Does Homeowner's Insurance Cover Flooding?

(Get your answers from an expert and find the coverage you need.)
Written by Ashley Surinak
Written by Ashley Surinak

Insurance doesn’t have to be boring. That’s why we hired Ashley Surinak to be our BA insurance writer. Ashley specializes in making mundane subjects hella-entertaining.

Ask an Insurance Expert graphic

Q: Does homeowner's insurance cover flooding?

A: Homeowner's insurance doesn't cover flooding. Flood insurance is a special type of insurance that you can purchase either through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) run by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), or a select number of private insurers.  Either way, a specialized flood policy is required in high-risk areas and might be a good idea even if you don't live in a federally-designated area of risk. 

If you aren't sure whether you're required to purchase flood insurance or if purchasing flood insurance is beneficial regardless of that requirement, your independent insurance agent can help. 

Share this page on Twitter Share this page on Facebook Share this page on LinkedIn