poopers that damage your equipment or studio.
- Theft: Cameras and laptops attract thieves on a daily basis—theft coverage has your back.
- Lawsuits: Protects you from quick-tempered customers, whether you actually made a mistake or they just don’t like the way their hair looked in the photos.
- Injuries and other mishaps in studios: If someone trips over a power cord and breaks a leg, this type of coverage pays for hospital bills, so you don’t have to.
What Other Steps Can I Take To Protect My Photography Business?
Lock your stuff up when you’re not using it, keep a travel log so you know exactly when things went missing or got damaged, and use written contracts for clients so everyone knows what they’re agreeing to. These things make it easier to get insurance, and you should be doing them anyway.
How Much Does Photography Business Insurance Cost?
It depends on your photography business’s size and risk. Side-hustle photographers whose income is low because they only shoot birthday and retirement parties every other weekend will likely pay only a few hundred dollars in premiums each year.
On the other hand, if you’re a full-time globetrotter who only documents royal weddings and rare volcano eruptions, your premiums could be in the thousands.
What’s So Great about Independent Insurance Agents?
Independent insurance agents simplify the process by shopping and comparing insurance policies and rates for you. Not only that, they’ll explain all the fancy jargon in human terms, so you know exactly what you’re getting.
Plus, they’re the only agents who can work with multiple carriers, which gives you more options for finding the perfect photography insurance for you. Most importantly, they've got your back and will help you when claim time comes.
Comparing Photography Business Insurance Quotes
Our gifted agents work with you one-on-one to evaluate your needs and find the photography business coverage that’s perfect for you. They’ll compare policies and quotes from multiple insurance companies to make sure you have the protection you need at the right price. So you’ll have that going for you.